Darius Slay - Is he elite?

teude

As far as right now, I would say he's elite. I hate using that term but Slay is definitely up there as far as what's out there right now. 

I don't know if it was a scheme thing but I don't know why they wouldn't stick him on diggs this past weekend. The times that Diggs got longer balls it seemed like slay was elsewhere.

I don't think so.  He's been really good for a while, but to be recognized as truly elite, generally, you have to do it for longer.  Look at previous elite corners - take a guy like Darrelle Revis for example.  He was the best (or top 2) for many years.  I could make an argument that over the past three years, Slay has not been a top three or five CB in the league.  Whereas over that same timespan, I would say Patrick Peterson has been elite.  Or Richard Sherman has been.  

Slay can be on that level, he just has to do it consistently longer.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:15 PM, showtime said:

I don't think so.  He's been really good for a while, but to be recognized as truly elite, generally, you have to do it for longer.  Look at previous elite corners - take a guy like Darrelle Revis for example.  He was the best (or top 2) for many years.  I could make an argument that over the past three years, Slay has not been a top three or five CB in the league.  Whereas over that same timespan, I would say Patrick Peterson has been elite.  Or Richard Sherman has been.  

Slay can be on that level, he just has to do it consistently longer.

I'd say that feels about right.

In man coverage, he is a very solid NFL CB, but to be elite, you have to be able to physically manhandle WR's and I do not think Slay also  has that ability. I think he is probably a little weak in press coverage as he isn't really a big CB, which is always going to limit him somewhat.

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

In man coverage, he is a very solid NFL CB, but to be elite, you have to be able to physically manhandle WR's and I do not think Slay also  has that ability. I think he is probably a little weak in press coverage as he isn't really a big CB, which is always going to limit him somewhat.

giphy.gif

On 10/8/2017 at 3:44 AM, Iamcanadian said:

He's not big but he knows what he's doing. Is he elite at press? No but he is very quick and has a decent pop.

Archived