RIP Tootie Robbins

spilltray

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/08/03/green-bay-packers-former-tackle-tootie-robbins-reportedly-dies-62/5573364002/

Born James Elbert Robbins in Windsor, North Carolina, the 6-5, 303-pound tackle was one of general manager Ron Wolf’s first free-agent signings when he took over the Packers late in the 1991 season.

The Packers’ offensive line was a mess and after Holmgren added former Cardinals offensive line coach Tom Lovat to his first staff in '92, Robbins became an anchor at right tackle. Nearing the end of his career at the time, Robbins added stability and leadership the Packers were sorely lacking.

He started 15 games in ’92 and 11 in ’93 before a torn triceps landed him on injured reserve and effectively ended his career. In 12 seasons, he played in 159 games and started 147. He played in just one playoff game — during his rookie season with the Cardinals — missing the Packers’ two-game run in ’93 because of the injury.

Robbins took then-rookie Earl Dotson under his wing after Dotson was selected in the third round and helped him develop into a top performer who started 88 games, including Super Bowl XXXI.

Robbins had retired in Chandler, Ariz., and said in a Journal Sentinel story in 2015 that his years in Green Bay were a joy.

"I came in with Mike Holmgren and things were happening fast," he said. "When I came to Green Bay, guys like (guard) Ron Hallstrom and (center) James Campen made me feel like it was home. We had a close bond on that team.

“I know guys had my back and I had theirs. That's the kind of team you want to be on." 

·
Aug 2

My deepest condolences to my former teammate BIG TOOTIE ROBBINS FAMILY!! And friends RIP BIG FELLA , MAY GOD BLESS YOU!! ,

Edited by Brat&Beer
  • Like 1