Jets cut RG Brian Winters

.Buzz

17 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Is Van Roten slated to start at RG or is he on the left side? 

We haven’t seen pictures/videos  to know but my guess is Van Rotten RG and Lewis LG. Becton and Fang at OT positions and McGovern at C. We are a lot like Bills from last year. Threw a ton of resources at the OL. Hopefully our line can come together. I don’t know how good or bad they’ll be. But it should be enough to properly assess Darnold.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

We haven’t seen pictures/videos  to know but my guess is Van Rotten RG and Lewis LG. Becton and Fang at OT positions and McGovern at C. We are a lot like Bills from last year. Threw a ton of resources at the OL. Hopefully our line can come together. I don’t know how good or bad they’ll be. But it should be enough to properly assess Darnold.

The lack of an off-season could hurt their chemistry at first but on paper it is a much improved group over last year.

Is Dennison still the OL coach? 

20 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Mosley opted out, looks like they’re clearing up more space for someone. Maybe Clowney.

The jets already said they are not interested in clowney. For fans wanting him makes sense but that team isn't a pass rusher away from being a contender. With Mosley out I just dont see signing clowney to a 1 year deal making any sense. The money being rolled over to next year may be more beneficial especially now that they got rid of adams for draft picks then it would be to sign clowney to a 15+ mil deal. I do not see him signing long term right now with his stock being so low. I think he is looking for a 1 year prove it deal to show that he is worth the 1st overall pick and that injuries are behind him and then he can cash in big like Bosa and Garrett did. Yannick may be a better option for you all but again its past the deadline so even if you traded for him its not a guarantee he sticks around after 2020 season.  I think jets have to use this year as a transition year and hope they just improve on what they did last year and then go all in on 2021 offseason.

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

The jets already said they are not interested in clowney. For fans wanting him makes sense but that team isn't a pass rusher away from being a contender. With Mosley out I just dont see signing clowney to a 1 year deal making any sense. The money being rolled over to next year may be more beneficial especially now that they got rid of adams for draft picks then it would be to sign clowney to a 15+ mil deal. I do not see him signing long term right now with his stock being so low. I think he is looking for a 1 year prove it deal to show that he is worth the 1st overall pick and that injuries are behind him and then he can cash in big like Bosa and Garrett did. Yannick may be a better option for you all but again its past the deadline so even if you traded for him its not a guarantee he sticks around after 2020 season.  I think jets have to use this year as a transition year and hope they just improve on what they did last year and then go all in on 2021 offseason.

Hope you’re right. Think Clowney’s a little overrated but would prefer to not play the guy x2 a year. Ditto to Yannick. 

But in a massive prove-it year for Darnold, I don’t think the Jets or their fans should really be behind cutting a starter on the offensive line, as so-so as he may be.

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Hope you’re right. Think Clowney’s a little overrated but would prefer to not play the guy x2 a year. Ditto to Yannick. 

But in a massive prove-it year for Darnold, I don’t think the Jets or their fans should really be behind cutting a starter on the offensive line, as so-so as he may be.

Yes I do not get the cut either unless he is just not 100% healthy at this point. I think this year is more of a prove it for gase then it is darnold, gase has to show something on his offense since that is what he is known for. Being bottom half of the league in offense since leaving Denver (Peyton era) shows he isnt a good coach not to mention all of the negative talk there has been with his players whether it is with jets or the dolphins. So another reason I do not get the move. Darnold is going to get to year 5 to prove he is a franchise guy so he has 3 more years to prove it so I do not see this year being a make or break for him, year 4 will be the one that really dictates his worth 

Edited by soflbillsfan

13 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes I do not get the cut either unless he is just not 100% healthy at this point. I think this year is more of a prove it for gase then it is darnold, gase has to show something on his offense since that is what he is known for. Being bottom half of the league in offense since leaving Denver (Peyton era) shows he isnt a good coach not to mention all of the negative talk there has been with his players whether it is with jets or the dolphins. So another reason I do not get the move. Darnold is going to get to year 5 to prove he is a franchise guy so he has 3 more years to prove it so I do not see this year being a make or break for him, year 4 will be the one that really dictates his worth 

Eh, we’ll see. I’m with you on Gase, I think he’s a lame duck and thought it was a bad hire from the start. But I think Gase is out regardless, barring some unforeseen playoff run. 

Remember Darnold isn’t Douglas’ guy. You have to imagine Gase is on his way out, so we’re looking at a year with a new HC, multiple first rounders in the next consecutive years, and what is apparently a loaded QB class. If Sam stinks it up and the Jets are sitting at a pretty pick, I’m not sure they wouldn’t pull that trigger or make moves to get a player they like. We’ll see, though. 

They’d still probably pick up his option, you need to really suck to not even have it picked up. But it’s not crazy for a team to pick it up and then bench them that year - the Titans just did it with Mariota.

