Your Personal Scouting Overlook

BleedTheClock

On 10/4/2017 at 2:41 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

One thing people overlook - especially at runningback is body type and I preach this year after year. High-cut players get hurt more often. Every year they get hurt disproportionally more than other players. Two key examples from 2017 that are already hurt: Dalvin Cook (knee), Chris Carson (ankle). 

Logically, it makes sense. I'd be curious to know if there's data that supports it. I don't doubt it because those low center of gravity guys are a much smaller target and much harder to hit low, but I can think of quite a few of those guys too who have had durability issues.

As for my biggest weaknesses, they are:

1. Big-bodied WRs with average height

2. Making sure a LB will play within a NFL scheme effectively and can get off blocks

3. Vision and patience for HBs (I think it's tough to scout at the college level)

For me it is always 2 issues which I have little control over.

1) character and intangibles - we do not get to interview a prospect, nor are we always privy to character problems that scouts and GM's may know about.

2) the seriousness of injuries that a player had and how poor they do in their physicals because of it.

These 2 areas are always going to limit our ability to assess prospects as we totally depend on rumours rather than knowing the facts.

I would say I can visually make a real judgement call on pretty well everything else, especially during the Senior Bowl practices and the Combine, although I still depend a lot on Mayock and other NFL.com scouts to let me know how strong a QB's arm is, it is almost impossible to tell on film or TV as it always appears a lot slower than it is in real life.

One thing I learned from experience was that deep passes for QB's are some of the least impressive throws. Unless they are on a line, deep passes really tell you almost nothing about a QB. The intermediate passes tell you the most, but I would even value short passes above deep passes because at least then you can look at ball placement. That was probably my biggest rookie mistake the first year I graded.

Another one I learned the hard way is that athleticism doesn't matter as much for RB's. Whether the RB can make the first guy miss or not is the most important. Patience, vision, power, open field moves, those things are important. But are you really upset if a RB gets caught after a 40 yard gain because it's not a TD? I mean, sure, if he can take it to the house that is a benefit so it's not meaningless, but that's not what makes a RB good or bad. Lateral quickness matters much more, too, and that doesn't always show up in the times.

Archived