Should the NFL add a 2nd bye week?

DigInBoys

2nd Bye Week  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL add an additional bye week?

• Yes
    • No

The number of preseason games whether it's 2 or 4 doesn't matter to me.

I just don't pay much attention to them and wait for the regular season.

I don't think it should affect the number of regular season games either considering what fluff preseason is.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

traditiondemotivationalposter.jpg

But it's not always been that way, 16 games is relatively recent. And it's the best way of doing it yet tried.

I do not understand the appeal of extra regular season games - the point of the regular season is to sort the best reams from the rest, it already achieves that perfectly. More games is just more revenue without actually improving the product, but with the added risks of HURTING the product, through over-exposure and increased injuries. There are already multiples teams who frequently struggle to maintain a healthy roster, 2 more games would mean the Chargers and Packers fielding offensive lines made out of balsa wood. Not to mention every record would, of course, be shattered.

The NFL is as popular now as it has ever been, the only way is down, and the fastest way to get there is to keep grasping for more and changing what people like about the league as-is. That's why the London team is a dreadful idea, and why more games is worse.

Plus, 32 teams in 8 divisions of 4 playing 16 games is SO mathematically neat that it would hurt me to see it change.

13 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I remember the 2 bye weeks resulting in multiple weekends with no decent matchups.  Not interested in going down that path again.

That was apparently due to other scheduling quirks.

There's no way 1 less game per week can result in multiple weeks with no decent matchups.

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

You sound like someone who wasn't an NFL fan during that season.

I wasn't. Here's what I read:

While reading a thread re: the NFL possibly going to 2 bye weeks and how that would affect fantasy leagues, i got to thinking "We've seen this before".

In 1993, the NFL had double bye weeks. There were only 28 teams back then and the divisions with 4 teams typically all sat out at the same time, etc. If you played FF back then you probably remember what a headache it was (remember...Internet was a baby back then).

-The Matchups were brutal when the NFC EAST and AFC WEST were on Bye (yes, you read that right: The Chiefs and Raiders were the bees' knees back then and Denver was no slouch either).

Seems like the problem was sitting out whole divisions.

No way in hell should they add more games.     I will never be on board with that....and I freakin love football and would actually love more....but quality matters more than quantity.    

Two bye weeks?   I would have no issue with that if done right.   It CAN be done right.....whether it WOULD or not is another story?

Reducing preseason games?   Silly fans continue to ignore that preseason is far more for teams and players than it is for fans.    No one cares if you find it boring.    

How would adding a second bye week work though? You'd have to be careful not to put them too close together. With the way the schedule works at the moment, there's a chance you could end up with a bye in week 6 and another in week 8. What sort of safe guards would there be?

I suppose you could program in to divide the season in half, and assign one bye for weeks 3-9 and then another for weeks 10-16, with everyone playing first 2 and last 2 weeks.But there's still a chance you end with byes really close together.

Add a bye or two and get rid of the absurdly long preseason.

Starters are lucky to play a full game over the course of 4 weeks, there's no need for 4 games. Use that time to build in more rest and recovery for the players.

Doing so also makes TNF and London games more doable since we are apparently stuck with those.

Archived