Bills sign Brian Winters OG. Release OL Spencer Long

soflbillsfan

With Feliciano going down bills move fast to sign Brian Winters to a 1 year deal. I like the move and was telling friends I hope they pick him up because he had a respectable year before injury 526 snaps giving up 1 sack and 2 penalties last year. Should be interesting to see if he is 100% healthy.

1 year 2 mil guaranteed could make up to 3 mil total in incentives....replacing the cost of Spencer Long deal

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Jets fans say he is a penalty machine but unless they were all declined the stats last year at least don’t back that up.

Meh. Another typical Beane move. Low risk, high reward. Feliciano is the starter when he’s back anyway. 

Last year he had 2 total penalties 1 was declined. In 2018 he had 5 2 holding and 3 false starts one was declined (that was with a 1,001 snap season and he played 100% of them). 2017 is where he had the most in his career of 8. 

To me this means that they do not want to move Ford in to Guard just yet and that they do not feel comfortable with the current options. I like the move as you said low risk high reward and bills need to start looking at long term solutions as Feliciano is a FA next year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Last year he had 2 total penalties 1 was declined. In 2018 he had 5 2 holding and 3 false starts one was declined (that was with a 1,001 snap season and he played 100% of them). 2017 is where he had the most in his career of 8. 

To me this means that they do not want to move Ford in to Guard just yet and that they do not feel comfortable with the current options. I like the move as you said low risk high reward and bills need to start looking at long term solutions as Feliciano is a FA next year.

Nice job on the research! Sounds like Jets fans are hanging onto his bad habits from 3 years ago.

I trust our coaching staff over theirs in every way. Especially with Rick Dennison being their OL coach. 

This is a big year for Ford. Either he cements himself as the RT or next year he gets moved inside and RT is likely the teams biggest need. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Nice job on the research! Sounds like Jets fans are hanging onto his bad habits from 3 years ago.

I trust our coaching staff over theirs in every way. Especially with Rick Dennison being their OL coach. 

This is a big year for Ford. Either he cements himself as the RT or next year he gets moved inside and RT is likely the teams biggest need. 

I think Winters major knock is him staying healthy, as he has hit IR 3 times in his 7 year career. I dont necessarily see him as a must have person, yes if he gets injured that would stink but its not like they have options to fill in. Like you said you have Ford who could step in at times if need be and if they keep long or boehm then that is another option. I like the signing and it is something that the bills quickly addressed, it is definitely more comforting to know that they signed him but the pressure the jets had on him is far less in a bills uni. We just need him to fill in until Feliciano is healthy if he will be able to play this year.

Edited by soflbillsfan

I wonder if Beane tried to trade Long before releasing him? I figured we could have received a late round draft pick like we did for guys like Teller, Newhouse, and Bodine. Maybe his contract was the reason why? I feel like Long could be a starting guard on at least a few teams and 3.1 million isn't bad for a starting guard who can play center in a pinch.

Edited by Billsfaninptown

2 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I wonder if Beane tried to trade Long before releasing him? I figured we could have received a late round draft pick like we did for guys like Teller, Newhouse, and Bodine. Maybe his contract was the reason why? I feel like Long could be a starting guard on at least a few teams and 3.1 million isn't bad for a starting guard who can play center in a pinch.

I'm guessing it is because of the contract. 

Nsehke or Daryl Williams could be trade bade in a few weeks though. 

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I'm guessing it is because of the contract. 

Nsehke or Daryl Williams could be trade bade in a few weeks though. 

I think trades in general are going to be hard to do unless it is a top prospect. Depth moves like a ty or williams even long would be tough to do at this time. Usually you go through some preseason games and injuries happen there where teams are scrambling to fill the hole and with teams trying to get their players count down to 80 before the 17th that means less time to look at the guys they have and to decide to make the trades to look at other guys. Any other year I could see the possibility of moving one of those 3 like they did with bodine and wyatt last year.