25 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Eh, we’ll see. I’m with you on Gase, I think he’s a lame duck and thought it was a bad hire from the start. But I think Gase is out regardless, barring some unforeseen playoff run. 

Remember Darnold isn’t Douglas’ guy. You have to imagine Gase is on his way out, so we’re looking at a year with a new HC, multiple first rounders in the next consecutive years, and what is apparently a loaded QB class. If Sam stinks it up and the Jets are sitting at a pretty pick, I’m not sure they wouldn’t pull that trigger or make moves to get a player they like. We’ll see, though. 

They’d still probably pick up his option, you need to really suck to not even have it picked up. But it’s not crazy for a team to pick it up and then bench them that year - the Titans just did it with Mariota.

I guess you can say Darnold isn't a lock but it is crazy to think they would be so quick to move on especially giving up so much to get him even if it was with a different gm. He hasnt been given a legit shot simply because they havent focused on oline at all and the weapons are mediocre at best. None of those WR scream #1 so you basically set him up for failure. 

I think overspending on Mosley and Bell could have been better off paying veteran olineman when you knew you were drafting a qb, but that is just an outside non jets fan. That is also probably why you got a new GM too. 

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

I guess you can say Darnold isn't a lock but it is crazy to think they would be so quick to move on especially giving up so much to get him even if it was with a different gm. He hasnt been given a legit shot simply because they havent focused on oline at all and the weapons are mediocre at best. None of those WR scream #1 so you basically set him up for failure. 

I think overspending on Mosley and Bell could have been better off paying veteran olineman when you knew you were drafting a qb, but that is just an outside non jets fan. That is also probably why you got a new GM too. 

Agreed. Darnold hasn’t been given the odds that a guy like Dak has. I think it has less to do with him and more to do with the class, though. If this were last year’s QB class or the one before, it’d be different. But having a chance at Lawrence? That has to be pretty tempting, even if you think Darnold could turn into something. 

Shrug, I think Bell was actually a good deal. Mosley too. The Williamson deal (he’s not bad, but trash in coverage) and Trumaine deals were much, much worse. I don’t think the Jets garner a ton of FA interest, so I’m not sure who they could’ve went out and got. There were o-linemen deals out there too, ask the Falcons. 

Not a Jets fan btw, lol.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Winters now a Bill lol.

Has a chance to compete for the RG spot with Feliciano done for a few months. Interested to see the details of the deal.

Allen deep ball down the left side hits Diggs for 60 to the house.  Wait flag on the field, holding Winters.

Get ready for that.  He was the king of drive killing penalties and big play call backs.

Tough guy plays hurt which is probably why he's not good.  You can do worse as a backup though.

20 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Allen deep ball down the left side hits Diggs for 60 to the house.  Wait flag on the field, holding Winters.

Get ready for that.  He was the king of drive killing penalties and big play call backs.

Tough guy plays hurt which is probably why he's not good.  You can do worse as a backup though.

You lost me at Allen deep pass to Diggs.

All kidding aside, were his penalties often declined? The stats I see from last year say just 2 penalties and 1 sack. Or was it extra bad in previous seasons? Kind of reminds me of Jerry Hughes who takes penalties at the worst times possible. 

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

He doesn't fit the scheme and has a large cap hit, oh and he sucks. Respect him for playing hurt all these years but he's the epitome of why we haven't won since 2011. 

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

You lost me at Allen deep pass to Diggs.

All kidding aside, were his penalties often declined? The stats I see from last year say just 2 penalties and 1 sack. Or was it extra bad in previous seasons? Kind of reminds me of Jerry Hughes who takes penalties at the worst times possible. 

He didn't play a full season last year so that helped his totals.  He was bad in the last few years, yes to answer your question.  Much like Hughes his came at the worst times when we actually we're able to rip a decent run or move the chains.  Just an absolute drive killer.  

He is a great locker room guy though and can play well is small stretches so he's not completely worthless.

Edited by Rockice_8

27 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

He didn't play a full season last year so that helped his totals.  He was bad in the last few years, yes to answer your question.  Much like Hughes his came at the worst times when we actually we're able to rip a decent run or move the chains.  Just an absolute drive killer.  

He is a great locker room guy though and can play well is small stretches so he's not completely worthless.

He played 1001 snaps in 2018 and came away with 5 penalties, 1 was declined. Then the 2 off of 526 snaps in 2019 before injury puts him on 7 total penalties with 1,527 snaps.  I think a >1% mistake  over the last 2 years is well worth the risk of bringing him to competition. His health risks are definitely an issue but they signed him to a 1 year deal and after a couple of months Feliciano will be back to take over if he struggles or gets hurt. The bills also have 3 other guys who can look to compete against winters for the job.