Nick Foles: Reasons for Optimism

soulman

10 hours ago, soulman said:

My point was that after leaving StL he was essentially a .500 QB.  So "not so good".  That's what I posted.  Not lousy and not a failure just not as good or maybe a more correct term would be not as successful.  And yes he did get a 10-5 AZ to a Super Bowl.  But I stand by my opinion that he managed to get signed by the right team at the right time just as Foles happened to be in the right place at the right time in Philly.  He got them to a Super Bowl and won that game becoming it's MVP. 

Has Warner had a more productive career? Of course he has.  But that really has nothing to do with whether or not I believe Foles can help the Bears.  In fact it's even possible he's with another team at just the right time and his ability to step in and successfully replace a starter maybe challenged again.  It's entirely possible.

As for Warner's career prior to landing in the NFL that isn't a topic I'm concerned with or even significant in my thinking.

I get what you're saying. There is plenty of reason to be optimistic about Foles, but any Warner comparisons aren't particularly apt. Warner was a small school guy back when there was a real prejudice against those types (you'd NEVER see any QB from Wyoming drafted in the top ten, for example). He needed playing time, didn't get it until he was out of the league. Could maybe have even kept Eli on the bench for a while had he not come back from his hand injury way too soon--which led to inaccuracy and loads of fumbles. Foles has had a jumbled career so far, He actually played pretty well last year for Jacksonville, although the W-L doesn't reflect that...but the Jaguars were a dumpster fire, overall, and the player exodus they're experiencing certainly reflects that. The Jags also drafted a guy they wanted to give a shot, plus they know Lawrence, Fields, etc., are on the horizon. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I get what you're saying. There is plenty of reason to be optimistic about Foles, but any Warner comparisons aren't particularly apt. Warner was a small school guy back when there was a real prejudice against those types (you'd NEVER see any QB from Wyoming drafted in the top ten, for example). He needed playing time, didn't get it until he was out of the league. Could maybe have even kept Eli on the bench for a while had he not come back from his hand injury way too soon--which led to inaccuracy and loads of fumbles. Foles has had a jumbled career so far, He actually played pretty well last year for Jacksonville, although the W-L doesn't reflect that...but the Jaguars were a dumpster fire, overall, and the player exodus they're experiencing certainly reflects that. The Jags also drafted a guy they wanted to give a shot, plus they know Lawrence, Fields, etc., are on the horizon. 

Playing for JAX was kinda like ending up with the wrong team at the wrong time.  I'll certainly give Minshew his due for winning some games JAX may not otherwise have won but in reality was he any better or luckier than Foles, or others have been at times during their careers.  Look at the run Josh McCown had here under Trestman that relaunched his NFL career.  He was down to coaching HS football and that run of his with the Bears earned him millions afterward.

At this moment without looking back I can't even recall why Warner's name entered into this other than my saying he ended up in the right place at the right time after failing to even make an NFL roster prior to that. His experience in Arena Ball and NFL Euro may have prepared him well enough but then what about Foles experience which is actually NFL experience?  Some things are tough to predict so I won't even try other than to say I'm kinda glad we got Foles.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

I think Foles will provide an acceptable floor to the level of QB play that the Bears get this season.

I do not see the surrounding offensive talent to get peak Philly Foles.

Best case scenario for me is still that we get ceiling Mitch, which I understand is a major long shot.