In case you were in favor of signing AB, he’s suspended 8 games

turtle28

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

There will be some "names" cut at the final . Maybe Alshon Jeffery for one .

I’d rather them wait until final cuts to decide if they are going to sign another WR, OT or TE, that way the young guys will get all the practice reps in August to prove themselves to coaches. If they look good enough, Rivera can just go with the young guys, if they are struggling then we can sign a FA WR and/or OT and TE after cuts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d rather them wait until final cuts to decide if they are going to sign another WR, OT or TE, that way the young guys will get all the practice reps in August to prove themselves to coaches. If they look good enough, Rivera can just go with the young guys, if they are struggling then we can sign a FA WR and/or OT and TE after cuts.

THAT should be the plan ! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Hey, you NFL rules geeks on here . Are we second in the pecking order for all waiver claims . 

Until week 4 of the regular season, yes.

Through the entire offseason and all the way through the Week 3 games, the waiver order is the same as the draft order.

After the 3rd week of the regular season is concluded, the waiver order becomes the reverse order of the current year’s standings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Until week 4 of the regular season, yes.

Through the entire offseason and all the way through the Week 3 games, the waiver order is the same as the draft order.

After the 3rd week of the regular season is concluded, the waiver order becomes the reverse order of the current year’s standings. 

So-- after the third week, a team that is 0-3 is last in the claims order . ? 

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

So-- after the third week, a team that is 0-3 is last in the claims order . ? 

They’d be first (along with all the other 0-3 teams, in some order) because it’s the reverse order of the standings. Last place picks first and first place picks last, in essence.

EDIT: Should probably also note that only players with less than 4 years of “service time” get put on waivers when released. Players with more years of experience simply become FAs when they get cut. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

They’d be first (along with all the other 0-3 teams, in some order) because it’s the reverse order of the standings. Last place picks first and first place picks last, in essence.

OK, got confused. Makes sense, thanks . Second for waiver claims could be a big deal for us since we're so thin in several spots .  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Without having actual competition during the preseason, I am not sure how well this approach is going to work.  

I'm also going to wonder how many teams will go with established veterans over rookies/younger players this year because of this very thing. 

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Without having actual competition during the preseason, I am not sure how well this approach is going to work.  

I'm also going to wonder how many teams will go with established veterans over rookies/younger players this year because of this very thing. 

What do you mean, competition for the young guys or the vet having competition/playing time in our offense before we sign them?

You're right about teams likely going w/ vets over younger players so we may not have much to choose from and we’d have to chose from the list we’ve been talking about the last few weeks.

As far as the competition for the young guys, it is what it is. Often times coaches can tell as much in practice as they can in the preseason games on who they want to keep on the 53 and who they don’t. I think that one of our young WRs will emerge besides obviously Terry & Steven Sims.

Now, whether they’re comfortable with going with one of those young WRs over a vet they could sign is a different story. Still, between AGG, Gibson, Cam Sims, Quinn, Kidsy and Isaiah Wright one of them will probably impress the coaches enough where they’ll want to give them a chance at the #3 job but I see the other side too and it would also make sense to sign a vet.

I guess we’ll see what happens. The fact that they haven’t signed Penn or another LT and haven’t signed a vet WR yet points to them waiting until late August or even the first week in September after final cuts to sign vets at those positions if they feel they need them.

Edited by turtle28