Bears Players Opt Out News

WindyCity

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Not NG.  This a huge loss.  Almost as large as losing Hicks.     

Bears should take a hard look at snacks and see if he is motivated.  He sucked last year, but was a beast two years ago.  

He plays 45% of snaps. 

Hicks plays like 80%

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You can. It becomes much more difficult.

I would much rather pick Lawrence or Fields than try and find someone later on.

There is just more volatility the more picks that go by 

Really? You haven't done your homework then. 

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The problem if the season is cancelled is that the Bears won’t be in the lottery for the top pick.

They will be in the 10-20 range, or essentially QB no mans land.

Oh yeah.  It's fer sure you can only get QBs like Rodgers, Brady, Favre, Montana, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, Kurt Warner with a top ten pick.  O.o

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Eddie Goldman opts out.

Luckily the DL is where the Bears are deepest. 

Goldman's opt out add $4.85 mil to the Bears 2020 cap currently giving them around $16 mil to work with.

That's more than enough to bring him vet help at NT if they decide it's needed.

Propects include; "Snacks" Harrison, Mike Daniels, Marcel Dareus.

• Like 2

I feel absolutely no ill-will towards the players opting out, if they're not comfortable playing in this environment then by all means, take the year off. But man this sucks, Goldman is one of the best NTs going. Luckily it's at our deepest position, means Hicks and Nichols may have some moving around to do on certain snaps and there's a lot more responsibility on those guys, but there's no way we're properly replacing Goldman this season.

Goldman is just gonna be the first Bear to opt out too, sure there will be more. Just gotta wait out this week and see what shape the roster is in afterwards, every team in the NFL is gonna be down a few players this time next week.

I am so sick of talking about COVID, but when you think about it - it's stupid that they're even trying to have an NFL season in 2020. It doesn't surprise me because of the money involved, that's why they're trying to keep all sports going. But when you look at the state parts of America is still in with the pandemic, it's crazy to think it's still going ahead - MLS and MLB have tried and already had their troubles. I am so, SO keen to watch some football, but it's pretty uncomfortable right now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

I feel absolutely no ill-will towards the players opting out, if they're not comfortable playing in this environment then by all means, take the year off. But man this sucks, Goldman is one of the best NTs going. Luckily it's at our deepest position, means Hicks and Nichols may have some moving around to do on certain snaps and there's a lot more responsibility on those guys, but there's no way we're properly replacing Goldman this season.

Goldman is just gonna be the first Bear to opt out too, sure there will be more. Just gotta wait out this week and see what shape the roster is in afterwards, every team in the NFL is gonna be down a few players this time next week.

I am so sick of talking about COVID, but when you think about it - it's stupid that they're even trying to have an NFL season in 2020. It doesn't surprise me because of the money involved, that's why they're trying to keep all sports going. But when you look at the state parts of America is still in with the pandemic, it's crazy to think it's still going ahead - MLS and MLB have tried and already had their troubles. I am so, SO keen to watch some football, but it's pretty uncomfortable right now. 

I couldn't agree more nor could I have said it any better than you have.  🏆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Hicks is more important.  But people underestimate the value of good inside play and protecting LBs.  

Yup which leads me to believe Pace may look to bring in another big body NT type to share snaps with Jenkins whose a definite downgrade from Goldman.

Nichols has been used at NT before but doing so leaves us thin at DE and other than Jenkins all I can find on the roster is a rookie,  Lee Autry.

With players like Harrison, Daniels, and Dareus still unsigned kicking someone's tires to see if we can bring them in on a cheap 1 year deal makes some sense.

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Oh yeah.  It's fer sure you can only get QBs like Rodgers, Brady, Favre, Montana, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, Kurt Warner with a top ten pick.  O.o

You can. But it requires other teams to pass on them.

The longer you wait the more likely you are to not get your choice of players.

