The Comic-Con Experience

MrDrew

As I’m getting into panels, I’m probably going to talk about what room they’re in because that has significance. So here’s the ones I’ll be talking about the most

Hall H - This is the big dog. The biggest events will be in here. This is the one that you hear about people camping out for. People have shirts made, and the line has its own Twitter account. The estimated capacity is 6,900. 

Ball Room 20 - The 2nd biggest room. Most of what you’re going to see in here is  network TV shows. The cosplay contest is also here. Capacity is 4,500.

Indigo Ballroom. This one is actually at the Hilton next door. Still have to have a badge to get in though. It went from a small place to the 3rd biggest room. A lot of different TV shows will be in there. GoT/TWD get Hall H, Arrow/Flash/Family Guy Ballroom 20, Gotham/Silicon Valley get Indigo. Capacity is between 3,500-4,000.

6BCF - The biggest of the smaller rooms. This is where you get some cable shows that are channels like TNT, USA, and STARZ. Some of the best panels I’ve seen have been in this room. Capacity is 2,500ish. 

As I’m getting into panels, I’m probably going to talk about what room they’re in because that has significance. So here’s the ones I’ll be talking about the most

Hall H - This is the big dog. The biggest events will be in here. This is the one that you hear about people camping out for. People have shirts made, and the line has its own Twitter account. The estimated capacity is 6,900. 

Ball Room 20 - The 2nd biggest room. Most of what you’re going to see in here is  network TV shows. The cosplay contest is also here. Capacity is 4,500.

Indigo Ballroom. This one is actually at the Hilton next door. Still have to have a badge to get in though. It went from a small place to the 3rd biggest room. A lot of different TV shows will be in there. GoT/TWD get Hall H, Arrow/Flash/Family Guy Ballroom 20, Gotham/Silicon Valley get Indigo. Capacity is between 3,500-4,000.

6BCF - The biggest of the smaller rooms. This is where you get some cable shows that are channels like TNT, USA, and STARZ. Some of the best panels I’ve seen have been in this room. Capacity is 2,500ish. 

Day 1: Thursday

So I went to sleep at 12:45am, and woke up at 5:15am. Left to go get in line a little after 6am. By the time I got something to eat, I was walking to get in line. I’ve been here 6yrs now, and the line to get in even shocked me.

Z4mSpIV.jpg

The wrapped building in the back is where the line turns to go to the convention center. You have to go from he far right side to the far left, cross the street, and then go under the tents. It’s before 8am, and my Fitbit says I almost have my 10k steps in already. Once I’m in, it’s a mad dash to the Mattel booth to try and get a ticket for an autograph.

14 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Did the lines move pretty quick to get in once it opened up?

They let everybody inside, and more lines formed for different stuff. When they let people into the showroom, it took me 10-12 minutes to get in the door

Day 1 in the books. I missed out on the autograph ticket, but my wife got to go through the GoT Experience. Only took her 12hrs., but at least she got some coolnexclusive stuff for it. 

It feels like I spent most of the day walking. According to my Fitbit, I walked 12 miles. I wound up going a lot earlier than planned to get in line for a Hall H wristband.

lh3eITv.jpg

A wristband is essentialy your ticket to Hall H for the day. They only allow people in with one for the first panel of the day, and then tou’re Kind of stuck. I’ll have to be out before 7am for them to let me back in the line. So it’s gonna be another 4hrs if sleep, and then stuck in a giant room for the day. At least the lineup will be awesome. Big Bang Theory, Fear The Walking Dead, The Walking Dead, Game Of Theones, Twin Peaks, and the Defenders.

Day 2: Friday

5:00am wakeup. Got in line a little after 6am. The wristband I got last night got me a guaranteed spot in Hall H, but we got there early to be a little closer. Still wasn’t very close, but a 300mm lens on the DSLR helped with that. 

First panel of the day was Big Bang Theory. Followed by Fear The  Walking Dead, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Twin Peaks, and Preacher. All were good panels. You saw new scenes, recaps, and a lot of character analysis by the actors. Some highlights were Hodor coming out and moderating the GoT panel, and Seth Rogan coming out for Preacher. 

Then the Defenders panel started. Jeph Loeb, Head of Marvel TV, was the moderator. He was given an award by the Comic-Cin people for his contributions to the arts. Then John Bernthal walked out. They talked a little Punisher, and then they showed us a clip of the show. Looks pretty awesome. Then they brought out  the cast for The Defenders. 

A litte talk about all of the characters, and how it was to work together. A little while in, they said they were gonna show a clip, and to put away your phone (You’re not allowed to record and previews or video clip). When Jeoh was talking about the clip, he said it was exactly as long as the first episode. A minute later, we were watching the first episode of The Denfeders. Crowd goes wild. 

For everything awesome you get to do, like seeing a premier episode a month earlier than the rest of the world, you also get major disappointment. I had a friend waiting in line starting at 2pm, and we still didn’t get Hall H wristbands for Saturday. We’re just gonna have to settle for Ballroom 20, which isn’t a bad consolation prize.

We’ll get to see all of the CW/DC show panels, including what will probably a preview of Black Lighting. Family Guy will also be there, and they usually wind up being the funniest panel of the Con. 

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So, scale of 1-10 how good was the first episode?

8. They’re laying the groundwork for how hey all get together, and why. There is nothing like hearing a room erupt like when he announced what we were about to see.

Also forgot to mention that security was walking around with night vision to make sure nobody was recording. Jeph Loeb said they would, but it sounded like a joke. Then we saw it. 

Archived