3 free agent candidates to replace Bears NT Eddie Goldman

soulman

3 free agent candidates to replace Bears NT Eddie Goldman

usatsi_11646795.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

On Tuesday, Chicago Bears defensive tackle Eddie Goldman decided to opt-out of the 2020 NFL season due to the health concerns over COVID-19.

The 26-year old is coming off a year where he started in 15 games and registered one sack and 29 tackles. This offseason the Bears brought back veteran John Jenkins to backup Goldman, but now could be starting on the Bears defensive line.

Jenkins, who is placed on the COVID-19/Reserve list, appeared in 16 games with the Miami Dolphins and recorded 34 tackles and one sack. Backing up Jenkins would be undrafted free agent Lee Autry out of Mississippi State.

The loss of Goldman is huge for the Bears as they lose a key starter and the depth gets thinner. Here are some players that can fill the void.

Damon “Snacks” Harrison

usatsi_11834624.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The 2016 All-Pro is one of the best available free agents left on the market. The 31-year old is coming off a down season with the Detroit Lions, where he totaled 49 tackles and two sacks. Before last season, Damon Harrison has had productive seasons mostly with the New York Giants.

Harrison has fielded a “competitive contract offer” according to Ross Uglam of Packers Report, but that was earlier in the offseason and nothing else has been said. The Bears could still a player from the Packers while upgrading their current defensive tackle situation.

Marcell Dareus

usatsi_13145508.jpg

USA Today

Earlier in his career, Marcell Dareus was one of the best defensive tackles in the league. The 2011 third overall pick by the Buffalo Bills recorded 28.5 sacks in his first four seasons but has slowed down since then. The 30-year old faced suspension due to the NFL’s substance-abuse policy before he was traded from the Bills to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

In the past five seasons, Dareus has missed 39 games. Just this past season he missed 10 games and recorded 13 tackles and half a sack. Clearly, Dareus isn’t the player he once was, but he could come at a cheap price and could have something left in the tank if he can stay healthy.

Mike Daniels

usatsi_11923589.jpg

Jim Matthews/USA TODAY NETWORK-Wis

An intriguing player the Bears could bring in is former Green Bay Packer Mike Daniels. The 31-year old is coming off his first season with the Detroit Lions, where he played in nine games before hitting injured reserve.

The longtime Packer has missed a total of 13 games in two years, but before in 2018, Daniels was productive as he totaled 27 sacks, 114 tackles and 63 QB hits. Daniels is another player that could come cheap and be productive if he can stay healthy.

• Like 1

Maybe the biggest problem with all three are their injury issues and the fact that teams have been unable to bring them in for a physical.

I'm still of the belief that we can use some vet depth at NT.  We have a critical need to have a NT who can eat up blockers and keep them off our ILBs.  Especially Roquan Smith.  From what I've seen of Jenkins play in the past he's a low level sub for Eddie Goldman and not a guy I would trust to be able to handle NT on a full time basis.

Losing Nick Williams in FA looms even larger now because these available FA all come with potential issues.

Mike Daniels was a stud playing in GB but 13 missed games in the last two years and coming off a serious groin injury isn't good news.

"Snacks" Harrison is the reason Detroit signed Nick Williams to begin with but he might be the best prospect provided he can be had cheaply enough.

Dareus in another injury nightmare so it's difficult to see him as being worth the risk.

Anyone got any better ideas for how we can add some depth at NT?

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was arguing we target and draft a big body DL in draft.  

Well we did sign one as an UDFA which is not much different than having spent a 7th round pick on one.

IMHO if you don't draft one of the top guys like we did with Goldman with the rest you can pretty much pick names out of a hat.  So you find a guy your scouts like and either draft him late or sign him as an UDFA.  Not much difference.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was arguing we target and draft a big body DL in draft.  

I would not have been opposed to it but when we found a way to retain RRH I felt better about the positions. And Snacks may cost too much. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine with John Jenkins and Abdullah Anderson.

Hicks, Nichols, and RRH are going to get most of the reps anyway.

If Anderson can play well enough so he and Jenkins can take most of the snaps at NT keeping the other playing DE and DT spots I'm good with that too.

11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, I clearly don't because I like having good depth on the DL and OL. Silly me.

Sadly, you still don't get it. Which shows your lack of knowledge. 

6 hours ago, soulman said:

If Anderson can play well enough so he and Jenkins can take most of the snaps at NT keeping the other playing DE and DT spots I'm good with that too.

UDFA Trevon McSwain DT has a chance to make the 53 man roster too now. 

He's an intriguing player to watch too.  He might be listed at 6'6 290 but he has a smaller frame similar to Julius Peppers and Philip Daniels. 

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Sadly, you still don't get it. Which shows your lack of knowledge. 

UDFA Trevon McSwain DT has a chance to make the 53 man roster too now. 

He's an intriguing player to watch too.  He might be listed at 6'6 290 but he has a smaller frame similar to Julius Peppers and Philip Daniels. 

More of a DE size buy than a NT.

The kid they signed from Miss. State, Autry, will probably get a look along with Anderson and Jenkins but both are on the smaller side.

There's still time to bring in help if needed.  No one seems to be in a rush to sign any of those FA.

• Like 1