Football's Future Musicians

JDBrocks

I didn't see a topic started anywhere for musicians on the forum. 

Let's talk about making music! Share your gear, ask questions about production, give reviews, talk about workflow, etc.

I'll start! 

My main instrument is guitar, of which I own... a few:

• MIA Fender Telecaster in tobacco Sunburst
  • MIA Fender deluxe 50th anniversary Stratocaster in tobacco sunburst
  • Gretsch 5655TG in Cadillac Green
  • Duesenberg Starplayer TV in black sparkle
  • Gibson J45 in tobacco sunburst
  • Guild d212 in tobacco sunburst
  • Gretsch bobtail roundneck in tobacco sunburst
  • Yamaha compass series (I forgot the model) in a funky blue/green color

I also have a mandolin made by the Loar in tobacco sunburst.

I sorta have a type:

jMphvc5.jpeg

I have a modest home studio and a decent collection of microphones as well. 

Any other musicians out there?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I got a guitar a year ago.  It was a beginner’s guitar meant specifically for learning how to play guitar.  It has been in a closet for one year and I haven’t touched it.

Now would be a great to time to dig it out of the closet 😂

In all seriousness, when folks ask me for advice buying a first guitar, or any instrument for that matter, I typically ask them about an honest commitment level. If something is going to be a passion then I always recommend skipping the beginner level instrument. People are Usually more willing to keep going and learning with a high quality instrument that stays in tune and sounds good.

The better you sound, the more you play. The more you play, the better you sound... 

I've played the guitar for about 19 years now, but I suck for someone who's played that long.  My skill level probably hasn't improved since like my freshman year of college, and haven't picked up my guitar in months.  I have a Gibson SG 1 with an ebony fretboard and 24 frets instead of 22.  Got it on Broadway in Nashville; this was back before Broadway was nothing but bachelorette parties and Kid Rock bars.  No amp right now though, so it's a dust collector.

The last one I played was my cheap little Fender acoustic.  Got it at a music store in 2003 for like $60.  It's a 3/4 size, which I actually like.

My sister-in-law is a singer songwriter too

• Like 1

I played the drum set for about 6 years. Now it's been almost a decade since I touched them. Sold my kit a loooooong time ago. 

I have an electronic drum set, but I don't like playing it.

I also have a small midi keyboard that I like messing around on when I'm under the influence and vibing, but I don't do anything serious on it. Just fun little riffs and basic chord progressions, with beats from the built in drum pad.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I've played the guitar for about 19 years now, but I suck for someone who's played that long. 

Still a better ratio than me lol.

I have a guitar... got it at my neighbors garage sale a while back. I have had it for like 2-3 years and know exactly 3 chords lmao...

I haven't played in a band in 10 years but I still have all of my old gear.

I don't have pics of my gear handy so I'll just post generic links of what they look like.

I have two main basses I played:

preview.jpg

Warwick 5 string thumb bass.  This is the main bass I played with my bands.  

s-l640.jpg

And then a Fender Jazz 4 string. This pic is one of the cheaper models though, mine has 2 pickups instead of one. 

image-asset.png

GK 2001rb amp head.  I have it rack mounted with an EQ, power supply and I think some effects rack mount but I can't remember which one.  

hozmbmthmnotl4n44xut.jpg

SWR Megoliath 8x10 cab.

I probably should try to sell my amp and speaker cab as they've been sitting in storage for 10 years or so.  I also have a small ampeg practice amp I keep at my house.  Also an old acoustic guitar that isn't worth mentioning, plus some mics, mic stands, a bunch of effects pedals and more.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

Still a better ratio than me lol.

I have a guitar... got it at my neighbors garage sale a while back. I have had it for like 2-3 years and know exactly 3 chords lmao...

Yeah, if you don't do it regularly, you don't improve.  The thing you have to do is set a goal, daily preferably, and practice for that amount every day.

And as long as those chords are G, C, and D, then you can play the rhythm to like 90% of popular songs already.

• Like 2

Are you guys hobbyists, playing in bands, writing originals, learning covers, etc?

What genres of music are you guys into playing? What's your favorite song that you've learned? Most challenging? 

@MKnight82 - that stack is enourmous! The bassist in my band uses an Ampeg V4B into 2 Eden cabs, a 1x15 and a 4x10.

I have a crummy-ish MIM fender p-bass and an SWR workingman 15 that I use when I'm writing/recording demos.

I'm 33, never played an instrument in my life. I thought when COVID hit and I was stuck at home this would be something interesting to try. Well, our business was deemed essential and that kinda went out the window. It's one of my biggest regrets than I never learned in my life especially when I was younger. 

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm 33, never played an instrument in my life. I thought when COVID hit and I was stuck at home this would be something interesting to try. Well, our business was deemed essential and that kinda went out the window. It's one of my biggest regrets than I never learned in my life especially when I was younger. 

This is very cliche, but honestly: it's never too late. It's one of the most rewarding and mentally stimulating things anyone can do. If you were going to pick up an instrument, what would your first choice be?

Edited by JDBrocks

58 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Are you guys hobbyists, playing in bands, writing originals, learning covers, etc?

What genres of music are you guys into playing? What's your favorite song that you've learned? Most challenging? 

@MKnight82 - that stack is enourmous! The bassist in my band uses an Ampeg V4B into 2 Eden cabs, a 1x15 and a 4x10.

Ya its overkill for most venues lol.  My prior speaker cabs I had were a Trace Elliot 4x10 and a 1x15, and all of these people were telling oooo you gotta have the 15 cause it adds more low end.  That SWR 8x10 has a TON of low end.  The thing sounds amazing.  

I played in several bands when I was in my 20s.  The two the lasted the longest, one was a metal band and the other was a progressive rock band.  I used the warwick 5-string thumb bass exclusively with the metal band.  They used this dropped tuning and I needed that low B string.  I used the Fender a lot in the progressive rock band cause I could get more precision with it.