The higher you pick, the less risk you assume. The Bears could get a good QB at 19, but it requires a good bit of luck.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You can. But it requires other teams to pass on them.

The longer you wait the more likely you are to not get your choice of players.

The higher you pick, the less risk you assume. The Bears could get a good QB at 19, but it requires a good bit of luck.

Well that's kind of a given isn't it?

But wouldn't it also mean that in the examples I used if coupled with the many Ryan Leafs, Blake Bortles, Christian Ponders and other failures that picking any top college QB who eventually succeeds at a higher level requires a certain degree of luck?  And that for every Aaron Rodgers there's also a Blake Bortles hiding in each and every draft?  And sometimes success comes later on with a Russell Wilson (3rd) or a Tom Brady (6th).  Not all that often true, but also not ever.

I'm not quite sure where to go to easily sift through the data or have the time today to do it but I'd wager there have been just as many top ten failures as there have been successes and maybe just as many successes taken after #10 as there have been with top ten picks.  If so that would say the risk of a top ten pick not doing as well as a later pick may be much greater than you think.  How many QBs got taken ahead of Dan Marino in 1983?  Seems a lot of GMs missed the boat then.

Call it great luck or call it great insight or whatever you like but picking a winner QB isn't easy and it isn't only Bears GMs who've had that problem.  Every team in the NFL has drafted "stinkers" before including Green Bay and I was living there when they did.  That they've also managed somehow to have back to back HOF'ers from a 2nd round draft pick #33 and a 1st round pick #24 means that all 32 teams passes on Favre and 23 passed on Rodger before they were taken.  It's not an exact science.

I'm of the belief that we still don't know what we have in Mitch Trubisky but if he does fail as an NFL starter then in comparison to Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson it will be another example of where a #2 pick failed to do as well as two later picks.  It happens in almost every draft and far more often than many seem to think it does so I'm not gonna call a failure by Mitch a death knell for Pace's job any more than passing on Rodgers should have cost Jerry Angelo his job.

All of this tells me just one thing.  It's all about who you pick not when you pick him so Pace will get to draft another QB.  That much I'm certain of.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You can. It becomes much more difficult.

I would much rather pick Lawrence or Fields than try and find someone later on.

There is just more volatility the more picks that go by 

If they decide to carry on with the draft in 2021 in the event of no CFB or NFL seasons then I doubt they will do a lottery just based on last year's standings.  How would that be fair?

Every team should have a legit shot of getting the #1 pick IMO.  Do something similar to what the NHL did back when the Penguins were awarded #1 after the lockout year in 2005 and they drafted Sidney Crosby.  It was a weighted lottery based on playoff appearances the previous 3 years and #1 overall draft picks. 

For instance a team that just got 1st overall last draft should not get the best odds again based on standings from 2 seasons ago.  When you consider how much the NFL changes so from year to year that would be the only fair way to do it in my opinion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, soulman said:

Goldman's opt out add $4.85 mil to the Bears 2020 cap currently giving them around $16 mil to work with.

That's more than enough to bring him vet help at NT if they decide it's needed.

Propects include; "Snacks" Harrison, Mike Daniels, Marcel Dareus.

Ya I guess that's the good news we can take from this.

Can't hate on a guy for putting his best interests in mind when it comes to his health.  He's leaving money on the table to do so.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya I guess that's the good news we can take from this.

Can't hate on a guy for putting his best interests in mind when it comes to his health.  He's leaving money on the table to do so.

He is and what concerns me is how many others may also opt out?  We'll know soon enough on that score but what we can't predict any time soon is what may happen if key players are subject to a two week quarantine during the season?

How do teams adequately prepare for one another or even prepare themselves when if on Friday night or Saturday a key player or players test positive and are out for that game alone not to mention the next?  Game plans may get trashed and we could see a whole lot of playground football if that begins to happen.

Even with as many precautions as the NFL is taking in comparison to MLB I can still see a major cluster **** happening eventually that may shut them down.