XFL Purchased by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, $4 Billion Investment Firm

HoboRocket

3 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

$15 mil is not even 1 movie check for the Rock.  He'll just make F&F Moped edition to pay for it.

The question is what follow-on investments potentially need to be made to underwrite early-year losses

On 8/3/2020 at 9:13 PM, NinerFever said:

Now, i didn't really watch it, some highlights once in a while. But wasn't the XFL overall well received and had good ratings ?

I really enjoyed it. A few of the games were more entertaining than NFL games, but you also had your fair share of Bengals VS Browns without the rivalry. Really, it was like college football with better presentation and some cool quirks. By Week 5, it had already surpassed year 1 revenue expectations, and following a slight slump in weeks 2 and 3, attendance/ticket sales skyrocketed. Also, since it was the first year of the league, it took a while for teams to establish an identity and culture for the fanbase. Once it did, though, the atmosphere was incredible and you saw teams gain tons of traction in online and social media following.

And the slump was honestly expected when multiple starting QBs were out week 1 and the Renegades and Wildcats had to start Philip Nelson and Charles Kanoff, respectively. Like, every game had a wart in week 1. The following weeks' slates were much better and had some must-watch football, and people caught on. Ratings slowly dwindled (though very slightly - more of a narrative than a reality, as in later weeks the amount was negligible, and ratings actually rose for accessible Primetime games - it just hurt when a few of the games got moved to like FS2 or something like that due to scheduling conflicts), but you saw a surge in views as far as reruns go right before the league started to close due to COVID, every game sold out in every stadium for the rest of the season, and merchandise sales skyrocketed.

It doesn't help that a lot of the league's merchandise was only just getting added to the store or just shipping out when the league closed. The XFL Topps set ended up getting canceled due to the league closing prior to its release. There WERE some Topps Now cards that were released on a weekly basis.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 3

I've been hearing news about the XFL being up for auction and some large corporations being interested, but Dwayne Johnson? This is like ... something from one of his movies. I liked him as a wrestler but have no idea what to expect from him as an owner.

He played college football for the Miami Hurricanes, so he knows the game firsthand. And he was quite poor before he entered the business (in his book, he wrote about stealing discarded hotel mattresses so he and his friends would have something to sleep on), so he understands the hard financial realities many athletes will be facing these days.  But I think the most important thing will be Johnson's keen business acumen. He understood from the beginning that the boom of the Attitude Era wouldn't last forever. He became a wrestling star, rode the wave, saved his money and moved on to other ventures.

I enjoyed the XFL and watched every week, rooting for the New York Guardians but really supporting every player who took the field because they were finally getting another chance to do something they loved before an appreciative national audience. The league had a very solid presentation, made sensible adjustments to the game, and greatly streamlined the officiating. I'd love to see them back, and I look forward to finding out what the new ownership has in store for us.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

No way, can you imagine if Miami had a bunch of all star players at one point.

The Rock started ahead of Warren Sapp. He started alongside Miami MLB Ray Lewis back in the day.

EDIT: At the 4:25 mark, the highest paid actor in Hollywood sacks the only NBA player to win a Heisman Trophy. Wild...

EDIT 2: I forgot that Rohan Marley (son of Bob Marley) was a starting LB on those 'Canes teams too. He pops up in the highlights.

On 8/3/2020 at 10:13 PM, NinerFever said:

Now, i didn't really watch it, some highlights once in a while. But wasn't the XFL overall well received and had good ratings ?

The play was well received but there’s kind of revisionist history on it. The ratings tanked and were going down rapidly. Started higher than the AAF but there was no sign that it was going to level out soon. Also despite some franchises like Seattle having strong attendance, the vast majority of the attendance was very poor. There were rumors that Vince was not happy with the metrics before Covid. 

However..... there was no indication they were on the path to success 

• Like 1

I see this as a win. By the time the league can get off it's feet again, the country will still be sport deprived and want what they can get their hands on. We need minor league football also. This isn't a lot of money to him either so it's not like he's putting his entire life savings on the line. Worthy investment IMO.