Is Geno Atkins a Hall of Famer?

Jason_Bengal_Fl

Geno Atkins  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is Geno Atkins a Hall of Famer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Borderline, needs another good year

I don’t think so. He just doesn’t have the name recognition to get in. He’s never been considered the premier DT in the NFL, which will hurt his cause. 

He’s as good as they come, but I don’t think he gets enough credit from the outside world. I think he misses out.

• Like 2

I’d never even considered him as a hall of fame candidate until this thread, so I voted no. 

I think what hurt him a lot was playing for the Bengals... maybe Bureauxs can change things for him. Few more good seasons and a bit of a playoff resume is what Geno needs to sniff the Hall. 2.5 sacks in 4 playoff losses isn’t exactly the thing of legends 

Edited by Dome

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I put him the same boat as Suh. Talent and production wise, they both have been very good but lack the hardware and longevity. They both still have a chance though. 

I think Suh is way closer. Unlike Atkins, Suh was the most dominant DT for a significant amount of time. Everyone wanted to find the next Suh.

(spoiler: it’s Derrick Brown)

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Suh is way closer. Unlike Atkins, Suh was the most dominant DT for a significant amount of time. Everyone wanted to find the next Suh.

(spoiler: it’s Derrick Brown)

I would agree with this if wasn't for Suh's tarnished reputation. When people think of Suh, they think of his dirty hits, and voters won't forget that. Atkins reputation on the other hand is the complete opposite.

Suh may have a better resume than Atkins but his negative public perception brings him down to the same tier as Atkins, IMO. 

• Like 1

Right now, I think he's probably Hall of Very good tier with someone like Bryant Young. Two first team all pro's really help his case given how stacked that position has been throughout his career, and the Young comp isn't perfect, but I don't think it's far off. But he could be on that borderline (along with Young) and I wouldn't be surprised if either or both got in by the end of it. 

• Like 1

Right now, I'd say no, but he has been good enough to warrant consideration.  He doesn't have that overly elite peak, or the hardware stacked up to push him over the top, so he will probably have to compile some numbers, to eventually get in.  8 Pro Bowls looks pretty good though, even with the devaluation of pro bowl nods.  If he can cross that 100 career sack mark, and possibly hit double digit pro bowls, his resume becomes hard to ignore.   Those thresholds get him in. 

Edited by OkeyDoke21

Hall of Very Good. Has some numbers and accolades, but doesn't have enough to get consideration.

He's a great football player, and maybe in a different system or on a team with some success, we'd be discussing him in higher regards. Right now, he's on the outside looking in.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Yes.

If he played for the Ravens or Steelers this wouldn’t be a debate.

In 2 years he could surpass Warren Sapp for sacks.

Warren Sapp had 13 years under his belt and was widely regarded as the best DT in the game for multiple seasons and played for a defense that led the team to a SB win. The same as Ngata. Atkins don't quite have that resume just yet. 

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I put him the same boat as Suh. Talent and production wise, they both have been very good but lack the hardware and longevity. They both still have a chance though. 

I don't know. I guess I have different opinions from a lot of people here. Geno Atkins is a game-wrecker. Teams have been trying to find an interior pass rusher in his mold for a long time, and really the only other guy like him who has had sustainable success is Aaron Donald.

Ndamukong Suh arguably peaked as a rookie. He was really hot coming into the league, and a lot of that since then has been reputation. For the Rams and at least part of his career with the Dolphins, he was JAG with a big name. Like, yeah, he had that incredible 2014 season.

Geno Atkins, meanwhile, has been as steady as they come while playing as a sawed-off DT in a division with a lot of really good IOL during his career. I mean, this guy was getting double-digit sacks yearly facing off against guys like Marshall Yanda, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Joel Bitonio, and Maurkice Pouncey multiple times a year. DTs just don't get his numbers.

Think of it this way. While Suh has undoubtedly been getting more attention as someone who took the league by storm as a rookie, had a big personality with plenty of drama both on the field and in the locker room, Atkins has nearly 20 more sacks than him in the same length of time, but has kind of flown under some people's radar because he's a model citizen playing on a mostly irrelevant team.

He has multiple First-team All-Pros, so it's not like he hasn't had an awesome peak. And the argument could be made that if Aaron Donald hadn't been drawing all the glory at that position during his DPOY campaigns, Atkins might have more notoriety. I mean, his numbers and play were 1st-team All-Pro caliber from 2016-2018 but Donald garnered those votes during that same time frame for being even more freakish.

Teams have drafted guys like Ed Oliver, Quinnen Williams, and Solomon Thomas in recent years trying to get guys in the Aaron Donald/Geno Atkins mold. He impacted the game and kind of changed the way that teams looked at DTs before AD was even in the league.

In my mind he definitely has a case for the Hall.

@Jason_Bengal_Fl

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 5