What's the big deal with Josh Allen?

everlong

4 hours ago, DraftHobbyist said:

56% completion rate in 2016, and 54.8% completion rate so far in 2017. Look no further. When playing for Wyoming, that just isn't good enough.

Let's not sugar coat things, he's clearly been affected by drops.  I believe it was the Hawaii game where I counted 3 or 4 dropped passes by his receivers in the first half, on very catchable balls mind you.  But overall, he's got his fair share of issues and quite frankly he's a project.  If someone wants to take him early Day 3, I don't mind that but asking anything any earlier than a late 3rd is asking for trouble.  Unfortunately, law of supply and demand is going to push him up the draft board.

His supporting cast is terrible. He can never get into any rhythm as a result. Not trying to suggest he's not somewhat at fault, but he has a lot working against him.

I still think he'll go in the 1st round. He's got elite measurables and if a coach can be patient enough to sit him, he'll be fine. But he needs to go to a team that clearly has a franchise QB in place already so that he does not get pushed out on the field right away. Maybe Arizona, LAChargers or Pittsburgh.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let's not sugar coat things, he's clearly been affected by drops.  I believe it was the Hawaii game where I counted 3 or 4 dropped passes by his receivers in the first half, on very catchable balls mind you.  But overall, he's got his fair share of issues and quite frankly he's a project.  If someone wants to take him early Day 3, I don't mind that but asking anything any earlier than a late 3rd is asking for trouble.  Unfortunately, law of supply and demand is going to push him up the draft board.

One of those drops the dropped interception that should have gone to the house?

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

His supporting cast is terrible. He can never get into any rhythm as a result. Not trying to suggest he's not somewhat at fault, but he has a lot working against him.

I still think he'll go in the 1st round. He's got elite measurables and if a coach can be patient enough to sit him, he'll be fine. But he needs to go to a team that clearly has a franchise QB in place already so that he does not get pushed out on the field right away. Maybe Arizona, LAChargers or Pittsburgh.

He's going to get a GM fired...just going to put that out there if a team drafts him high.  I'm all good with a team drafting him with the intention of developing him behind their current starting QB, but investing a 1st round pick into a guy who quite frankly is probably at least a year or two away from being a starting-caliber QB is too rich.  I mean, I wouldn't have used a first round pick on Patrick Mahomes, but I would sooner use a 1st round pick on Mahomes than I would on Josh Allen.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's going to get a GM fired...just going to put that out there if a team drafts him high.  I'm all good with a team drafting him with the intention of developing him behind their current starting QB, but investing a 1st round pick into a guy who quite frankly is probably at least a year or two away from being a starting-caliber QB is too rich.  I mean, I wouldn't have used a first round pick on Patrick Mahomes, but I would sooner use a 1st round pick on Mahomes than I would on Josh Allen.

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the late 1st to be groomed behind Favre.

41 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the late 1st to be groomed behind Favre.

Aaron Rodgers was also considered to be one of the favorites to go first overall in the months leading up to the draft.  Barring a significant change, the comparison isn't really all that valid.

I want to discount the possibility that Josh Allen is going in the first round..... but I can't.   Not when Jake Locker was a top eight pick with a college career 54% completion rate and Jay Cutler was a top twelve pick with a 57.2% college completion rate. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Aaron Rodgers was also considered to be one of the favorites to go first overall in the months leading up to the draft.  Barring a significant change, the comparison isn't really all that valid.

Rodgers also had very unique circumstances in the NFL. He got to see a HOF QB prepare for years and he also had good coaches that were able to, essentially, re-teach him how to play QB the right way. The expectation that just sitting a guy for a year or two will make him improve the way Rodgers did is just silly. It only really happened once and it took special circumstances. Many others have tried to do the same and failed.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, CWood21 said:

I think we've talked about this in the past, but I don't agree with thinking about the value of a QB by how many years he is until he is ready. What is most important is that a QB has a high ceiling with a high likelihood of achieving that ceiling (people seem not to look at the second half of that equation). I'll take a QB #1 Overall that is going to take 2-3 years to develop as long as I think they have a high ceiling and high chance to develop into that ceiling. That's why I liked guys like Mariota, Goff, and Trubisky.

15 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Rodgers also had very unique circumstances in the NFL. He got to see a HOF QB prepare for years and he also had good coaches that were able to, essentially, re-teach him how to play QB the right way. The expectation that just sitting a guy for a year or two will make him improve the way Rodgers did is just silly. It only really happened once and it took special circumstances. Many others have tried to do the same and failed.

Rodgers is underrated as a college prospect IMO. He had some brilliant drives in college, and I think his mechanics were a lot better than he was given credit for.

His stats say mid round talent but his physical tools say round 1.  I wouldnt take him unless u had a guy who could start for a year or 2 and then maybe let him compete. 

His numbers look worse this year cuz he lost alot of help on offense. He lost a starting wr, te, rb, c right off the top of my head. 

Archived