ChazStandard

Who comes away with the win?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who comes away with the win?

• Patriots in a blow out
    • Patriots in a close one
    • Panthers in a close one
    • Panthers in a blow out

On a positive note updating the numbers from last week, here's Brady since Deflategate, now 16 games or one full season, and how this would stack up against his best full seasons pre-Deflategate:

394/587 - 67.1% (2nd, 2007)

4953 Yards (2nd, 2011)

38 TD (3rd, 2007 and 2011)

2 INT (1st)

113.3 PR (2nd, 2007)

As long as he keeps playing like this, can't be too worried about this team.  

58 minutes ago, mission27 said:

On a positive note updating the numbers from last week, here's Brady since Deflategate, now 16 games or one full season, and how this would stack up against his best full seasons pre-Deflategate:

394/587 - 67.1% (2nd, 2007)

4953 Yards (2nd, 2011)

38 TD (3rd, 2007 and 2011)

2 INT (1st)

113.3 PR (2nd, 2007)

As long as he keeps playing like this, can't be too worried about this team.  

Definitely keeps the hope alive. Brady and the O will do their bit, just need the D to come to the party.

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Don't blame the D guys, this is my fault. First, I let @ChazStandard make the GDT. I mean, what was I thinking? Secondly, I have worn my Aaron Dobson jersey during both wins this year, but couldnt find it today... 

I agree. This is all on you. All of this could have been avoided if you'd been here to keep me from doing something stupid.

Yuck.

Pretty much sums up yesterday's performance, at least defensively it does. I have to say, I'm very shocked about how bad this defense has been 4 games into the season. I thought it was going to be an elite unit, and I thought the secondary was going to be one of the best in the league.

That being said, I can't be go from being that high on the defense going into the season, and think that this is going to continue. They're just too talented for this to keep up. Hot take for me to say they won't finish ranked as one of the worst defenses in the league, but they won't.  Games aren't played on paper, but Harmon, McCourty, Gilmore, and Butler are too good of players for this to continue. Belichick and Patricia are too good of coaches for this to continue.

Now, I don't know what will be done to fix this. Because it's pretty damn obvious the issue lies in communications. Harmon, Butler, McCourty, and Rowe have all played with each other. Process of elimination (and the benching) tells you that it's Gilmore right now. The secondary and the new guy can't get in sync. Harmon's post game comments are definitely concerning. For those that didn't hear them, he was asked if they just need to maybe simplify what they're doing defensively and he said "it can't get any simpler than what they're doing now". Yikes. There are too many blown coverages, too many guys wide open. It's shocking. I don't know what's going to change or how they're going to fix it. But I trust Belichick and the leaders of this secondary, specifically McCourty and Harmon, to figure it out. History tells me I'm right….but time will tell.

Something I'm wondering about the communication issue, and I could be wrong here, is if it's a result of Hightower playing on the line of scrimmage and no longer "Captaining" the defense. Not placing the blame on Van Noy, but I wonder if that's part of the issue. Maybe they have to kick him back inside.

Mobile QB's have always given us trouble. We all know that. We said that before the game even started. Hell, Belichick even said how much of a nightmare it is to game plan for someone like Newton. Newton has looked like garbage for the last year now, and he put on a show yesterday. They didn't rush him, played super conservative and he picked them apart. Not a good showing, at all.

The offense continues to be well oiled machine and put up 30 on a good defensive team. I can't (and can at the same time) believe that Brady almost put us on his back again. When the Patriots need a big play, pretty obvious they lean on Amendola. I will continue to talk up how clutch he is, because he deserves it. Two 4th down conversions? Hanging onto a third down (I think) conversion when he got ROCKED. I love that guy.

Patriots didn't deserve to win this game, there's no doubt about that, but what a terribly officiated game. The PI on Gronk was garbage. The Gilmore call infuriated me. I'm getting mad again thinking about it right now. Defense forces a clutch 3 and out. Wise comes up big again. And you make THAT call in THAT spot? Are you kidding me? Such a soft call. Brady was going to get the ball back and get the W. 100%.

Is the "cut Gostkowski crowd" still a thing? Nailed a career long yesterday and continues to be great weapon on kick offs. Look around the league and see how many bad kickers there are. This guy goes under appreciated, while he's been one of the best kickers in league history.  Watch Nick Folk (I know he hit a game winner) try to kick and tell me you want someone off the streets to replace Space Ghost. You can't tell me that and mean it.

Short week, on the road, against another mobile QB with a couple of great weapons. The defense has to figure this out fast or we could be looking at 2-3. Unless Brady and the offense puts us on his back again.

My boy Neon Dion with the TD. LET'S GOOOOO

I expected Butler to struggle with Carolina's big WRs but he was just getting turned around. He looks bad this season. The penalties against Gilmore were lame. He's not playing great but I think that maybe too much blame is being heaped on him. Miscommunication on Whitaker's TD may not have been entirely his fault. Not saying he played great, but their problems extend far beyond Gilmore.

Defense giving up so many big plays. Getting gashed on runs. Annoying to watch.

Penalties on that last drive were gross. Defensive holding upfield away from the action on a running play? Please. The first hands to the face penalty on Gilmore was ridiculous. Fingertips grazed his chinstrap. I think that extended a drive too. Overall, though, penalties weren't the reason they lost. They should've given up more points if not for Flowers' brilliant punch-out and Newton's boneheaded long pass. The D has already given up more than half the amount of points they gave up in all of last season, and that's with the kicking game playing the field position game fairly well and the offense turning it over ONCE in four games. Oh boy!

Offense looked good, though the OL in passpro is still an obvious concern. Was nice to finally see Gillisssissippi run some dudes over.

Maybe the D can hold Tampa to under 30 so we have a chance Thursday night.

Archived