HoboRocket

XFL Purchased by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, $4 Billion Investment Firm

Posted (edited)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/29588303/dwayne-johnson-investor-group-agree-buy-xfl%3fplatform=amp

The Rock, along with RedBird Capital (an investment firm that manages over 4 billion in assets), purchased the XFL for the low price of $15 million dollars. 

XFL Operations officer Jeffrey Pollack called it a "Hollywood" move, something that only happens in movies.

The Rock went on to state that he was motivated to make the purchase as both a former player, a fan of football and the XFL, and someone who wanted to do right by the fans and players. 

The XFL generated $20 million in revenue in an abbreviated 2020 season this past year and was on pace for $46 million from this season alone before it was cut short by COVID. 

The XFL averaged 1.9 million viewers per game in 2020.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 2

The founder of RedBird, Gerry Cardinale, is notably on the board for OneTeam, a management group and governing body for the NFLPA and MLB players association.

• Like 1

Love Dwayne Johnson, hope he brings it back strong 

• Like 1

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

Imagine commissioner Johnson suiting up and kicking arse?

He was a DT for Miami back in the day.

Posted (edited)

The XFL is so dead I think this would be legitimately more entertaining as a WWE storyline. The Rock goes to by the XFL to hand it over to Stone Cold Steve Austin, but he's foiled at the last second by Vince McMahan for some reason. The bankruptcy judge (played by the Undertaker) declares that the XFL will be awarded to the winner of SummerSlam.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Let’s goooo!

My Vipers won’t disappoint me this time!

• Like 3

I don’t see it working but they should absolutely stay away from immobile QBs and coaches who want to run “pro style” offenses. It’s unwatchable with minor league players.

Good to see. Just hope they get rid of the playcall cam goofiness. But keep the refs and the common sense with the penalties. That part right there made it infinitely better than the NFL which is a comedy show at this point. Definitely hope it can flourish.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don’t see it working but they should absolutely stay away from immobile QBs and coaches who want to run “pro style” offenses. It’s unwatchable with minor league players.

Yeah, I mostly agree. The one notable exception was the Renegades offense with Landry Jones, coached by Bob Stoops and Hal Mumme. That wasn't the most fun offense in the league, but it was definitely watchable and fun when it was clicking. When Philip Nelson was playing QB, though, it was complete garbage. The Guardians offense at the end was kind of fun, but part of that was actually having a competent QB in Luis Perez and having less drama from off-field explosions.

But yeah, when you look at the XFL this year, the Wildcats offense with Josh Johnson was incredibly entertaining. The Roughnecks offense with PJ Walker was must-watch football. The BattleHawks offense with Jordan Ta'Amu was fun. The Vipers were at their least sucky when Quinton Flowers was a factor as a QB/RB hybrid, and that one week where Taylor Cornelius thought he was a running QB (reminded me of Kevin Hogan for the Browns lol). The Defenders offense was fun before Cardale pooped the bed, but early on he was running decisively and making plays on the move and it was much better, even forced teams to play them differently. He's just hot garbage above the shoulders and couldn't adjust. 

The Dragons were one of those teams that were entertaining and seemed like they shouldn't be as awful as they were, but they were terrible. Their running game was fun. Brandon Silvers legitimately looked like a fun, mobile, gun-slinger at QB for the first week before regression to the mean kicked in. It was better with BJ Daniels, a much more mobile QB.

In general, the XFL was a better product with mobile QBs who were worse as paasers than with traditional pro-style QBs who were worse as runners. It was an amazing product with guys like Josh Johnson, PJ Walker, and Jordan Ta'Amu who could legitimately do both.