The Going on a Hike Thread

How many of you guys are into hiking? Do any of you backpack? I'm more of a day hike kinda guy. Since being stuck in the States for the past six months, we've been getting into hiking more. We did a trek through Nepal to Annapurna Base Camp about 5 years ago, but nothing more than day trips since then. Hiked the Great Wall for a couple days outside Beijing back in October. If we do another big trek, it will likely be Kilimanjaro.

Some recent hikes: Mt. Si, Mailbox Peak, Little Si, and Mt. Washington.

Favorite hiking gear brands? Tips/tricks? Highest mountain climbed?

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Loved it in Arizona.  Everywhere was a hiking trail around where I lived.  Loved it in NC.  Everywhere else it sucks.

We tried one outside Phoenix a couple summers ago. Got started too late and didn't bring enough water. Mistakes were made. Turned around early. I miss the Great Smokies and all the hiking there though the tourists have just about ruined it with how crowded it is.

If I’m being honest, I like the idea of hiking much more than actually doing it.

Either it’s fairly easy and rather boring, or a complete arse kicker and I question why I’m torturing myself just to see something I can look at online.

I never regret it after going though and try to get out every month or two. I also make it a part of nearly every vacation.

• Like 1

I am a big hiker, only gone backpacking in the last 18 months (first three times) and I love it. My family went camping for 10 days every summer when I was a kid. 

Helps to live in California where there are so many different places to go

Hiking is really great because its hard enough where I actually get a work out in, but not hard enough where I can actually enjoy it. 

I am pretty active overall

My wife and I love walking and it's what has driven most of our travel. We've walked in lots of places in the world, but more at home in Tasmania than anywhere else. Havne't quite made it to North America yet, but it's definitely on the list! Would love to get out into Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, the Wind River Range, The Sierras, BC, Alberta... Too many good places!

Hiking and camping has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. I didn't take a vacation where we stayed in a hotel until I was 21 with my then fiance, now wife. We always tent camping in state and national parks, and to this day I prefer sleeping outdoors when we go on vacations.

I have 2 favorite hikes and another that is a nostalgic favorite. 

1. Ptarmigan Tunnel in Glacier NP - one of the most fun hikes I've ever done as it covers so much terrain and the views are incredible from any point on this trail. The switchbacks are worth it to get to the tunnel, and the view from the other side is breathtaking.
  2. Ramsey Cascade in GSMNP - The old growth forest is great, especially the monster trees in the middle. Sitting at the falls is one of the more relaxing and beautiful spots around, and having done this hike 3 times it doesn't get old.
  3. I love Mills lake because it was the last hike I was able to go on with my grandparents before they were too old to travel and camp. My Grandmother always said that she wanted to have her ashes spread at Emerald Lake (she had done that hike a number of times back even before I was born), and while we went there I said, lets try Mills Lake. Once we got there she changed her mind instantly and said that Mills lake was her new favorite place in the world. That will always be very important to me.

Great thread! thanks for starting it.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

I've spent my entire life hiking and as noted by N4L, living in CA gives us sooooo many cool opportunities
Generally speaking, we car - camp and use that as a base camp and then head out on day hikes every day

Here's an example of a day hike in Sequoia National Forest, 6 miles round trip. Starts at 8100 feet and its 10,350ft at the top. You're sucking air on the final stretch but the views are worth it. Check out the gallery for some cool pics people posted

https://www.summitpost.org/mitchell-peak/306211

840576.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=800&ixl

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

At some point in my life I plan on taking on the PCT. Probably when my son is old enough to do it with me.

The highest peak I've ever done is 12354 ft on Flattop Mountin/Tindall Glacier in RMNP. that's a pretty awesome hike as well.

I'm super bummed that we weren't able to make it to Yosemite this year...

23 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's an example of a day hike in Sequoia National Forest, 6 miles round trip. Starts at 8100 feet and its 10,350ft at the top. You're sucking air on the final stretch but the views are worth it. Check out the gallery for some cool pics people posted

This is where I used to go camping for 10 days, every year as a kid.

Kings Canyon >>>

I will absolutely do the same thing with my kids one day (they dont exist yet), especially now that most kids have too much access to technology/screen time 

• Like 1

If any of you ever decide to do Nepal, Annapurna Base Camp is a great hike. It's about 10 days total. We got set up with a Sherpa there through some friends so we could pay him directly without paying a company that takes most of the money. Went in January so there were fewer people on the trails, but good lord that is a cold I hope to never experience again when going to bed. Some of the best views in the world. Granted, it was rather a terrible feeling of defeat when an old lady in flip flops is cranking up the mountain with a pack full of gravel or leaves faster than you are.

There was a group of college girls that were giving their guide a hard time because the internet they paid for at one of the villages wasn't uploading their photos. My wife let them know how stupid they were being, but it was frustrating that not even in the middle of the Himalayas could you avoid these people. 

• Like 1