Your Personal Scouting Overlook

BleedTheClock

What overlooked trait has caused you to miss on the most NFL draft prospects?

For me, it's DL hand usage. I always fall in love with explosive interior DT's like Robert Nkemdiche and never place enough emphasis on hand placement. I'm beginning to realize this isn't something that can be taught with ease...it's a major trait that should be placed ahead of explosiveness.

I undervalue pass catching runningbacks. I was a non-pass catching RB...in the mold of an Alfred Morris. I underappreciate the versatile pass game weapons because I want to believe that my species (big power runningbacks) are not a dying breed. I'm beginning to realize how incredibly foolish that has become with scatbacks becoming elite checkdowns for passing offenses. I've whiffed on guys like Dion Lewis in favor of guys like Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay.

Also I tend to undervalue QB footwork. I am usually pretty good at predicting QB's regardless of this "oversight". but everyone and their mother tells me I'm crazy and QB footwork is crucial. I'm beginning to think I overlook this trait and have been lucky that my evals have been slightly decent at the Q position despite that.

16 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

This. 
He benches 20 reps, runs a 4.3. okay college production. 
In the pros it translates to running straight into the backs of his offensive lineman super fast.

Christine Michael is the perfect example. You love the physical talent until he's getting tackled in the backfield 

If anything, I rely too much on technique and work effort. If I was to build a team, it would be filled with blue collar guys with limited athletic upside and not enough explosiveness. It would be an 8-8 team in 9 out of 10 seasons simply due to the lack of explosive plays superior athletes offer.

For instance, Trey Flowers was my draft crush a couple of years ago. Last year it was Lamp, and it is basically the mold of players I fall in love with.

One thing people overlook - especially at runningback is body type and I preach this year after year. High-cut players get hurt more often. Every year they get hurt disproportionally more than other players. Two key examples from 2017 that are already hurt: Dalvin Cook (knee), Chris Carson (ankle). 

2 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

One thing people overlook - especially at runningback is body type and I preach this year after year. High-cut players get hurt more often. Every year they get hurt disproportionally more than other players. Two key examples from 2017 that are already hurt: Dalvin Cook (knee), Chris Carson (ankle). 

Why I was so worried about Fournette. Long legged backs go into the shop

For QBs it’s accuracy. I tend to give quarterbacks leeway when it comes to how on point they are on a consistent basis. I will give players the benefit of a doubt when they are generally accurate as opposed to pinpoint accurate.

Another blind spot for QBs is evaluating guys the same whether or not they have the added benefit of running. I’m beginning to come around to the idea that running quarterbacks should be evaluated differently than pocket passers.

Linebacker — particularly guys who aren’t clear cut blue chip prospects — are just one big blind spot. It’s particularly tough for me to watch linebackers in broadcast view. I can’t really get a sense to what they’re seeing and how the line is moving in front of them. Because the Raiders needed at least one linebacker this past draft, I was able to hone my linebacker eye a bit — still a work in progress.

5 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Explain what you mean by "high-cut".

Archived