Should the NFL add a 2nd bye week?

DigInBoys

2nd Bye Week  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL add an additional bye week?

• Yes
    • No

I've been saying this for years. It's the way to fix the Thursday problem. Your 'second bye' would be the Sunday before you play your Thursday game. That way you get two games where you have a couple days off. Both teams would have the same "second bye" prior to playing so that they are on equal footing. The quality of Thursday football would increase dramatically. 

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Add a bye or two and get rid of the absurdly long preseason.

Starters are lucky to play a full game over the course of 4 weeks, there's no need for 4 games. Use that time to build in more rest and recovery for the players.

Doing so also makes TNF and London games more doable since we are apparently stuck with those.

So by that logic, starters will end up playing what in 2 GM's, maybe a QT together? That really enough work? Organizations need those games to evaluate properly the players eventually making the 53 man roster. Practices are already limited with very little contact, tackling, pads, shells, walk throughs ,etc. They need live game action to help fill the roster out.

As mentioned before, the NFL couldn't care less what fans think about the "quality/competitiveness" of those 4 games. They (We as Fans) are still tuning in, still paying to watch no bodies while Teams are getting Their necessary evaluation. 

There are just as many injuries during TC going 1/2 speed as there are in Preseason Games IMO. Shortening either just means it might occur a week or 2 later into the regular season instead.

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I've been saying this for years. It's the way to fix the Thursday problem. Your 'second bye' would be the Sunday before you play your Thursday game. That way you get two games where you have a couple days off. Both teams would have the same "second bye" prior to playing so that they are on equal footing. The quality of Thursday football would increase dramatically. 

Issue is that the TNF games are so early during the year. They start Week 2 and every team is required to play on Thursday Night at least once. The logistics of this isn't straightforward unless the NFL wants to prolong the season to possibly March. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

So by that logic, starters will end up playing what in 2 GM's, maybe a QT together? That really enough work? Organizations need those games to evaluate properly the players eventually making the 53 man roster. Practices are already limited with very little contact, tackling, pads, shells, walk throughs ,etc. They need live game action to help fill the roster out.

As mentioned before, the NFL couldn't care less what fans think about the "quality/competitiveness" of those 4 games. They (We as Fans) are still tuning in, still paying to watch no bodies while Teams are getting Their necessary evaluation. 

There are just as many injuries during TC going 1/2 speed as there are in Preseason Games IMO. Shortening either just means it might occur a week or 2 later into the regular season instead.

Starters could play the same number of snaps, it's the scrubs who get less. Most teams have 80% (random number) of their roster already set at the beginning of camp.  I guess teams will have to figure out who players 45-53 are a bit quicker. 

You're acting as if every other level of football isn't able to play without a month of exhibitions.  

We're not discussing what the NFL will do or if they care what we think, just our opinions on a second bye week.

Barring the implementation of an 18 game season, absolutely not

Even completely ignoring the fact that this was tried once already in 1993 and failed miserably, do you realize how ridiculously hard it is to come up with a schedule for the entire league?  Everyone in here is acting like it would be so easy to add another bye week for every team without major scheduling repercussions.  The idea sounds nice in theory but will be extremely difficult to execute.   Keep in mind, the following teams cannot ever play at the same time unless they're playing each other:

- 49ers and Raiders

- Giants and Jets (and they cant play at home the same week)

- Rams and Chargers (and they won't be able to play at home the same week once the new stadium is complete and the Chargers move in)

Tell me how the NFL is supposed to add an extra bye week for each team while  complying to the rules above without  creating a ton of unnecessary work or  pissing a lot of  people off.  We have to deal with enough scheduling conflicts as it currently is

I could go either way with this (I voted no) but here's what I'd like to see:

Fantasy football be damned, I'd like to see ALL 32 team split the bye into 2 weeks (16 teams take week 7 or 8 off, the other 16 take week 8 or 9 off). This seems the most fair to me as a week 4 bye kinda helps, but a week 10 bye is very advantageous, in my opinion.

If you went 2 bye weeks, similar formula, just weeks 5/6 and 10/11 off, then it's over and done with.

For you FF people, build a handicap system (which should have been done a long time ago anyway).

I like the idea of the 2nd bye week, but under no circumstances should they add more regular season games.  The preseason should remain 4 games as well, mostly so teams can keep what little practice time they have before the season starts.  It's also good for figuring out the last 10-20% of the roster.  $15 billion/year business, I think they can figure out how to make the schedule work better than in 1993 when I think they still did the schedule by hand.

Yes.

Add 1 bye week. Do not add any more regular season games.

Remove 1 pre-season game, start the regular season a week earlier. Keep the same playoff schedule.

This idea has been floated elsewhere. It's a win-win-win. Players get more rest. Fans get more football (technically the same amount, but it's stretched over one more week). Networks swap a pre-season game's worth of ad revenue for a regular season.

100%

I've been wanting a 2nd bye week for a while. Eliminate one preseason game and add an additional bye week. Would be great for the players and then you could schedule Thursday night games with a team coming off the bye week. Would improve the quality of the games and help the players. What's not to like about it?

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 12:08 AM, DigInBoys said:

I know this was done in 1993 and it was a little controversial(partially because the scheduling wasn't done right with whole divisions sitting out certain Sundays) but I think it's time to revisit it.

It accomplishes a few things:

1. Gives players additional rest/recovery during the season.

2.  Makes the NFL season longer, which already flies by. I believe it's already shorter than the other major pro sports. NBA and NHL regular seasons are around 6 months. It's getting an additional week of games for fans to watch without adding more games to the schedule.

and my favorite reason:

3. Spreads out the games more. I think there's already way too many games on Sunday to pay attention to. Add another week to the season  spreads out the same amount of games over more time(I think the difference would be about 1 less game per week so it's nothing too crazy). You would get to pay attention to more games/teams/players over the course of a season.

Of course I think if they did they should add in a couple rules, like no bye weeks before week 4 and no team goes less than say 6 weeks between byes.

The only way this works is if you do the byes in groups of 8 for two different ranges. Weeks 5-8 and then weeks 11-14. Could do it this way:

The 8 Division winners from previous year: weeks 5 and 11

The 8 second place teams from previous year: weeks 6 and 12

The 8 third place teams from previous year: weeks 7 and 13

the 8 last place teams from previous year: weeks 8 and 14

First 4 weeks and last 4 weeks of the 18 week season would have no byes and the middle two weeks of the season would have no byes.

Yes.

As of right now it's ludicrous that some teams are getting their bye week as early as week 4. It's more acceptable with a 2nd bye week.

They also need to introduce an injured reserve system more like baseball's DL. Just make it a 4 week and 8 week DL. And don't limit it to just one or two players. If you need some limit I understand, but it's really restrictive on some teams the way it is now.

Archived