NFLN Top 100 Players of 2020

RandyMossIsBoss

7 hours ago, Nightime said:

Louisville actually does have a history of good offenses. They had a top 5 offense in 2006.

LOL @ going back a decade to make this point.  

You can cherry pick individual games all you want.  At the end of the day one guy took an unheralded program to becoming nationally relevant while the other didn't.  Lamar has a history of being transformative.  That was the point. 

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, proven wrong, considering the massive discrepancy in how the defense outperformed the offense. The pathetic attempt at transferring credit to Allen by saying he gave the defense rest (less than league average) was noted.

Is QB the most important position in football or not?

5 hours ago, Kirill said:

I'd rather have the guy who can throw pinpoint passes no look with his offhand 60 yards....

Now tell me what this has to do with who was the best player in the NFL last year?

We are not debating who we would take for the next 10 years to be our QB.  That is a totally different topic.  This thread is about who deserves to be ranked the #1 player in the NFL right now.   Whether he does it by running or not, doesn't make a difference.  

With regard to the playoffs, Lamar just completed his first season as a full-time starter.  We should probably wait a little longer before tagging him a liability in the playoffs. 

Edited by VanS

3 hours ago, Nightime said:

One thing that also has to be considered is that Mahomes is capable of putting up 450 yards of offense even on days when he can’t run. That’s what happened when KC visited Tennessee. 36/50 446 yards, 3/0. All by an immobile Mahomes.

I don’t think Jackson could put up that much offense with such limited mobility. 

Mahomes isn't in the same galaxy as Lamar when it comes to athleticism so this is a mute point.  We all know Mahomes is the better pocket passer.  The argument here is about who is the better overall player.  Not about who is better if you tied one arm behind their back. 

16 minutes ago, VanS said:

Is QB the most important position in football or not?

Yes. 

Did the defense massively outperform the offense despite receiving less rest than most of the league, contrary to what you said, or not?

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yes. 

Did the defense massively outperform the offense despite receiving less rest than most of the league, contrary to what you said, or not?

The defense has more talent on it and the Bills coaching staff is better on that side of the ball.  However, none of that would matter if they didn't have a QB as talented as Josh Allen making something out of nothing on the offensive side of the ball.

You seem to think I am taking away from the defense.  I am not.  I just know their performance wouldn't mean much if not for Josh Allen carrying the other side of the ball on his back single-handedly.  That is why I say he's the most important reason for their success.  He's doing the most with the least. 

7 minutes ago, VanS said:

The defense has more talent on it and the Bills coaching staff is better on that side of the ball.  However, none of that would matter if they didn't have a QB as talented as Josh Allen making something out of nothing on the offensive side of the ball.

Okay? You said Allen is most responsible for the playoff run. How talented one side is is irrelevant, you said that of Allen, and you’re wrong. 

7 minutes ago, VanS said:

You seem to think I am taking away from the defense.  I am not.  I just know their performance wouldn't mean much if not for Josh Allen carrying the other side of the ball on his back single-handedly.  That is why I say he's the most important reason for their success.  He's doing the most with the least. 

You gave credit to Allen for being the reason they made the playoffs, when that credit belongs to the defense. You further tried to give credit to Allen, saying that the defense was only able to perform the way they did because of what Allen did offensively - proven wrong. 

Can’t admit your mistakes though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VanS said:

You don't care about what they did in college because it doesn't favor your guy.  If Mahomes had Texas Tech in the playoff discussion while Lamar never improved Louisville that much you would definitely use it.

Lamar Jackson made those other guys on the Ravens better just like he took a mediocre Louisville program in college and made them look like they were juggernauts. 

I don’t care about what they did in college because it quite literally has ZERO bearing on what kind of NFL players they are... We’ve seen a multitude of players have success at the collegiate level and not have it translate. 

And beyond that, you’re not even right about Louisville being a “juggernaut” during his time there. There were decent but nothing special. And you’re not right about him elevating a bunch of average players on the Ravens. Lamar Jackson is a good player who had a good supporting cast last year.

As for the Chiefs...

The Chiefs offensive DVOA in Smith’s last year to Mahomes first year went from 15.9% to 34.2% and averaged 10 more points per game. The 2017 Chiefs scored 21 points against the 17th ranked scoring defense in their lone playoff game. The 2018 Chiefs AVERAGED 31 points per game in the playoffs against two top 10 scoring defenses.

I can’t even believe people are trying to ignore the massive gulf in improvement that occurred from Alex to Mahomes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Okay? You said Allen is most responsible for the playoff run. How talented one side is is irrelevant, you said that of Allen, and you’re wrong. 

You gave credit to Allen for being the reason they made the playoffs, when that credit belongs to the defense. You further tried to give credit to Allen, saying that the defense was only able to perform the way they did because of what Allen did offensively - proven wrong. 

Can’t admit your mistakes though.

QB is the most important position as you admitted.  I give the most credit to the guy doing the most important job especially when it comes with the highest degree of difficulty because of a lack of talent around him.

Edited by VanS

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

QB is the most important position as you admitted.  I give the most credit to the guy doing the most important job especially when it comes with the highest degree of difficulty because of a lack of talent around him.

So Trent Dilfer is the driving force behind the 2000 Ravens SB run? And the most important reason they made the playoffs?

13 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

I don’t care about what they did in college because it quite literally has ZERO bearing on what kind of NFL players they are... We’ve seen a multitude of players have success at the collegiate level and not have it translate. 

True.  Absolute success in college is irrelevant (i.e. raw stats or accolades).  However, relative success can be very relevant.  I think Lamar's ability to rise above the talent around him is significant.  Lots of guys can go to a program like Clemson or Alabama and have success.  Not many can go to a program like Louisville or Virginia Tech and make them nationally relevant.