Nick Foles: Reasons for Optimism

soulman

This offense isn’t good enough to win with a game manager.

Foles is a delux game manager. He may get us to a boring 10-6 with no shot to beat real teams.

The only way this offense is going to be good enough for us to be a serious contender is if Mitch figures it out.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

But look at Warner's record.   He walked into a perfect situation with a team built to win that was only lacking the right QB. 

That also had a coaching staff who were all on the same page and a OC who came up a plan that would eventually transcended offenses for the next 20 years. I like Nagy but he aint that good lol.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

Mitch will get his shot because Mitch needs to get another shot for everyone's sake as well as his own.  But if he fails and we need a guy to step in and take over quickly I'm glad we have Foles.  He's proven before that he can be "that guy".

That's where I'm at with it too. Foles is one (if not) the best backup QB in the league and a backup QB has become very important in the passing era. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Foles is a delux game manager. He may get us to a boring 10-6 with no shot to beat real teams.

The only way this offense is going to be good enough for us to be a serious contender is if Mitch figures it out.

10-6 is not boring. I know you want this team to win a SB, just like every other fan does, but expecting to be confident enough in your team to say they are a 12 win team is a hard thing to accomplish with most teams. It's hard to win in this league. 

I'm sure if you talked to 49er fans at this time before last season and asked them if they thought they would make the SB they would've laughed at you. But here we are....just like most of us didn't expect a SB appearance in 2006. Most of us still felt we were a year away. And now with the new rookie contracts from the CBA in 2011, and that the PAts are FINALLY looking like a normal team, this opens up the door for alot of unexpected teams. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Waaaaaaa....😭

It's SB or nothing with you right?

Coming from the depths of the Emery/Trestman/Fox era when we were the NFCN doormat and a laughingstock up to 20-12 and maybe 30-18/.625 is a nice move.

It's likely to be a strange year all around so nothing will be easy to predict right now least of all whether or not they'll even get 16 games in but unless Mitch all of a sudden becomes Patrick Mahomes I see this as still being a foundation building year.  We're still a player or three short of well stocked across the board and we have a mystery novel at QB that hasn't even had it's first chapter read yet.

Playoffs are a reasonable expectation but a SB is still a 50:1 shot at best.

If 10-6 or 30-12 seems boring to you why not let your mind wander back to a 3-13 season 4 years ago and 14-34/.292 under Fox.  Maybe that'll snap you back into reality.

10-6 is enough to (usually) get you a playoff berth. You may be a longshot but you can catch fire with some luck. GB caught fire and got a ring, no reason to be disappointed with that when you've rarely put together winning seasons in succession. 

Yeah there are instances where you wasnt more like when PHI kept getting stopped su the NFC Championship, but they were at least good enough to repeatedly get to the postseason. When was the last time Chicago did? We've only had one pair of back to back winning seasons since 2000, and only twice have we had back to back postseason berths since 1990.

I'll take 10-6 all day for now. 

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Waaaaaaa....😭

It's SB or nothing with you right?

Coming from the depths of the Emery/Trestman/Fox era when we were the NFCN doormat and a laughingstock up to 20-12 and maybe 30-18/.625 is a nice move.

It's likely to be a strange year all around so nothing will be easy to predict right now least of all whether or not they'll even get 16 games in but unless Mitch all of a sudden becomes Patrick Mahomes I see this as still being a foundation building year.  We're still a player or three short of well stocked across the board and we have a mystery novel at QB that hasn't even had it's first chapter read yet.

Playoffs are a reasonable expectation but a SB is still a 50:1 shot at best.

If 10-6 or 30-12 seems boring to you why not let your mind wander back to a 3-13 season 4 years ago and 14-34/.292 under Fox.  Maybe that'll snap you back into reality.

Yes, the goal is a Super Bowl.

The goal every season is a Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

10-6 is enough to (usually) get you a playoff berth. You may be a longshot but you can catch fire with some luck. GB caught fire and got a ring, no reason to be disappointed with that when you've rarely put together winning seasons in succession. 

Yeah there are instances where you wasnt more like when PHI kept getting stopped su the NFC Championship, but they were at least good enough to repeatedly get to the postseason. When was the last time Chicago did? We've only had one pair of back to back winning seasons since 2000, and only twice have we had back to back postseason berths since 1990.

I'll take 10-6 all day for now. 

I am no saying I wouldn’t be happy with 10-6 and a playoff birth.

I am saying that Mitch being good gives the Bears the best chance of doing something in the playoffs.

