Future of TNF on TV

pf9

The Thursday night deal is up for renewal after this season.

Ideally, I'd like all 18 games aired on broadcast TV starting next year with NBC, CBS, and new to the package, ABC each getting 6 games. The latter network would get their games in the final weeks of the season when their regular Thursday shows are on hiatus. 4 of the TNF package games I project to mostly air as Saturday doubleheaders in December with NBC and CBS getting 1 late-afternoon game each and the nightcaps on ABC (dates of the games are adjusted for holiday conflicts in some years). As usual. all games are simulcast on NFL Network.

5 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

I'd prefer they do away with TNF altogether. The product is horrible and awful for players. Having to play 4 days after a game is nothing but a selfish acquisitive move and completely hypocritical to the NFL's supposed new mantra of player safety. 

Yes, I actually prefer this.  Although, I like having something to watch on Thursday nights, I just don't like it when my team plays on Thursday nights.

But if they're not doing away with it, get it off NFL Network we can watch it in Hotels.  

10 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, I actually prefer this.  Although, I like having something to watch on Thursday nights, I just don't like it when my team plays on Thursday nights.

But if they're not doing away with it, get it off NFL Network we can watch it in Hotels.  

Certainly and that would be ideal of viewers, but the weekly game package is up for the highest bidder. Another reason I don't see it changing is that the major networks are already heavily invested in NFL Sundays and that weekly Thursday night time slot would also compete against their popular prime time TV shows.

Cut it down to 6 games and split it 2 each on the 3 networks and everything will be wavy. There aren't enough good matchups on a week to week basis to justify having it near the entire season. I don't think every time having a primetime game is good for the league at all

I love TNF. It's the perfect fill-in for the Monday to Sunday gap. There's already too many games to keep up with on Sunday too.

I think they should do two things:

1. Mandate that any teams that have an upcoming Thursday night game,  have to play in the "early"  Sunday games, so that they basically get most of Sunday for recovery time.

2. Split the TNF package between NBC and ESPN. Fox and CBS already get to split all of the Sunday games.

10 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Why don't you like Saturday games? I think they're a lot better than these trashcan Thursday Night games, lol.

Because the game is watered down enough already as it is. Watching NFL football 3 days in a row and 4 days in a single week becomes exhausting itself and even more so when you're also trying to keep up with college football. At least with the Thursday night games you get a nice break in between. 

Archived