Should the NFL add a 2nd bye week?

DigInBoys

2nd Bye Week  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL add an additional bye week?

• Yes
    • No

I know this was done in 1993 and it was a little controversial(partially because the scheduling wasn't done right with whole divisions sitting out certain Sundays) but I think it's time to revisit it.

It accomplishes a few things:

1. Gives players additional rest/recovery during the season.

2.  Makes the NFL season longer, which already flies by. I believe it's already shorter than the other major pro sports. NBA and NHL regular seasons are around 6 months. It's getting an additional week of games for fans to watch without adding more games to the schedule.

and my favorite reason:

3. Spreads out the games more. I think there's already way too many games on Sunday to pay attention to. Add another week to the season  spreads out the same amount of games over more time(I think the difference would be about 1 less game per week so it's nothing too crazy). You would get to pay attention to more games/teams/players over the course of a season.

Of course I think if they did they should add in a couple rules, like no bye weeks before week 4 and no team goes less than say 6 weeks between byes.

I'd absolutely be alright with it. Give teams a bye in the Week 4-6 range and another one in the week 11-13 range. Makes it easier to schedule more London games if you're working with each team having two byes. Keeps the players fresher and hopefully helps the nagging injuries.

1 minute ago, freak_of_nature said:

Would it start Labor Day weekend?

sure, that sounds good.

and really, if one thinks about the entire season. There's no reason not to start byes really early in the regular season. You're about 1/3 done with the full season by week 1.

Week 3 byes would be fine for first byes. Have 8 teams off per week in weeks 3,4,5 and 6 and again in weeks 9, 10, 11 and 12. Have "fat" weeks in weeks 7 and 8.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

sure, that sounds good.

and really, if one thinks about the entire season. There's no reason not to start byes really early in the regular season. You're about 1/3 done with the full season by week 1.

Week 3 byes would be fine for first byes. Have 8 teams off per week in weeks 3,4,5 and 6 and again in weeks 9, 10, 11 and 12. Have "fat" weeks in weeks 7 and 8.

It might not have to be that complicated... Bye 1 can be after the 6th game and Bye 2 can be after the 11th game, league-wide.

6 games

BYE

5 games

BYE

5 games

I've always thought the season should be stretched out much more than it is. As it is players can play 19 high intensity games in 20 weeks and then sit around doing nothing until July. I don't see any reason you couldn't stretch it out until March or even April.

20 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

It might not have to be that complicated... Bye 1 can be after the 6th game and Bye 2 can be after the 11th game, league-wide.

6 games

BYE

5 games

BYE

5 games

wait, so 2 weeks with no football at all? that's way more complicated. 

Plus, players have 6+ weeks of football in by week 1. An earlier bye is beneficial.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

wait, so 2 weeks with no football at all? that's way more complicated. 

Plus, players have 6+ weeks of football in by week 1. An earlier bye is beneficial.

I think an earlier bye is also beneficial because it gives teams sort of a small assessment period early in the season to hunker down and see what is and isn't working in real NFL action.

Keep in mind though that byes have to be staggered, not every team would have a bye in the first week byes are allowed, that's just when they start.

Archived