Hurt most by no Preseason games

ovfd55

Alex Smith-With the team looking all in on Haskins,the preseason woulda been a chance for Alex to show he had fully recovered.With his current contract it going to be very hard for him to get a shot somewhere else at some point with out game tape.

Bryce Love-With a very crowded Running back room the preseason woulda been the place for Love to set himself apart from other players after recovering from injury.

Players contending for the 5th/6th WR spot-Lack of preseason games mean lack of chances so show off what you can do on special teams in real games.

Players competing for the 4th DE spot-Chase,Sweat,Kerrigan have top 3 locked so lack of games have to hurt people like Orchard,Bee,Smith-Williams,and Brailford.Hurts even more if a LBer stands out and coaching staff decides it better to keep RYan Anderson who can hybris between LB/DE then keep a 4th.

3 Name Lbers-SDH and JHC both could used this to showcase skills to new coaches.

• Like 1

1. Alex Smith is on PUP, he can’t even fully practice. It’s hard to say that he’d even be cleared for full contact in a preseason game this year if the league even had a preseason. I have a hard time believing he would be. My personal thought on Alex is he will remain on PUP for as long as he can and then, in Nov when he could come off they will make a decision on whether to activate him or put him on IR for the last 6 weeks of the season. 

So, his broken leg & issues w/ infection to that leg after that are keeping him from even participating in practice fully. Because of that, I think it’s a moot point that having no preseason hurts his ability to showcase he can still play. I don’t think he would be cleared to play in preseason anyway.

* The same can be said for Reuben Foster.

2. Well, hell I’ll just loop the rest of them together, I agree with every other point you made except for the one about Alex. 

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Not having any kind of preseason at all is just stupid. Two games would’ve been fine but none at all is just asinine. It’s totally unfair to the guys who need it to showcase what they can do. 

Im liking it. College doesnt have one. And in college, 1 early loss can end your entire season. Like OSU 2 years back with that early OU loss.

Pros. 40% the teams make the playoff and only 4 teams in each division to contend with. After 16/17 games. Youll make the playoffs if you were meant to make them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Not having any kind of preseason at all is just stupid. Two games would’ve been fine but none at all is just asinine. It’s totally unfair to the guys who need it to showcase what they can do. 

I really think the players woulda been smart to have 1 preseason week(though don't think NFL would agreed as half the owners wouldn't of made home sales off it),to me gameday is going to be very different for these guys this year I woulda wanted to atleast see what the NFL plans was for that,and give people a game to make the team.

11 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im liking it. College doesnt have one. And in college, 1 early loss can end your entire season. Like OSU 2 years back with that early OU loss.

Pros. 40% the teams make the playoff and only 4 teams in each division to contend with. After 16/17 games. Youll make the playoffs if you were meant to make them.

Without the preseason Steven Sims most likely doesn’t make the roster last year. It’s vital for guys who need to make an impression. 

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Without the preseason Steven Sims most likely doesn’t make the roster last year. It’s vital for guys who need to make an impression. 

But in return. Weve had piles of injuries over the years during preseason. Guice tore his ACL during preseason, Jordan Reed took a concussion last year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Without Preseason It will just be like college. Also, let’s not forget that the starters play what amounts to 1 full game over the 4 preseason games, and at most they play 3 Quarters in just 1 preseason game, the 3rd one.

Having no preseason hurts the back ups, rookies and those fighting for a starting spot with other guys where we don’t have a definite starter.

So, like @ovfd55 pointed out. Guys like Bryce Love, our young WRs - especially the ones who are competing for the last few roster spots, the young TEs - especially the ones who are competing for the last few roster spots, the young OL competing for the starting LG & LT jobs, the young LBs, young DBs and young DEs competing for the 4th DE spot of Anderson is going to play SLB & not DE in our D. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Steven Sims didn’t all that much in preseason games last year. Like Terry McClaurin, Sims wowed the coaches in practice. They both made the team off of outshining others in practice.

With no preseason it just makes practice that much more important and coaches have always built a roster mostly off the month of August training camp practices anyway.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

I really think the players woulda been smart to have 1 preseason week(though don't think NFL would agreed as half the owners wouldn't of made home sales off it),to me gameday is going to be very different for these guys this year I woulda wanted to atleast see what the NFL plans was for that,and give people a game to make the team.

Having preseason games puts the vet players at risk of getting injured, they barely play anyway and probably wouldn’t play at all this year bc of COVID. Why risk yourself of getting COVID in a meaningless preseason game? If you get sick that puts you on the COVID IR list and it could be even worse than that.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Having preseason games puts the vet players at risk of getting injured, they barely play anyway and probably wouldn’t play at all this year bc of COVID. Why risk yourself of getting COVID in a meaningless preseason game? If you get sick that puts you on the COVID IR list and it could be even worse than that.

Think if I was them I woulda atleast want to see how travel and testing works on game day before starting a full out season if I was the players,as for the Vets getting inj Could treated it like they norm do a 4th preseason game and just had the fringe guy plays

30 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Think if I was them I woulda atleast want to see how travel and testing works on game day before starting a full out season if I was the players,as for the Vets getting inj Could treated it like they norm do a 4th preseason game and just had the fringe guy plays

Yeah, I’d pass. If it were me, I would’ve opted out of the season. My life & making sure I don’t get any members of my family sick are more important than football.