Derrius Guice arrested & Released by Washington after Domestic Violence Charges

turtle28

21 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Hopefully Love is actually healthy I mean he flashed like others have and we got nothing more. It’s a shame but honestly it happens sucks but it’s over now he is gone

We have not only Love, but the rookie in Gibson - who's a weapon & a threat like Love to go the distance every time he touches it - we also have McKissic & the established reliable vet in Peyton Barber. 

Edited by turtle28

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll also say this, I’m not a fan of how much control Ron Rivera has. From him being involved in getting the name changed to him being a part of picking the new one all the way to his daughter running the teams social media accounts. Not having a true GM for some god forsaken reason is just mind boggling to me. There is absolutely zero, I mean completely ZERO reason Ron Rivera should have full control of this franchises decision making. 

I'm fine with it, better Rivera than Dan Snyder or a puppet of his like Vinny Cerrato or Bruce Allen.

Edited by turtle28

48 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll also say this, I’m not a fan of how much control Ron Rivera has. From him being involved in getting the name changed to him being a part of picking the new one all the way to his daughter running the teams social media accounts. Not having a true GM for some god forsaken reason is just mind boggling to me. There is absolutely zero, I mean completely ZERO reason Ron Rivera should have full control of this franchises decision making. 

Said this since the day he took over.  It is unbelievable how he got this much power.  It is just proof that Snyder is just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks.  He has no real desire for a true direction that locks him out of everything.  

• Like 1

Gotta say, I predicted a little bit ago that Guice could be the odd man out, and thought the same thing in the RB Room thread if he got hurt again.  I didn't think it would be like this.  

It's a no brainer to cut him right now.  Three separate incidents where he is being charged, including one felony.  The NFL treats this a lot more harshly than they used to, and rightfully so.  The team were made aware of the investigation Thursday (started since July 22nd), excused him from all team activities until they could do more investigation.  They alerted to the NFL and they both found out about the charges this afternoon, where they promptly released him.  Given what the team just went through, letting him stay on the club until Guice had his day in court was not going to happen.  

It's pretty damn hypocritical that Latimer is still here, as well as Peterson and Foster being in the building too.  I can't defend either of those. 

Even if Guice is not guilty, I don't see him being picked back up with his knees that are shot.  His career is likely finished. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Hopefully Love is actually healthy I mean he flashed like others have and we got nothing more. It’s a shame but honestly it happens sucks but it’s over now he is gone

Love doesn't have the knee injury history that Guice had, and he won't be rushed back like Jay Gruden did to Guice.  Love should start the season without any carries, and gradually take them from Peterson as the season goes on.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well I read he strangled the woman. Of course that could be in the police report. Either way it's disturbing and I'm disappointed.

Maybe he gets a shot somewhere else in time, others have. He could always go to the CFL or XFL, prove he can stay healthy and out of trouble and return to the NFL in a few years.

Peterson got a second chance as have others.

Five charges over three dates including one felony.  With his knees the way they are, I have a feeling his career is done even after fighting this and he gets a not guilty.

Ray Rice never got a second chance and this looks pretty comparable, and Rice had a much better NFL career.  Peterson is a bit of a different situation but I believe he probably should have had more of a penalty.  If that happened today, he probably does have more of a punishment than he did back then.  

Now we've gotta get back to the rules.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, aren’t you supposed to at least wait and make sure these allegations are true? If he did them then cut his butt and move on but we’ve held onto Rueben Foster so I really don’t Understand this? 

Following the trail of events that are reported.......three separate events happened from February 14th-April 17th.  They were reported to the police on July 22nd and two different county police in two different states investigated this.  The team was alerted yesterday, and they shared that with the league office and they sent Guice home and told him not to worry about practices or any team activities until they gathered more information.  It took them a little over 24 hours but they released him.  I guess they found out enough during that time to do so.  

I agree about the other guys on the team including Foster.  Those guys had the good luck for their misdeeds to happen before the Washington Post story........not using that as a defense from me, either, just saying that's what is at play. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

From a football perspective this is the one position we can afford to lose someone. Bryce Love just made the roster.

I think Love already had a roster spot.  I had it down to Guice being healthy or Barber making the roster, with an honorable mention to AP losing two steps in camp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It took them a little over 24 hours but they released him.  I guess they found out enough during that time to do so. 

This is, in a nutshell, why I’m not currently going off the handle about releasing a player over charges and unproven accusations. Typically, I would react pretty strenuously to that, particularly when the charges are in this general area, which is probably the most rife with wrongful charges and baseless accusations. 

However, the NFL has some pretty ludicrously effective investigators and limitless connections, and I have little doubt they got their hands on a lot of information that the police have developed in the course of their investigation. Which leaves us with really two scenarios under which the Redskins would have chosen to release Guice instantly:

1. The information they received from the NFL investigators was both damning and disturbing, to the point that they were thoroughly convinced that he did some things they can’t possibly tolerate. 

2. They panicked and released him to try to get out in front of more negative publicity. 

If it’s the latter, I’m going to be absolutely furious. This is a good player and, from the outside at least, he’s seemed like a good kid since we drafted him. If he’s getting wrongfully accused and they turned their backs on him for PR purposes, I’ll be livid. 

However, based on the series of events as you’ve described — and the high regard in which Guice has seemed to be held by the organization (especially his teammates) — I’m assuming for the moment that what they learned about the events is bad enough that they had no real choice. 

• Like 2

There is no place in our society for violence against women. I hope the alleged victims are safe, and Guice receives help for his alleged transgressions. Now all of that is out of the way, I don't think Guice was ever making this team. The Redskins drafted a running back and signed two in FA. They were obviously going in a different direction. I think his inability to stay healthy sealed his fate long ago..

13 hours ago, e16bball said:

His friend’s girlfriend was right there, in her home, when Latimer was drunkenly waving his gun around, threatening to kill both of them, firing gunshots, and struggling over the gun with his buddy before pistol-whipping him. It’s not domestic violence, but it’s not exactly “respectful” to that young lady to threaten her life and terrorize her and her boyfriend in their home. 

To me, the meaningful difference between the two is Latimer was fortunate enough to get arrested for his BS before the Redskins found themselves embroiled in multiple PR nightmares/scandals, and Guice didn’t get arrested until months later — when the Redskins are firmly entrenched as the most embattled team in American sports and can’t afford yet another hit to their reputation (especially as it relates to women).

Based on the team’s reaction, I suspect the facts — specifically photos, medical records, and/or independent witness accounts — must be extremely convincing that Guice really did some disturbing stuff. If that turns out to be true, that will take them off the hook for just cutting him loose immediately. But they’ve long applied policies of “forgive and forget” and “we’ll let the process play out” on things like this, including with Latimer just a few months ago, so it’s a little hard to feel this isn’t a bit disingenuous and basically just a PR move to cut Guice instantly upon accusation. 

This is EXACTLY it!!

• Like 1