NFL training camp 2020 rules

soulman

NFL training camp 2020 rules

gettyimages-1166285149-1024x683.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

The Chicago Bears are reporting to training camp today, although it’s sure to look a lot different than in the past given the COVID-19 pandemic. With a ton of uncertainty surrounding the 2020 NFL season, the NFL and NFLPA came to an agreement as far as safety protocols and regulations.

Here are a look at the rules heading into training camp this season:

• The Bears must trim their roster to 80 players by Aug. 16, which is one day before they’re slated to begin padded practices. If teams decide to go the 90-man roster route, they can utilize a split squad format and use their practice facility and stadium.
  • Training camp will consist of a 20-day ramp period, which starts with four days of COVID-19 testing followed by two days of physicals. Days 7-14 will be allotted for strength and conditioning only. Teams can begin practices with helmets and shells but no pads on days 15-20.
  •  A maximum of 14 padded practices can be held, but they can begin no earlier than Aug. 17.
  • There will be one off day per every seven days of work.
  • There will be no preseason games in 2020.
  • Players have until seven days after the agreement is signed whether to opt out for the season.
  • For those NFL players who might be at high risk for contracting COVID-19, they can earn $350,000 and an accrued NFL season if they decide to opt out of this season. For those not at risk, they can earn $150,000.
  • Practice squads are expanding to 16 players.
  • The salary cap for the 2020 season will remain the same at $198.2 million for the Bears and the rest of the NFL. As for the 2021 season, the salary cap will be a minimum $175 million with the potential for being higher if revenue doesn’t take a significant hit.
  • If revenue does take a hit, that loss will be spread out through 2024.
  • If the NFL season is cancelled or no games played, players that make a team’s 53-man roster will get a stipend of $300,000. But if it were to be cancelled before team’s cut their roster down, players on a team in 2019 will get a stipend of $250,000.
  • There has been a fund established that aims to pay back benefits lost as a result of COVID-19 up to 2023 and will pay back lost guaranteed money.
  • Like 1

Just to add to this.  Per Larry Mayer. 

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/this-is-how-training-camp-will-be-conducted

The coronavirus has changed life as we know it, and football is no different.

The agreement reached last Friday between the NFL and the NFL Players Association contains very specific guidelines for how all teams must conduct training camp in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The following information has been compiled from multiple reports, including a memo the NFL sent to teams that was tweeted by Sports Illustrated MMQ reporter Albert Breer and a letter the NFLPA emailed to players that was tweeted by NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero.

Here is the timeline for 30 of the 32 teams—including the Bears—that are scheduled to open the regular season Sunday, Sept. 13 or Monday, Sept. 14:

Reporting and testing, Days 1-4 (July 28-31)

All veterans are permitted to report to training camp Tuesday. But no players will be allowed inside club facilities until they test negative for COVID-19 three times over a four-day period. The tests will be conducted on Days 1 (July 28), 2 (July 29) and 4 (July 31). All players must self-quarantine between tests. During Days 1-4, players must participate in virtual meetings, including ones that include COVID-19 training.

Physicals and equipment, Days 5-6 (Aug. 1-2)

Players who test negative on Days 1-4 will be permitted to enter team facilities for the first time on Days 5-6 (Aug. 1-2) to take a physical exam and be fitted for equipment. The physicals and equipment fitting will be conducted over two days to avoid crowding and allow for social distancing.

On Days 5-6, virtual meetings may continue. Players will be assigned proximity tracking devices for contact tracing. In addition, daily COVID testing will begin and continue through the first two weeks of training camp. If the rate of positive tests is below five percent after the first two weeks, testing will continue every other day.

Acclimation period, Days 7-15 (Aug. 3-11)

An eight-day acclimation period will be held on Days 8-15 (Aug. 4-11), with players having a day off on Day 12 (Aug. 8). The guidelines will be the same as Phase 1 of the offseason program, with on-field activities limited to strength and conditioning and walkthrough sessions, and no conditioning tests permitted.

Contact integration period, Days 21-41 (Aug. 17-Sept. 6)

Teams will be permitted to hold their first padded practice on Day 21 (Aug. 17) with a 90-minute time limit. Subsequent padded practices can be extended by 15 minutes through the fifth practice (from 90 to 105 to 120 to 135 to 150) after which the maximum is 150 minutes.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

The salary cap for the 2020 season will remain the same at $198.2 million for the Bears and the rest of the NFL. As for the 2021 season, the salary cap will be a minimum $175 million with the potential for being higher if revenue doesn’t take a significant hit.

I talked about this a little bit in news but I think 175 was a fair minimum to set. 

I'd like to go through and see how much it could affect us salary wise but I'm not even going to begin to guess until I know there's gonna be a season for sure. And that's at the very least too because this is all uncharted territory and not even the NFL knows how to handle it. They're going month to month right now. 

The NFL will take a loss for sure but they'll make some of that back from spikes in streaming revenue. Media revenue has already surpassed gate sales as the #1 source of income. With the gates closed, streaming will sky rocket. 

It won't make up for all of the lost money, but I'm sure it'll be more than enough to keep their heads above water without having to dip too much into future money and taking years to recoup.

All things considered, I don't think 175 is a bad figure at all. Prior to C19, I had the 2021 Salary cap raising by 12.3M next year which would have been $210.5M. 175M is a 35.5M loss in revenue. Multiply it by 32 teams and that's 1.12B dollars. I thinks that's a pretty fair deal. 

Now ofcourse I'm not saying my projected 12.3M is the end all or anything but every year for last 6-7 years I like to predict what the Salary cap is gonna be before the numbers are released so I can see how much the Bears will have to work with and I've gotten pretty damn good at it. I'm usually within less than 1M from the actual.  

NA-sports-media-rights.jpg

564b9e502491f90d248b5dcf?width=700&forma

• Like 1

Since player contracts have attached themselves to a growing revenue stream and a rapidly growing cap it seems logical that the reverse should also be true.

Top players with top contracts could not have gotten that kind of money unless the cap did increase as it has.  It's more or less a salaried form of profit sharing and has been since 2010.

So it also seems logical that rather than be forced to cut players in order to fit under a shrunken cap that a better solution would be a formula by which existing contracts and those for rookies and vet FAs be scaled back temporarily to adjust for this.

That makes a whole lot more sense than to force teams to put quality vets on the street and upset competitive balance in order to get under a reduced cap.  JMHO