The Curse of having a Franchise QB

Green19

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

My opinion is I don't think our talent is honestly that bad, I'd say it's overall slightly above average. I think people just look at who the starter is and not the depth.

If the talent in GB outside the QB is and has been above average, then GB is a 9 or 10 win team with even average QB play, right?

The Packers won 10 games last year, 10 in 2015, 12 in 2014, 8 in 2013 (when Rodgers got hurt), and 11 in 2012.  That is an average of just over 10 wins over the past 5 seasons.

The premise of your thread is that Rodgers is a franchise QB. I guess you believe he is thus worth maybe 1 additional 1 win per year.

I disagree and suggest the team's 2013 record without Rodgers is a better indicator of the team's overall talent sans Rodgers and his worth as a franchise QB.

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

IMO This is a 6-10 or 5-11 team without Rodgers.

You mean the record that every team without a franchise QB gets year after year? That's my point... the Bengals likely will have that record by the end of the year. 

If we switch QBs and get the same record as the crazy talented Bengals... doesn't that mean the Bengals roster isn't dripping with more talent as what's being claimed?

Given all their talent Texans hover around those records year after year... in the worse division in football. So yeah we have Rodgers but we'd be doing the same as them without Rodgers.... but how? if our talent is so low compared to them.

Just now, Green19 said:

You mean the record that every team without a franchise QB gets year after year? That's my point... the Bengals likely will have that record by the end of the year. 

If we switch QBs and get the same record as the crazy talented Bengals... doesn't that mean the Bengals roster isn't dripping with more talent as what's being claimed?

Given all their talent Texans hover around those records year after year... in the worse division in football. So yeah we have Rodgers but we'd be doing the same as them without Rodgers.... but how? if our talent is so low compared to them.

If you could switch rosters with HOU or CIN tomorrow and keep Rodgers at QB, would you do that?  I would.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

If you could switch rosters with HOU or CIN tomorrow and keep Rodgers at QB, would you do that?  I would.

You'd get Rodgers killed. Their offensive lines are terrible and that's saying something when we are starting 4 guards on our line.

Look I agree at this point I'd trade our defense for either of theirs straight up. But it goes back to team building... We invest resources into the offense FOR Rodgers. GBs offense sans QB is better then those 2 teams' offense sans QB. 

Really honestly I think all of us would switch rosters with teams that have top 10 defenses and hope Rodgers just carries a terrible offense... ala Seattle.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

So that's a "No" for swapping rosters with HOU or CIN with Rodgers at QB?  I guess that's all I need to know, and we can agree to disagree. 

If that's the price for a top 10 defense... sure I would do it. Just to see how that team would function.

i was just merely stating the offense would take a massive hit compared to what people are use to seeing with Rodgers. That's all. Again I'd do it because I think that's the best way to win with a franchise QB.... give them really nothing but a top 10 brutal defense. That's what got New England 3 SBs early in Brady's career.

I would just hope Rodgers would be better then a Wilson in that type of team comp.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Off the cuff, this is how I'd rate GB's overall talent

QB: Elite

RB: Below average

WR: Average

OL: Above average (when healthy)

DL: Average

LB: Below average

CB: Below average

S: Above average

What are these based on? We have a top 3 defense, how can that happen if overall the position groups are below average?

We have a top 3 defense against teams with mediocre QB's

We have a bottom 3 defense against teams with good QB's

We are 11th in PPG given up currently 

That's why we'll end up in the middle of the pack by the end of the year (like every other year) and bounced in the playoffs

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

We have a top 3 defense against teams with mediocre QB's

We have a bottom 3 defense against teams with good QB's

We are 11th in PPG given up currently 

That's why we'll end up in the middle of the pack by the end of the year (like every other year) and bounced in the playoffs

We are 3rd in offensive points allowed per game currently. 25% of the way into the season.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I must be reading the stats wrong because according to espn we are giving up 20.3 ppg which is 11th

you are interpreting them wrong. We don't count INT and fumble return TDs against the defense.

Defense is giving up 17 offensive PPG, good for 3rd in the league behind Buffalo and Carolina.

The idea of GB not having Rodgers at QB should stimulate the change in offensive philosophy to be less centered around an elite QB.

Using 2013 is a bit unfair as it was 7 games into the season, much harder to adjust the offense mid season vs from the outset.

Hundley is likely better than Tolzien and Flynn, so add a win or 2 there.

Just now, incognito_man said:

you are interpreting them wrong. We don't count INT and fumble return TDs against the defense.

Defense is giving up 17 offensive PPG, good for 3rd in the league behind Buffalo and Carolina.

Nice start for sure.  Small sample size with 3 games against bottom half of league offenses, all at home.  Dallas and Minnesota will provide more info as to the quality of the D.

Archived