We waived 3 players & cut 1to get close to the 80 player limit

turtle28

1. TE Caleb Wilson - sucks, I wanted to see his potential, I guess it won’t be here.

2. RB Josh Ferguson 

3. DE Cameron Malevaux
4. FS Maurice Smith

Of this group, the most surprising release was probably Wilson. Washington has an incredibly thin tight end room and Wilson, the final pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, has plenty of upside as a receiver. He could’ve challenged for a role as a backup receiving option and felt like a potential practice squader. But at the same time, seeing him released isn’t shocking.

As for the rest of the group, none of the releases were surprising. Malveaux is athletic, but his chances of beating out other candidates on a loaded defensive line were slim. The same can be said of Ferguson in a deep running back room. Smith, meanwhile, was the seventh safety on the roster, so Washington didn’t need to keep him around considering that he’s behind the likes of Troy Apke, Deshazor Everett, Jeremy Reaves, and seventh-round rookie Kamren Curl.

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Cutting Caleb Wilson indicates that they want to only carry one project as a receiver and want more blocking out of the tight ends this year, which makes sense given how the run game is our strength.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Usually though he wouldn’t have been cut right now but he was bc of the shortened rosters bc of COVID. I was hoping he would prove enough to make the practice squad.

12 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

We waived 3 and CUT 1. Is there a distinct difference.  I don't really understand those two terms .🤔

It has to do with how many years the player has accrued I think. If you haven’t accrued four years in the league you go on the waiver wire. If you go unclaimed then anyone can sign you. If you’ve accrued over four years then you can sign with anyone right away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/roster-cuts-simplified-whats-difference-between-waived-cut-and-released%3famp

Waived - A non-vested player (less than four years of service) who is terminated goes through waivers. When he is released another team can claim him within a certain period of time. A vested veteran only goes through the waiversystem from the trading deadline in midseason through the end of the season.

• During the offseason and all the way up to the trading deadline, a vested veteran gets released. 

• Released - A vested veteran is free when he is terminated and can sign with any club. Keep in mind, if the termination takes place between the end of the trading deadline and the end of the calendar year, the player goes through waivers. A vested veteran released this time of year is free to sign with any team. 

• Cut - An unofficial term for being terminated and one of the above two categories applies.
Edited by turtle28

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It has to do with how many years the player has accrued I think. If you haven’t accrued four years in the league you go on the waiver wire. If you go unclaimed then anyone can sign you. If you’ve accrued over four years then you can sign with anyone right away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/roster-cuts-simplified-whats-difference-between-waived-cut-and-released%3famp

Got it ! 😵 Thanks

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

Why does it feel like the Eagles always get our guys we let go

I guess he doesn’t fit the TE mold we want on this team. We didn’t even give this guy a chance. Howie in Philly knows what he’s doing, I just hope down the road this doesn’t bite us in the *** especially with our TE situation. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1