LT Nate Solder opts out

49erurtaza

Not a big shock, but still disappointing news for the Giants. I totally understand his situation. Way too big of a risk.

This will force Andrew Thomas into the LT role right away.

I believe Solder’s 19M cap hit moves into 2021 now.

Good for Solder- he's got to do what's right for himself and his family.

This is a blessing in disguise, honestly. This puts Thomas in the role he will be in for his entire career right away and opens up a really interesting battle at RT between Fleming, Peart, and Gates. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Solder turned down a lot of money for the sake of his family. I hope he and his son both pull through. 

The Giants have plenty of depth at tackle, so I look forward to seeing who gets the nod at RT.

He didn’t turn down any money. He just postponed it until next year.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Good for Solder- he's got to do what's right for himself and his family.

This is a blessing in disguise, honestly. This puts Thomas in the role he will be in for his entire career right away and opens up a really interesting battle at RT between Fleming, Peart, and Gates. 

I wouldn’t go that far. Solder may have been terrible last year, but he would have been a good mentor to Thomas and the rest of the young team. I guess that’s what a coach is for.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

I wouldn’t go that far. Solder may have been terrible last year, but he would have been a good mentor to Thomas and the rest of the young team. I guess that’s what a coach is for.

Columbo is going to be that guy. What we'll miss most from Solder is tackle depth and him being a really great locker room presence. In terms of actual play on the field, I am of the belief that Thomas is already a better player, at least compared to what Solder showed last year.

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Columbo is going to be that guy. What we'll miss most from Solder is tackle depth and him being a really great locker room presence. In terms of actual play on the field, I am of the belief that Thomas is already a better player, at least compared to what Solder showed last year.

Probably, still i rather have him at T than our other options with very limited practices