Is Geno Atkins a Hall of Famer?

Jason_Bengal_Fl

Geno Atkins  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is Geno Atkins a Hall of Famer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Borderline, needs another good year

I think he's worthy, but I don't think he gets in without another few years of pro bowl level play (which is likely since he's made 8 pro bowls in 10 seasons). The guy is also an an ironman who rarely misses games. I could see him being dominant well into his mid-30s like London Fletcher was

On 7/28/2020 at 11:40 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I think Suh is way closer. Unlike Atkins, Suh was the most dominant DT for a significant amount of time. Everyone wanted to find the next Suh.

(spoiler: it’s Derrick Brown)

The disrespect.  Suh has 58.5 sacks in 158 games, while Geno has 75.5 sacks in 153 games.  Then there's pressure rate: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/7/9/20685593/pff-has-geno-atkins-and-a-j-green-on-pace-for-the-hall-of-fame

"his 540 quarterback pressures are 50 more than any other interior defender."

Suh only has name recognition over Atkins since they entered the league...

Realistically, he's a HoF caliber player who lacks the profile/name recognition to ever really stand a chance. Can anyone name a memorable Geno Atkins play that's going to be replayed on NFL Films retrospectives? Or a memorable Bengals defense season?

People talking about Sapp but the reality is Sapp was a star before he even entered the NFL because of his association with those great Miami Hurricane teams, then anchored some all-time great Bucs defenses and helped win them a title. He was a household name as a defensive lineman which isn't an easy thing to do. 

Cortez Kennedy is probably the most hopeful precedent for Atkins' candidacy, but Kennedy was recognized enough in his own time to win DPOY on a 2-14 team. I can't think of a time in Atkins' career where he was ever really talked about in that way. Atkins' entire prime was basically overshadowed first by JJ Watt's dominance and then by Aaron Donald's. He's got a career that unfortunately everyone outside of Cincinnati is going to forget about the second he retires. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli