49ers extend GM John Lynch (5 years)

RaidersAreOne

I'm actually surprised that this didn't wait longer. There are other GMs who are up for deals, and I thought he'd let them get their's first to set the market. I'm also somewhat surprised this didn't come with a new title. I think a lot of people were expecting a ops president role to be included 

That being said, he's done a solid job. Most of the personnel issues I have had from the team actually stem from Shanny as opposed to Lynch.  

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good for him and now he and Shanahan are once again locked in for the same amount of time. A good duo that works well together and there is no need for any drama where one gets a new deal while the other does not. 

Actually I was wrong. Shanahan is extended until 2025 while Lynch's deal is up a year before that. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

There are other GMs who are up for deals, and I thought he'd let them get their's first to set the market.

He doesnt strike me as a guy who looks to maximize his dollars. I think he is just extremely happy with what he is doing. 

• Like 1

Always liked him with Tampa Bay, it's been fun to see Lynch lead a great NFL turnaround. The Niners went from 1) Turble. 2) With the same players that couldn't win, Harbaugh was hired and coached them to the Super Bowl. 3) Fire Harbaugh oops right back to turble. 4) Fire Baalke, hire Lynch and Shanahan. 5) Oh hey, back to the Super Bowl. 

12 minutes ago, OhioG said:

I was surprised he turned out to be as good of a hire as he has been. Great find by the organization. 

I would say 60% of the fanbase last offseason had written him off. Last season was very validating for everyone in our building... until it wasn't. 

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Shanahan and Lynch's chemistry is unreal. Complete opposite of Harbaugh and Baalke. Jed did right locking both of these guys up. 

Listening to lynch talk gets me excited. He is a leader of men in every way that Harbaugh could only dream of. 

He talked so much about a culture change when he got hired, that it would have sounded like blowing smoke if it was someone else. 

Serious question, has John Lynch ever failed at anything in his entire life? lol I mean it just seems like hes always had success, everywhere he has gone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I would say 60% of the fanbase last offseason had written him off. Last season was very validating for everyone in our building... until it wasn't. 

Listening to lynch talk gets me excited. He is a leader of men in every way that Harbaugh could only dream of. 

He talked so much about a culture change when he got hired, that it would have sounded like blowing smoke if it was someone else. 

Serious question, has John Lynch ever failed at anything in his entire life? lol I mean it just seems like hes always had success, everywhere he has gone

Yes...both Kyle and John don't sound like phonies at all. That was apparent before the winning started. Even with Kyle after I'm ticked regarding some of his decision making, when I listen to the Monday presser I always seem to come away understanding his logic even if I don't agree with it. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I remember this being a head-scratching move when he was hired. He was in the Marlins minor league system as pitcher, and actually threw the first regular season pitch ever for the organization as a minor leaguer.

Edited by Tetsujin

I’d take this duo over any other right now. The 49ers were the best team last year, IMO. At least until a busted coverage. 

I think Lynch is doing a great job managing the teams roster/cap situation. Pay Armstead and trade Buckner for the pick to get his replacement. Aiuk to replace Sanders. Getting Trent Williams. Strength is in the LOS. That will last.