Juwan James out for the year

On 8/11/2020 at 7:24 PM, germ-x said:

No one has said it, but I will.  Professional athletes are non essential.  They’re entertainers.  It is is no doubt difficult to watch professional athletes opt out especially when they’re arguably put in the safest situations in the country because they can afford testing out the arse. Factor in they aren’t even actually forfeiting any money it’s just being deferred and it makes it even harder to swallow.  

Call me petty or whatever you’d like, but I’m just stating what’s at the crux of this situation with James.  As someone else mentioned, this was very convenient for him and should’ve been expected considering his past history.  

Haha we all want to opt out right now and 99% of the country has far better reasons to do so and far more exposure than an NFL player. 

There is so much money involved in the business there should be no excuse for not creating a successful environment.

However, until I see it happen I have my doubts because there are so many variables to cohesively control and too much hubris among the owners.

15 hours ago, germ-x said:

Haha.  The NFL has conducted almost 110,000 covid 19 tests in about a 2-3 week period.  Players have been getting tested daily for the last 2 weeks......I think I’d have chosen to play.  Sounds like the safest profession on the planet.  

For a comparison the entire state of Colorado does that many tests in about 2 weeks.

Ironically enough, depending on where they live, they're probably more likely to get the virus by opting out. 

1 hour ago, The Helicopter said:

There is so much money involved in the business there should be no excuse for not creating a successful environment.

However, until I see it happen I have my doubts because there are so many variables to cohesively control and too much hubris among the owners.

I don’t know if they’ll continue testing daily after September 5th, but daily testing will be huge in being able to control spread.  

As far as the owners, they could get over confident, who knows.  But I also don’t have an issue putting some of the onus on the players making responsible choices.  They are grown men after all.  What happened in the MLB is a great example.  When it started spreading within the Marlins organization David Price and others came out about how the MLB and owners don’t care about the players.  Come to find out the players weren’t following protocols.  The Cleveland pitchers who went out on the town in Chicago.  That’s on the players not the MLB or the owners.  IMO the stunt the Cleveland pitchers pulled should be enough to have been booted for the rest of the year without pay.

I also don’t have an issue with how the NFL and it’s owners have handled this thus far.  I mean they’re giving players who opted out $150,000-$300,000, plus their bonuses, and deferring the rest to the next year.  IMO that’s being more than generous considering that’s an employee who told their employer they aren’t working this year. 

There’s no way the NFL could pull off the bubble like the NBA.  It’s going to take players being smart and following protocols.  The daily testing should do wonders in helping mitigate spread.  For a league with the sheer numbers of players, staff that’s about the best that can be done, IMO. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:28 AM, The Helicopter said:

The bolded bud is probably the greatest understatement of the year. I'll bet sitting around a campfire with a bunch of friends you'd have stated that a bit differently.

On a positive note, once a year I have blood work done. At 69 Dr's like to do that. At my request they checked for antibodies for CV-19. Seems I already had it. Now, I'm crazy healthy, work outside developing my place here and am rarely sick. It was back in early February and I had a nasty dry cough that wouldn't go away. I was boiling water and breathing steam a few times a day. After about 10 days it went away. A good friend of mine that I was hanging out with when I went to town also came down with it, almost died and spent 10 days in the ICU. He's younger than I but has emphysema. Glad he made it, he's a good friend.

Whats interesting is that in Alaska at that time all kinds of people were getting sick. It was just a month before CV-19 became a thing though. No one even thought about it.

Anyway, I'm good and sincerely hope all my friends on this forum are the same. If you ever want to experience the best fishing Alaska has to offer, let me know. I'd get a real kick out of hosting folks I've only known through this forum.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 3