Raiders sign RB Jeremy Hill and then cut Jeremy Hill

agarcia34

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillJe01.htm

I assume it’s a veteran minimum deal with zero guarantees or dead cap.... at best it’s a 50k signing bonus.  

Let’s be honest... William Stanback trucked tiny Anthony Cioffi his freshman year and has lived off that highlight since then.  He’s a CFL player and nothing more.  I don’t understand why we gave him any signing bonus or guaranteed money because he’s a longshot to make the team.... it’s more likely if we had injuries that would result in him moving up the depth chart that we’d sign a proven veteran off the street before going with him.

Hill could be a legit RB2/3 who brings the power running we’re lacking.  If you look at Hills career that’s exactly how we don’t want to manage Jacobs: over use him his first 3 years resulting in injuries and his career being derailed.  Hill has had 2 years to get healthy and is still only 27.  He’s proven to be a good goal line/short distance RB.  

Top Rushing teams typically (excluding teams with running QBs like Baltimore with Lamar Jackson) have 450-500 rushes a year, with 400-430 coming from RB+FBs (excluding QB runs/scrambles, WR+TE screens, etc).

Last year Jacobs had 242 rushes in 13 games (18.6 rushes per game).  Only Henry (20.2) and Elliot (18.8) had more usage...Chubb was tied at 18.6.

https://fantasyfootballers.org/rb-running-back-nfl-stats/

I think Jacobs would best be served lowering that down to 16 carries with a slight increase in his passing targets (27 last year or 2.0/game).  If we want to keep Jacobs fresh into the playoffs and have him worth signing to a second contract this year we need to start conserving him.   For example, in games we’re winning we could use Hill to pound out the clock or just bringing him in for goal line runs or Sub’ing him in the occasionally during a series.

If we’re to have 430 carries this year (maximum amount of carries that could happen) by RB+FBs I’d like to see it broken down like this:

Jacobs- 255

Hill- 60

Richard- 50

Bowden- 50

Ingold- 15

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Unbelievable talent back in the day. Great signing. If he can't play, cut him. If he can, he can be a very good 2 in the league, if not more. The Bengals OL sucked. He would have holes here.

The one reason I think he’s got a better than 50% chance of hitting ....

*his his age, only 27 turning 28 mid season.

* while he did have 222-223 carries per year in his first 3 years he was never “abused” and over worked.  Only 708 career carries and basically no mileage for 3 years.

* he’s had 2 years to heal from ACL injury.  It’s likely he came back to fast and wasn’t 100% and got cut.  It’s hard to be out the league for a full year and get back into a camp so most guys rush back, ready Or not.  By now he’s gotta be fully healed.

* he was one of the up and coming backs in the league back in ‘14-‘16 despite poor OL play.  He took heat for having his ypc drop from 5.2 to 3.6/3.8 but a lot of that was poor run blocking.  The kids always had talent and was a TD machine.

^ we don’t need ‘14 Jeremy Hill.  We need a guy who can give us 80-110 carries MAX (1/3 to 1/2 the load he’s use to).  He doesn’t have to carry a team with a poor OL.  He’ll have a great OL and only have to sub in to give Jacobs a breather here and there and in short distance situations.

* he never got that “payday” he through he’d get early in his career so he’s got a lot of motivation.  He made good money don’t get me wrong but not life changing.  He’s got enough time left to have a good season and then get 2-3 $2-3M per year salaries.... if he can prove himself.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Hill could be a legit RB2/3 who brings the power running we’re lacking.  If you look at Hills career that’s exactly how we don’t want to manage Jacobs: over use him his first 3 years resulting in injuries and his career being derailed.  Hill has had 2 years to get healthy and is still only 27.  He’s proven to be a good goal line/short distance RB.

This exactly, Hill was a solid back for Cincinnati but not the shiftiest or a guy that can make players miss but he's a powerful runner and can be more explosive if he's only toting the rock 5 to 10 times a game to give Jacobs a breather and take some short yardage wear. I like this more than Booker or any of our other 3rd/4th string types.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This exactly, Hill was a solid back for Cincinnati but not the shiftiest or a guy that can make players miss but he's a powerful runner and can be more explosive if he's only toting the rock 5 to 10 times a game to give Jacobs a breather and take some short yardage wear. I like this more than Booker or any of our other 3rd/4th string types.

Yeah...

just to add... was watching some old Hill videos and he’s a classic 1 cut power back but if he gets a nice hole he can take it to the house.  He’s no Barry Saunders but he does have decent shiftiness for his size.  Who knows what he was left in him... but we shall see!  I’m hoping he can be take on that 5-10 rushes a game to lessen Jacobs burden.

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I like the move as it's low risk and high reward at only 27 years old.  Hill is exactly what we need (if he's healthy) behind Jacobs, a one cut power back who can be used in short yardage situations.  He was a solid starter in Cincy on some bad teams with terrible Oline play.  I am interested to see what kind of shape he is in but all of that time off could have given his body the break it needed.  

I am much happier with this signing that I was with Booker.  Hill has proven he can be a serviceable NFL back which Booker has not.