NFLN Top 100 Players of 2020

RandyMossIsBoss

On 7/30/2020 at 7:03 AM, drd23 said:

Seems like a lot of money and effort to create a custom trophy for something that most people don't take seriously

Fans and media might not take it seriously but the players definitely.  Anybody that has played sports knows respect from your peers is of utmost importance.  I guarantee you NFL players care way more about where their peers think they rank than anything the media or fans say.

As a competitor you want those who go through the same daily grind you do to respect your game.  When they do its more fufilling than any praise from the media or fans.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 6:35 AM, WizeGuy said:

Man, if Josh Allen really was the 12th best QB last year- we would've won the division and probably advanced to the AFC Championship game. I like that my QB is getting some love, but this is a bizarre list, for sure. I'd say he hoovers around the 20-15 mark.

LOL.  You must seriously overrate the talent of your team if you think Josh Allen is holding you guys back.  He's the main reason your team even made the playoffs last year.  Take Josh Allen away from the Bills and replace him with a league average starting QB and you have the worst offense in the league and a team that barely win 6 games last year.

Be thankful you have Josh Allen.  I can't think of 5 QBs who could have done more with the Bills offense last year.  You guys had the worst collection of skill position talent of any playoff team and your offensive coordinator isn't exactly a genius offensive mind.  

Once the Bills start to surround Allen with adequate weapons and/or a better offensive coordinator he will not only win a Super Bowl but start putting up monster passing stats for the fantasy football nerds out there. 

45 minutes ago, Danger said:

Any list that didn't have Mahomes at 1 should have been thrown away.

Why?

When Mahomes was hurt last year I didn't see the Chiefs collapse as a team.  They still looked good with journeyman Matt Moore at QB.  They held on to blow out the Broncos.  Played the 13-3 Packers competitively on Sunday Night Football.  Then beat a playoff Vikings team at home.  In 2017, the year before Mahomes became a starter, they were arguably the best team in the NFL over the first half of the season with Alex Smith being considered a leading MVP candidate.

I think the NFL players realize Mahomes has a lot of talent around him and a beneficial scheme which is why he isn't considered a slam dunk for the #1 spot.

18 minutes ago, VanS said:

Be thankful you have Josh Allen.  I can't think of 5 QBs who could have done more with the Bills offense last year. 

Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, and...Josh Dobbs.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Vorsutus said:

Ryan, tanny, murry, Rodgers, cousins, brees, dax.....

“Main reason the Bills made the playoffs”

Offensive DVOA: 21st

Defensive DVOA: 6th

Offensive PPG: 23rd

Defensive PPG: 2nd

Offensive points/drive: 24th

Defensive points/drive: 2nd

Offensive yards: 24th

Defensive yards: 3rd

Offensive first downs: 20th

Defensive first downs: 6th

Passing yards/TDs: 26th, 24th

Rushing yards/TDs: 8th, 18th

There’s nothing that suggests Allen or the Bills passing offense in general is even the 3rd most important reason they made the playoffs last year...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

“Main reason the Bills made the playoffs”

Offensive DVOA: 21st

Defensive DVOA: 6th

Offensive PPG: 23rd

Defensive PPG: 2nd

Offensive points/drive: 24th

Defensive points/drive: 2nd

Offensive yards: 24th

Defensive yards: 3rd

Offensive first downs: 20th

Defensive first downs: 6th

Passing yards/TDs: 26th, 24th

Rushing yards/TDs: 8th, 18th

There’s nothing that suggests Allen or the Bills passing offense in general is even the 3rd most important reason they made the playoffs last year...

Exactly. I could named a few more guys who could have potentially made them better over allen. He is a middle of the pack qb and if you go on passing alone he is bottom 3rd. 

3 hours ago, VanS said:

How so?

Just because you or the media disagree doesn't make it bad.  To me the players list is always the most accurate because nobody knows how good someone is unless they are playing against them.

The only imperfection that comes from a players list is the fact everyone doesn't get to play everyone every year and the fact football is position specific.  If they forced WRs for example to just rank the best corners they played that year, we would get the most accurate list for who the top corners are.  Still somewhat imperfect but way better than anyone else telling us who the best are.

I love the player's list.  To me its the closest we can get to an accurate list of who the best players really are. 

Then you're a fool who doesn't have eyes.

Only good thing about this list is like hearing a top DT talk about what its like facing a top OG or a top WR talking about facing a top CB.

This list is highly inaccurate year after year. 

Honestly.... I would take PFF's list over the players list.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Mahomes is a Hall of Fame talent who is being overrated right now by most (i.e. those who think he's the Michael Jordan of Football or well on his way) thanks to his excellent supporting cast and having a great offensive minded head coach.  Mahomes is perfectly rated by the players alongside Lamar and Russ.  He's in the conversation for the best QB in the NFL but its not as slam dunk of a case that he's #1. 

No, Mahomes is most certainly not overrated. The people who are trying to argue this are just overthinking it. Players who claim league MVP and SB MVP in a 2 year stretch are generational. We literally saw this same basic Chiefs team with a top 12 QB go one and done in the playoffs losing at home against a heavy underdog.

Two years later they’re winning a SB beating every team they faced in the playoffs by double digits.

Occam’s Razor.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Fans and media might not take it seriously but the players definitely.  Anybody that has played sports knows respect from your peers is of utmost importance.  I guarantee you NFL players care way more about where their peers think they rank than anything the media or fans say.

As a competitor you want those who go through the same daily grind you do to respect your game.  When they do its more fufilling than any praise from the media or fans.

I have no doubt that the players take the respect of their peers seriously, but its pretty clear that not all of them that participate in submitting names for the list put as much effort in as you would hope for if it was a serious award.  For example: