2020 Training Camp Thread - DTWD

.Buzz

47 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Johns been all over this guy the past couple weeks. Hopefully we got lucky on someone just needing a change of scenery. I remember watching him some prior to that 2017 draft. Has some intriguing tools.

Harrison wilson wingard thomas is the likely top 4.  Im not sure we can afford to keep 5 safeties and even then u still got jr reed. 

Jones is for the most part a box safety.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

Harrison wilson wingard thomas is the likely top 4.  Im not sure we can afford to keep 5 safeties and even then u still got jr reed. 

Jones is for the most part a box safety.

If Jones keeps playing like the early reports idk that Wingard or Thomas is stopping him from squeezing in. 

On 8/22/2020 at 1:07 PM, .Buzz said:

If Jones keeps playing like the early reports idk that Wingard or Thomas is stopping him from squeezing in. 

1) Jones Does Not play Special teams.

2) a 3rd/4th safety needs to be able to contribute on special teams. 

3) Jones is a Box Safety where as we like to use guys who are hybrid guys. 

Wingard plays Special teams and i doubt caldwell will cut a 5th round pick for the sake of cutting a guy He thought was a good pick. 

the Only guys we cut that were draft picks were: FB Marquez Williams,  EDGE Tyrone Holmes and QB Tanner Lee(oh lord why did we pick him).

Holmes to the best of my knowledge was an attempt to sneak him onto the PS but that never came to fruition as he was claimed. Williams was waived/injured and subsequently made it to IR where we released him october 9th. 

it seems to me like Caldwell Statistically likes to keep his draft pick guys for a few games.  3 cuts out of 53 guys comes out to 1 out of 17 picks.   Lee was also rumored to be more of a coughlin pick if i recall correctly and was likely a PS target guy as 95% of teams only carry 2 qbs and we had Bortles and Henn. 

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

1) Jones Does Not play Special teams.

2) a 3rd/4th safety needs to be able to contribute on special teams. 

3) Jones is a Box Safety where as we like to use guys who are hybrid guys. 

Wingard plays Special teams and i doubt caldwell will cut a 5th round pick for the sake of cutting a guy He thought was a good pick. 

the Only guys we cut that were draft picks were: FB Marquez Williams,  EDGE Tyrone Holmes and QB Tanner Lee(oh lord why did we pick him).

Holmes to the best of my knowledge was an attempt to sneak him onto the PS but that never came to fruition as he was claimed. Williams was waived/injured and subsequently made it to IR where we released him october 9th. 

it seems to me like Caldwell Statistically likes to keep his draft pick guys for a few games.  3 cuts out of 53 guys comes out to 1 out of 17 picks.   Lee was also rumored to be more of a coughlin pick if i recall correctly and was likely a PS target guy as 95% of teams only carry 2 qbs and we had Bortles and Henn. 

We have way more draft picks than we ever had, so I don't know why you're making it out as if because we haven't before we won't ever.

There's also a larger practice squad and teams aren't probably going to be as likely to pick players off without game tape unless they had a lot of love back during the draft.

Regardless, no one's saying he'll definitely make it. But every day he's gotten publicity from the beat writers singling him out and standing out. He's definitely got a legit shot if he continues to force the issue. Marrone and Caldwell have already said they're going to focus more on depth with players that they can actually slot into the depth chart on offense/defense than guys they get worried putting out there but just keep for ST.