Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
broncos_fan _from _uk

Juwan James out for the year

Recommended Posts

They theoretically could just eat all the dead money next year with the rollover this creates. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

He’ll get $150k plus all of his bonuses (which is a lot)

Jeez...I'd say this guy knows exactly what he's doing...who's his agent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if Risner becomes the swing OT now. If Bolles or Wilkinson go down, Risner to OT and Muti to OG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I am far from a hysteric over the pandemic, I do respect someone's choice to opt out especially if they have family members who are high-risk. 

That being said, I can't say I'm terribly supportive of James on this one. Seems like the guy just doesn't want to play. 

I say good riddance. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Even though I am far from a hysteric over the pandemic, I do respect someone's choice to opt out especially if they have family members who are high-risk. 

That being said, I can't say I'm terribly supportive of James on this one. Seems like the guy just doesn't want to play. 

I say good riddance. 

Agreed 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-post from the training camp thread... But I think a perspective that hasn't really been raised.

...............................

So is his cap hit now just $150k? That's the real rub I guess, because it'd allow us to go make a trade. Ifwe're still charged the full cap hit on the season that's total BS and the NFL botched the amendment.

While it couldn't have come at a worse position for this team, it's an opt out that may do wonders for the back end of his contract.  Guy can play when he's healthy, he's just not healthy often enough.

.................................

Not sure how old his kid is, but having an 11 month old at home, I'm admittedly more sympathetic to any opt outs than I prob would have been a year ago.  Especially to a guy with a baby at home.  Personally, I don't believe any of the research that suggests infants/toddlers can't get it or have more mild symptoms. With the varying degrees of symptoms, I wouldn't risk something as high risk as the NFL's terrible safety measures and game plan for this season. Football is going to be a disaster based on the setup, and the virus will surely run rampant through NFL locker rooms if they don't change to a bubble.  

I'm now genuinely worried that Lock's development can be stunted having no competent protection on either side. Which is the worst part of this all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Re-post from the training camp thread... But I think a perspective that hasn't really been raised.

...............................

So is his cap hit now just $150k? That's the real rub I guess, because it'd allow us to go make a trade. Ifwe're still charged the full cap hit on the season that's total BS and the NFL botched the amendment.

While it couldn't have come at a worse position for this team, it's an opt out that may do wonders for the back end of his contract.  Guy can play when he's healthy, he's just not healthy often enough.

.................................

Not sure how old his kid is, but having an 11 month old at home, I'm admittedly more sympathetic to any opt outs than I prob would have been a year ago.  Especially to a guy with a baby at home.  Personally, I don't believe any of the research that suggests infants/toddlers can't get it or have more mild symptoms. With the varying degrees of symptoms, I wouldn't risk something as high risk as the NFL's terrible safety measures and game plan for this season. Football is going to be a disaster based on the setup, and the virus will surely run rampant through NFL locker rooms if they don't change to a bubble.  

I'm now genuinely worried that Lock's development can be stunted having no competent protection on either side. Which is the worst part of this all.

I don’t think the NFL plays until the spring, if at all until there is a vaccine.

However, the knock on James is that he’s soft....so opting out makes sense for him I think is more the point.  

James should’ve been playing last year and “mentally” couldn’t.  He very much seems like a player that got his payday and has now bailed.  I hope I’m wrong, but that’s his track record and I was someone who defended him at one point.

Edited by germ-x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I don’t think the NFL plays until the spring, if at all until there is a vaccine.

However, the knock on James is that he’s soft....so opting out makes sense for him I think is more the point.  

James should’ve been playing last year and “mentally” couldn’t.  He very much seems like a player that got his payday and has now bailed.  I hope I’m wrong, but that’s his track record and I was someone who defended him at one point.


They aren’t just going to pull the season because of a few positive cases. Look at the EPL as an example of a league that played on with no bubble and managed to just play through some positive cases 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, paul-mac said:


They aren’t just going to pull the season because of a few positive cases. Look at the EPL as an example of a league that played on with no bubble and managed to just play through some positive cases 

Completely different situations.  The UK is reporting 1,000 or fewer cases a day, the United States is reporting 60,000.  It’s literally everywhere here and at this stage completely uncontrollable without a nation wide shut down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, germ-x said:

Completely different situations.  The UK is reporting 1,000 or fewer cases a day, the United States is reporting 60,000.  It’s literally everywhere here and at this stage completely uncontrollable without a nation wide shut down.  

Bud, it's been completely uncontrollable/uncontainable since march. Pretty hard to find solid data that lockdowns do much good. The EU tried lots of variations buy end results are about the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Bud, it's been completely uncontrollable/uncontainable since march. Pretty hard to find solid data that lockdowns do much good. The EU tried lots of variations buy end results are about the same.

I’m not advocating for a lock down and it wouldn’t work in the US anyway.  Just saying that’s really the only way to get any sort of control over it at this point, but it will never happen. 

As far as football, again don’t see it happening without a bubble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never criticize a player for doing something health-wise they feel is best for themselves or their family. At the end of the day, these are people, not machines. I'm also in the minority (I think) who feels James got thrown under the bus big time by the team last year- Vic calling out his mental toughness, outwardly doubting his injury, when it came out later that he had a more significant injury than was initially thought + one that wasn't healing well.

Not a great look for James though given his overall reputation. But I wouldn't be so quick to assume the locker room doesn't have his back- no way of telling what the thoughts were on the FO/coaches for throwing him under the bus + Vic's earlier comments this year + Simmons not getting a contract. Players back players most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 12:04 PM, AKRNA said:

Bud, it's been completely uncontrollable/uncontainable since march. Pretty hard to find solid data that lockdowns do much good. The EU tried lots of variations buy end results are about the same.

Talking through how players in this sport are going to keep themselves safe is something we are all interested and concerned with...however, let's discuss football and leave the epidemiology discussions on other forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...