Training camp talk. Rumors, pictures, etc.

Gmen

Are we thinking there will be less waiver claims by teams after the cutdown this years? Between the fact that there’s not been a preseason for teams to spot sleepers on other teams, and the fact that you need to go to the trouble of flying the guy in and getting him tested before he can start practicing, teams might be better just sticking with the 53 that they’ve got? 

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Are we thinking there will be less waiver claims by teams after the cutdown this years? Between the fact that there’s not been a preseason for teams to spot sleepers on other teams, and the fact that you need to go to the trouble of flying the guy in and getting him tested before he can start practicing, teams might be better just sticking with the 53 that they’ve got? 

That is the assumption that i Have been working on and saying the last few days. Vets may still get poached (since there is NFL film on them), but I do think that UDFA and late round guys have a much better chance of making it to the PS this year than they have in years prior because of the lack of tape overall. I anticipate fairly limited poaching in that regard. 

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Lots of talk about the Saints trying to sign Clowney right now. But every year this happens with a big named FA and it rarely happens.

This is not a knock on the potential signing, but the problem is that Clowney is more "big name" than "big game". He's just so wildly inconsistent. Often nicked up. Every now and again, he will completely destroy and take over a game, and he's still a good all around player, but I don't think he quite lives up to the name any more. 

It's like when the Rams traded for Sammy Watkins or something. The name was so huge at the time...but his production / health has never quite matched up and even though he would flash dominance, it's just not the splash transaction one would think. 

I think that if the Saints sign Clowney, he's probably a solid-good player for them, but likely isn't worth the money overall and leaves fans sort of tepid on the move. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

That is the assumption that i Have been working on and saying the last few days. Vets may still get poached (since there is NFL film on them), but I do think that UDFA and late round guys have a much better chance of making it to the PS this year than they have in years prior because of the lack of tape overall. I anticipate fairly limited poaching in that regard. 

On the waiver side, vets with larger contacts will be less interesting because IF they are on roster week 1, the annual salary is guaranteed and that's an added risk in 2020. Then, with a lower cap likely in 2021, not sure how many vets with big cap #s will be claimed. Once claiming period is over on Sunday, teams will be able to move some vets to PS and teams will be able to protect some PS players from poaching each week:

"during the pandemic, teams are allowed to protect up to four practice squad players each week from other teams"

link below explains all the new CBA and pandemic rules around PS in 2020

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-roster-cuts-2020-deadline-date-rules-practice-squad/1kbnkoxzeysq18zd404lpqk3j

This year will see all kinds of interesting roster maneuvering, with the smarter GMs rising to the top

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This is not a knock on the potential signing, but the problem is that Clowney is more "big name" than "big game". He's just so wildly inconsistent. Often nicked up. Every now and again, he will completely destroy and take over a game, and he's still a good all around player, but I don't think he quite lives up to the name any more. 

It's like when the Rams traded for Sammy Watkins or something. The name was so huge at the time...but his production / health has never quite matched up and even though he would flash dominance, it's just not the splash transaction one would think. 

I think that if the Saints sign Clowney, he's probably a solid-good player for them, but likely isn't worth the money overall and leaves fans sort of tepid on the move. 

I agree completely. Clowney is pretty much the HaHa Clinton Dix of the defensive line. Incredibly overrated compared to his namesake. But with that said...as a rotational piece at the right price with Jordan, Davenport, Rankins, and Onymata? Sure, why not.