It is the longest shot as is winning a Super Bowl, but moves should be made with the best chance of winning a Super Bowl, even if it only increases their chances by 1%, that is still something,

ZERO doubt that best case scenario, and the one that gives us best shot to be real in the post season, is Mitch figuring it out. That would be ******* amazing and I'd be thrilled, to even get average->good play out of him. 

That said, crazy **** happens in the playoffs all the time, so 10-6 gets you in, and once you're there anything can happen. Foles won a SB with what was for sure a better overall offense, but lets just say everything clicks for once: OL plays up to 2018 level, TEs can catch balls and not fall down, RB takes a step with an improved running package, and lets say the D is just as good as it could be with our personnel there. With that, plus Foles playing average ball? No reason not to hope for the best if that happens. There's about 7 teams I think have more of a shot in the NFC than the Bears, but like I said, crazy **** happens all the time. I'm not even saying you're wrong that it wouldn't be best for the whole team to David-Byrne-it-up and suck and then the front office is killed in the woods and Mack and all the good players are traded for first rounders and we somehow get Lawrence and become an offensive juggernaut in three years, but if you're asking me what I'm hoping for? I'm hoping for the Bears to be good, and I can see a path to that happening. 

I get your point of view, but I also want to enjoy my fall season.  This year has been **** on a cracker and while I'm not optimistic that ball will even be played I would be really happy to watch good Bears. 

As an aside, would anyone be interested in a tangential bull **** thread where we talk about food and drink to enjoy Bears games with?  I can't stop cooking and buying fancy wine and sprits lately. 

• Like 1

If 8-8 in 2019 was disgustingly humdrum at least we have company.  Not exactly bottom fisher company either.

In the last ten years, 30 teams have finished a season with an 8-8 record. Simple math places that at three teams per season with the infamous record. Frequent offenders with this win-loss standing are the Dallas Cowboys (2011, 2012, 2013, 2019), Pittsburgh Steelers (2012, 2013, 2019), and Chicago Bears (2011, 2013, 2019).

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Yes, the goal is a Super Bowl.

The goal every season is a Super Bowl.

Then you're pretty much bound to be disappointed much of the time or at least until this team achieves the annual competence of New England if ever.

I'm into more realistic goals than that at least for 2020.

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Then you're pretty much bound to be disappointed much of the time or at least until this team achieves the annual competence of New England if ever.

I'm into more realistic goals than that at least for 2020.

Not disappointed if you are competing for the Super Bowl.

Realistic goals is also another way of saying lowered expectations. I am not sure why the Bears should be given that pass.

There own incompetence is not a good excuse for not fielding a competitive team. That is a good excuse for firing people.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Realistic goals is also another way of saying lowered expectations. I am not sure why the Bears should be given that pass.

There own incompetence is not a good excuse for not fielding a competitive team. That is a good excuse for firing people.

I don't believe that this what you really think Windy. At this point, it's just a troll job in order to get a reaction. 

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't believe that this what you really think Windy. At this point, it's just a troll job in order to get a reaction. 

I don’t think this team can compete for a Super Bowl.

I have also been vocal about the mediocre job Pace has done in 5 years.

The expectation for this team should be to compete for the Super Bowl. The fact that is unrealistic is the problem.

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Maybe in your world but in mine they're the building blocks to success.  And you seem to be one of the very few hung up on the Bears somehow being far more incompetent than any other NFL team.  You don't see a glass half empty you continually want to see it dry as a bone.  It's not.

As I've posted before had the last two seasons resulted in an 8-8 record followed by a 12-4 record it's quite likely we wouldn't even be having these kind of debates and you'd look like a fool for pushing your theories about incompetence and potential failure.  Even with the facts as they stand to have gone 20-12/.625 in the first two seasons with a rookie HC nursing a nearly rookie QB I'd call that a very good building block from which to ascend following Fox's 14-34/.292 collapse.

They are a competitive team by anyone's reckoning but you're own,  just not a SB level team quite yet.  This year may tell us more about how much closer we've come to it.

And if we're gonna get into firing and hiring someone like you would be at the bottom of any list of potential prospects to select someone to better this team.  You're wrong far more than you are ever right but then most complainers are.  You've even suggested GM prospects whose records as personnel guys are no better than Paces and some even worse.  But that's beside the point.  Pace isn't leaving just for your benefit so you might as well deal with what is not what you'd like it to be. 

Try that as your own realistic goal for now and you may change your outlook.