49ers sign TE Jordan Reed

49erurtaza

Man I know NFL teams are supposed to do what's best for them but I just find it irresponsible to sign Jordan Reed.  Has the dude had a single season where he didn't suffer a concussion, if not multiple?  

Edited by iknowcool

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

He couldn't even play in 2019.

Yeah,  and that time away likely does 3 things
It helps him recover, lowers the chances for another concussion and it also emboldens the players that everything is going to be OK.
CB Sam Shields had multiple concussions and came back after a year away and he tried to play -  but he avoided contact like a matador and soon realized he was done for good.  Best wishes for Reed, hopefully he can walk away on his terms

13 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The 49ers team doc should probably lose his medical license 

Joe Staley still has his eye, right? The 49ers' medical staff is probably fine. Reed had a year away from the game, so it's expected that he should be all clear. What do you want them to do, say he can't play when he tests perfectly? They could get sued for that. Of course, if he gets hurt again and has permanent damage, they could be sued for that, too. They're between a rock and a hard place.

7 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Joe Staley still has his eye, right? The 49ers' medical staff is probably fine. Reed had a year away from the game, so it's expected that he should be all clear. What do you want them to do, say he can't play when he tests perfectly? They could get sued for that. Of course, if he gets hurt again and has permanent damage, they could be sued for that, too. They're between a rock and a hard place.

He's also been seeing independent doctors. He was having daily exams with them last year. If they are clearing him as well, then it is what it is

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

10 years from now...the decision to allow these yearly concussion guys to continue to play is going to appear pretty barbaric. You can’t say that you care about CTE and player safety only to allow Reed to continue to play. At some point, someone has to be responsible. So much of concussion screening is subjective...and clearly Reed is going to do what it takes to get on the field...even if that means turning his brain to Swiss cheese. At some point common sense and good medical decision making has to take place. I’d hope that’d come from a physician who cares about the wellbeing of their patients...but that is clearly not happening. 

On 8/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, Forge said:

If we are being honest....I kind of would have just continued working with Ross Dwelley? I mean, I guess there's a huge upside here, but it feels like the percentages of reaching that ceiling are so minimal it's barely there. 

So it’s not Peanut Butter Dwelley time???

Big sad 

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

10 years from now...the decision to allow these yearly concussion guys to continue to play is going to appear pretty barbaric. You can’t say that you care about CTE and player safety only to allow Reed to continue to play. At some point, someone has to be responsible. So much of concussion screening is subjective...and clearly Reed is going to do what it takes to get on the field...even if that means turning his brain to Swiss cheese. At some point common sense and good medical decision making has to take place. I’d hope that’d come from a physician who cares about the wellbeing of their patients...but that is clearly not happening. 

Oh, I totally agree. It's just such a mess, and I wish it wasn't. Especially since Jordan Reed is one of my favorite players ever. Dude was absolutely insane in 2015 and 2016, but has been unable to really get onto the field for three years after dealing with injuries prior to that. And for people who say that 2015 was his only dominant year, you need to watch more football. He was great in his first two years and only got better before the injuries completely derailed his career.

Stats may not show it, but dude had incredible catches and pulled away from DBs on a regular basis as a TE. Amazing route-runner. In 2016, he had like 10 catches for 95 yards in the second half of the Thanksgiving game... After cracking a rib and separating his AC joint in the first half. He abused Byron Jones, Barry Church, Morris Claiborne, Brandon Carr, and Orlando Scandrick... NONE of them could do anything to contain him while he was injured. He abused that secondary twice that season.

He was excellent day-in and day-out. Dominant through his first four seasons. He's really tough, too. However, he's like a more extreme version of Julian Edelman where he's continuously sacrificing his body to make a play, and Reed will suffer long-term because of it.