3 free agent candidates to replace Bears NT Eddie Goldman

soulman

On 8/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, soulman said:

More of a DE size buy than a NT.

The kid they signed from Miss. State, Autry, will probably get a look along with Anderson and Jenkins but both are on the smaller side.

There's still time to bring in help if needed.  No one seems to be in a rush to sign any of those FA.

I completely forgot him and no nothing about him. 

But yeah, I don't think depth is a problem at all. Health, at this point, is more important. As is with every other team.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I completely forgot him and no nothing about him. 

But yeah, I don't think depth is a problem at all. Health, at this point, is more important. As is with every other team.

IMHO Eddie Goldman is one of the top 2 or 3 NTs in the NFL.  No matter who replaces him it's gonna be a downgrade.

Mike Daniels is not a NT.  If you put injuries aside, because all those guys are injury prone now....

He's the best of that bunch.  Mike is a very fiery guy.  He would have 4 games against teams that cut him.

I dare say, he's worth the vets minimum if he just plays in those 4 games.  Everything else would be gravy.

And I believe that most every team would in the division would love to have Snacks.  But Snacks wants money and he's breaking down.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2020 at 12:54 PM, WindyCity said:

I am fine with John Jenkins and Abdullah Anderson.

Hicks, Nichols, and RRH are going to get most of the reps anyway.

They need someone else. It  would be preferable if it was a high talent guy. "Snacks" is probably the best option. Well ,maybe...

Edited by Heinz D.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Mike Daniels is not a NT.  If you put injuries aside, because all those guys are injury prone now....

He's the best of that bunch.  Mike is a very fiery guy.  He would have 4 games against teams that cut him.

I dare say, he's worth the vets minimum if he just plays in those 4 games.  Everything else would be gravy.

And I believe that most every team would in the division would love to have Snacks.  But Snacks wants money and he's breaking down.

True but he is a DT who can still be a handful provided he's healthy and has something left in his tank.

He's the kind of player the Pats have signed and used short term to keep them winning.

14 hours ago, soulman said:

True but he is a DT who can still be a handful provided he's healthy and has something left in his tank.

He's the kind of player the Pats have signed and used short term to keep them winning.

I don't look at Daniels like a typical Patriot pick up.

It isn't like he's a vet that was on a mediocre team and could simply buy into a system and be successful.

Mike's an undersized DT with a high motor.  And his game depends on his feet and his upper body power for leverage.  Those feet are really damaged goods right now.  Have been for three years running.

That's why if you can get him at the vets minimum, he's worth it just for those 4 division games.  Maybe you squeeze a few more games out of him with limited snaps, but those wheels aren't going, they are shot.  Which is too bad.  

Guess I don't see the Patriots as a team that has success with guys miraculously getting and staying healthy at an older age.  Body needs to be right.  Daniels' body is not right.  And his style is as much physical as it is cerebral.  He can't produce if the body isn't right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't look at Daniels like a typical Patriot pick up.

It isn't like he's a vet that was on a mediocre team and could simply buy into a system and be successful.

Mike's an undersized DT with a high motor.  And his game depends on his feet and his upper body power for leverage.  Those feet are really damaged goods right now.  Have been for three years running.

That's why if you can get him at the vets minimum, he's worth it just for those 4 division games.  Maybe you squeeze a few more games out of him with limited snaps, but those wheels aren't going, they are shot.  Which is too bad.  

Guess I don't see the Patriots as a team that has success with guys miraculously getting and staying healthy at an older age.  Body needs to be right.  Daniels' body is not right.  And his style is as much physical as it is cerebral.  He can't produce if the body isn't right.

I wasn't referring to Daniels specifically but rather that over the years the Pats have found aging vets they've managed to squeeze some decent play out of.

If the guy isn't right physically he's of little use to any team for even one game.  He's just one of three or four names who've come up all of whom are beyond their prime and have recently been sidelined by injuries.  If there's a serious interest I'm sure they'll bring in someone and check him out.

And maybe just maybe there isn't anyone out there Pace feels good enough about to bring in so we ride with who we have.

18 hours ago, soulman said:

I wasn't referring to Daniels specifically but rather that over the years the Pats have found aging vets they've managed to squeeze some decent play out of.

If the guy isn't right physically he's of little use to any team for even one game.  He's just one of three or four names who've come up all of whom are beyond their prime and have recently been sidelined by injuries.  If there's a serious interest I'm sure they'll bring in someone and check him out.

And maybe just maybe there isn't anyone out there Pace feels good enough about to bring in so we ride with who we have.

Yes.  They have.  But not really injury prone players.  Maybe some have been "injured" but Mike is now injury prone.  There is a difference there.

I wouldn't doubt he would sign with Chicago for a vets minimum, "prove it" deal.  He would get GB and Detroit twice.  He's a highly motivated player.  Even if he isn't right physically, he would be a great locker room guy against those teams, and he would give everything he had for those games.  Of that I have no doubt.  Much respect for Daniels.

He isn't an ideal replacement for Goldman, but he would help you against divisional teams beyond what he can give you on the field.  Not sure if that is worth a roster spot, but when looking at those guys, in Daniels case, you really shouldn't underestimate his understanding of former teams and his passion for playing against them.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.  They have.  But not really injury prone players.  Maybe some have been "injured" but Mike is now injury prone.  There is a difference there.

I wouldn't doubt he would sign with Chicago for a vets minimum, "prove it" deal.  He would get GB and Detroit twice.  He's a highly motivated player.  Even if he isn't right physically, he would be a great locker room guy against those teams, and he would give everything he had for those games.  Of that I have no doubt.  Much respect for Daniels.

He isn't an ideal replacement for Goldman, but he would help you against divisional teams beyond what he can give you on the field.  Not sure if that is worth a roster spot, but when looking at those guys, in Daniels case, you really shouldn't underestimate his understanding of former teams and his passion for playing against them.

If he's recovered from his 2019 injury Harrison who actually is a NT is probably at the top of a few teams lists yet he's still unsigned which could well be because his asking price is far above what teams are willing to pay for a 31 year old DL in a decline if that's truly the case.  Even if his play has declined somewhat he's still likely to be an upgrade over Jenkins or others we have although the wild card may be Nichols playing more as a NT or two gap DT.

As for Daniels whose less than an ideal fit IMHO the only reason you bring him in is for production not locker room presence.  We already have that kind of leadership now. I would want to see just what he has left in his tank and of course that's nearly impossible without seeing him during some preseason games.  So it'll be up to Pagano, Jay Rodgers, and Pace to evaluate whether or not we need more help at DT and/or NT and make a move if needed.

I suspect that with the addition of Quinn we'll see even more hybrid looks using Hicks and Nichols/RRH more as 4-3 DTs with a Nickel Secondary.  Jenkins and whoever else we may use as a pure NT will see even less snaps this year than Goldman has in the past.  Just a guess of course but the Bears have been playing less base 3-4 than they were a couple years ago especially on passing downs.  So we'll see what happens.