Food Draft - Discussion Thread - Draft Starts Tuesday (8/4)

MKnight82

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Are we assuming hardware is available and doesn't have to be drafted, if it would also constitute an ingredient?

Hardware as in pot and pans?  Not necessary to draft those.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Examples: frying oil or butter, or water if something is boiled.

I had already considered these some by saying everyone will likely need salt & pepper.  Water is another one that should probably be for everyone.  I think picking your oil should be a part of the draft.  Butter, eh I could go either way.  Lets just say salt, pepper and water for now.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I had already considered these some by saying everyone will likely need salt & pepper.  Water is another one that should probably be for everyone.  I think picking your oil should be a part of the draft.  Butter, eh I could go either way.  Lets just say salt, pepper and water for now. 

Real talk we should all get a base level of spice cabinet, unless the goal here is that we end up having to make meals that are hilariously all over the place.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Real talk we should all get a base level of spice cabinet, unless the goal here is that we end up having to make meals that are hilariously all over the place.

Base level spice cabinet is very ambiguous.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Base level spice cabinet is very ambiguous.  

Garlic, onion, celery, carrot, thyme, oregano, basil, cayenne, paprika, cumin, chili powder. That's 11. Take one out and make it 10?

I probably missed at least one thing that's super obvious. You could argue for tomatoes as well since that'd open up some sauce variety.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If all we're doing is drafting ingredients, then there are a ton of techniques to get flavor, and there are so many herbs and spices out there that with just salt and pepper and one draft pick, you can make a really flavorful dish pretty easily.

Followup question, how are we doing things that are premade?  Like, say, ketchup, or hot sauce, or even something like pickle brine?  Are we doing from scratch only?

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If all we're doing is drafting ingredients, then there are a ton of techniques to get flavor, and there are so many herbs and spices out there that with just salt and pepper and one draft pick, you can make a really flavorful dish pretty easily.

Followup question, how are we doing things that are premade?  Like, say, ketchup, or hot sauce, or even something like pickle brine?  Are we doing from scratch only?

I mean tbh I don't think these are going to be all that good if only 1/10 meals is going to have garlic or onions or rice or beans. Especially since this includes side dishes and everything. 

I mean tbh I don't think these are going to be all that good if only 1/10 meals is going to have garlic or onions or rice or beans. Especially since this includes side dishes and everything. 

Part of the draft strategy would be picking ingredients you could use in multiple ways.  

There are lots of kinds of beans or rice.  There are plenty of alliums to choose from too.  I think the idea is to make people get creative, not to make 10 perfect meals that people have to pick between.