Bengals Traning Camp

THE DUKE

10 minutes ago, HangOnSloopy said:

Apparently now MacKenzie confronted the man that left his father behind, and was arrested.  This is a tough situation.  

I can't blame him, if a dude took my dad with him somewhere and then returned alone, some questions need answered.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

They keep saying confronted. Can you get arrested for battery for that? Maybe they arrested him to keep him from actually doing something? 

Battery means they were actually struck.  Assault can be the threat of violence even if they weren't touched.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:21 AM, theJ said:

There's a lot of weird bounces in football.  As a fan, yes i care about the results.  But mainly this is entertainment for me.  So i want to be entertained by competitive football.  Which they only did half the time or less last year.  This year i'd like to see 12-14 competitive games.  As an engineer who likes number crunching, i know that statistics say that one score games are coin tosses in football (unless you're the Pats).  So yeah, i'd like to see competitive games because i know that winning will follow.

I'm not going to apologize for that, even if you think that makes me sound like Mike Brown.

Just reading thru the thread and saw this one.... a really great point by you J.  Most NFL games are close unless a team sucks.  The good teams find ways to win the close ones.  Few team amass overwhelming talent and are able to hold it for season upon season... reason why the best coaches can leverage an organization by elevating their players' outputs every week.

So being competitive is the first step to being a winning team.  That means that you don't have any obvious/glaring holes at positions where game changing events occur (QB, OT, DE, CB); that means that you have average or better at all of your starting spots (because a crappy player on OL, for instance, can cost you your QB); that means that you don't have backups who couldn't make the rosters of 50% or more of the teams in the league; that means that you play together in all phases in the upper half of the league.  If you can achieve these goals for starters, you can be a 0.500 team even if you win only half the close ones (which are usually 70% of the contests or about 10-11 games).  If you take the prevalence of close games to a 2/3 rate, you go from 8-8 to 10-6.  So my argument is that an average or so team that wins 2/3 of the close games is in the hunt for the playoffs.... which, I think, is what you're hinting.

When you put a confident, capable QB on the field, you have a great head start on increasing the wins in close games.  Burrow looks to be that guy so far, so we need to protect him and keep our roster balanced.  Teams like Pitt, GB, NE, Balt, Dall and a few others have consistently used this formula to remain in the playoffs year after year.

56 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Alexander's dad has been found and seems to be OK.  Glad to see that outcome, which seemed like a longshot this time yesterday.

I heard that when they found him that he had amassed over two baskets of berries.... so now they just need to get the son's record cleared up so the Bengals don't end up regretting taking Zimmer's hand-me-downs.

1 hour ago, west tx bengal fan said:

Just reading thru the thread and saw this one.... a really great point by you J.  Most NFL games are close unless a team sucks.  The good teams find ways to win the close ones.  Few team amass overwhelming talent and are able to hold it for season upon season... reason why the best coaches can leverage an organization by elevating their players' outputs every week.

So being competitive is the first step to being a winning team.  That means that you don't have any obvious/glaring holes at positions where game changing events occur (QB, OT, DE, CB); that means that you have average or better at all of your starting spots (because a crappy player on OL, for instance, can cost you your QB); that means that you don't have backups who couldn't make the rosters of 50% or more of the teams in the league; that means that you play together in all phases in the upper half of the league.  If you can achieve these goals for starters, you can be a 0.500 team even if you win only half the close ones (which are usually 70% of the contests or about 10-11 games).  If you take the prevalence of close games to a 2/3 rate, you go from 8-8 to 10-6.  So my argument is that an average or so team that wins 2/3 of the close games is in the hunt for the playoffs.... which, I think, is what you're hinting.

When you put a confident, capable QB on the field, you have a great head start on increasing the wins in close games.  Burrow looks to be that guy so far, so we need to protect him and keep our roster balanced.  Teams like Pitt, GB, NE, Balt, Dall and a few others have consistently used this formula to remain in the playoffs year after year.

You make it sound so easy :)

It's one of the interesting things about football - because there's only 16 games, sometimes the cream doesn't rise to the top.  The sample size is small, and often times you find teams that were the wrong side of a slew of unlucky bounces (or vice versa). 

I think we'll see a big increase in wins this year (tough not to do with last years record though).

46 minutes ago, theJ said:

You make it sound so easy :)

It's one of the interesting things about football - because there's only 16 games, sometimes the cream doesn't rise to the top.  The sample size is small, and often times you find teams that were the wrong side of a slew of unlucky bounces (or vice versa). 

I think we'll see a big increase in wins this year (tough not to do with last years record though).

Thanks... isn't it true that coaches like Belichick make it look so easy too?  Hate to say it but the coaches in Balt and Pitt have this stuff down cold.

If you play the season close, then a few bounces at the end can put you in the playoffs.... or a few injuries can break you.  

I was kinda saying two things tho and wasn't as clear as I could have been.

1.  Teams that are "competitive" meet the first step to be playoff teams.  They are close every (or nearly every) weekend and can take what statistically amounts to a 0.500 season up a few notches by learning how to optimize in crunch time (or what Magic Johnson used to call "Winning Time").  I do believe that Joe Burrow has this although it remains to be seen whether he can maintain it at the next level through (what has often been) the dysfunction of the Mike Brown operation.

2.  A good coach can also elevate the team by coaching up every player and situation 10% more to provide that winning edge.

Would be awesome to see Zac Taylor emerge as the teacher they think he is while assisted by QB Burrow as the QB we hope he can be!