Ideal Draft Spot If You Could Pick

JaguarCrazy2832

So I ask this every year because...why the hell not thats why. 

Also, in my big $ league we draw names and whoever is drawn 1st can pick which spot they want. Like most years, I do more work than the rest of the crowd that usually just picks the highest spot but I like to put guys into tiers and pick my spots based on who I can get with the first 3-4 picks. 

This year in a 12 team non-PPR league(6 points for all TDs) I really want a Top-3 pick. There are 27 guys that I think are significantly higher(3 Tier 1, 6 Tier 2 and 17 Tier 3) than the rest and picking Top-3 guarantees me a Tier 1 player as well as at least 2 Tier 3 players. I suppose pick 4 wouldn't be terrible because there's usually 1-2 picks that make you go "Wow" for being early but I still think the Top-3 are best at RB and would like to pick there because of it

Thoughts?

This year I’m hoping for either top 3 or bottom 3. I’m having a hard time determining where Thomas and Adams outweigh a running back like say Henry or Mixon. I’m high on Sanders and Jacobs so if I could land both around the turn I’d be happy as well. Then I’d probably come back looking for Ridley/Sutton/AJ Brown/Chark in round 3-4.  At the top let’s say you get McCaffrey, then I think you have some decisions to make in round 2-3 at that turn.  At that spot (pick 21-24) with most quality backs off the board and top WR,  you might be looking at Lamar Jackson vs Kittle vs DJ Moore vs James Connor that’s a tough decision.  I kinda like the back of round one personally. If I can come away with two of either Sanders/Ekeler/Jacobs/CEH and then land two of Ridley/Brown/McLaurin/Sutton I’d be pretty happy with that 

13 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I want to be 1 to get Caff or bottom 3. I really like the depth of RB’s in the back of the 1st and starting my team off with 2 of them or 1 and one of the stud WR’s would be sweet

My biggest concern with being towards the bottom is you almost have to go RB-RB because by the time it gets to pick 33-36 the RBs are garbage. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

My biggest concern with being towards the bottom is you almost have to go RB-RB because by the time it gets to pick 33-36 the RBs are garbage. 

I think you can get a pretty viable RB 2 at the back of Round 3.

In the mocks ive done being at the 12 spot this is a viable scenario. 

1st/2nd turn- Julio Jones And Josh Jacobs 

3rd/4th turn- Chris Carson and Mark Ingram

10 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I think you can get a pretty viable RB 2 at the back of Round 3.

In the mocks ive done being at the 12 spot this is a viable scenario. 

1st/2nd turn- Julio Jones And Josh Jacobs 

3rd/4th turn- Chris Carson and Mark Ingram

Every year in my big league RBs go ridiculously quick, its why I was able to get Julio last year at pick 16. I know Carson's ADP is around 34 so in theory he should be there but I expect him to be gone in the first 25-28 picks. After Carson, I think the drop off is pretty big. People in this league value RBs so crazy-high that trading for one requires bringing way more than you should. 

It makes most mocks I do useless because you're left thinking that WR/TE wasn't supposed to be there. Do you zig when everyone else zags? Its just why I prefer Top-4 this year but if I'm towards the back end, I'm not afraid of going RB/TE or RB/WR and seeing what happens. Hell I'd go WR/TE if the right guys fell. 

Rule #1, know your league right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Usually every year I want top 3 or bottom 3. Getting the fast turn is convenient easier to guess who will be there on the turn. 

I suppose its convenient but my idea was if you're prepared I'd rather have the more valuable spot. I get the appeal but if a particular year favors 1 spot over the other, then idc about the turn. With that said I'm not happy about 8 but I didnt love any spot outside the top-4 this year because I think after the Top-4 to 6 picks, the overall difference in 7 and say 22 isnt THAT much

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Well I was the 10th name out of the hat out of 12...so I wound up with #8 overall. Not a fan!

Dont think its so bad if your league is RB heavy early, you can get 2 of  Chubb/Mixon/Jacobs/Drake/Sanders/Ekler

2 hours ago, Motion said:

Dont think its so bad if your league is RB heavy early, you can get 2 of  Chubb/Mixon/Jacobs/Drake/Sanders/Ekler

It's definitely RB heavy but on a crazy high level. I expect the first 7 picks to be RB and I dont think I can pull the trigger on Michael Thomas at 8(Non-PPR makes it worse) so yea I can 1 of them(or Aaron Jones too) but I think of the guys you mentioned all but Ekeler will be gone and idk if Ekeler at 17 is good value. At that point I might take Kelce

16 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

It's definitely RB heavy but on a crazy high level. I expect the first 7 picks to be RB and I dont think I can pull the trigger on Michael Thomas at 8(Non-PPR makes it worse) so yea I can 1 of them(or Aaron Jones too) but I think of the guys you mentioned all but Ekeler will be gone and idk if Ekeler at 17 is good value. At that point I might take Kelce

Ekler is the lowest rated at 14th overall RB, basically meaning 14 picks to miss out on all those rbs, so practically no other position would be taken for one not to drop to you, uh 2 non rb picks for you to miss out on all of them? You think thats likely?

BTW in one of my leagues everyone gets to choose their draft spot in order of the standings after playoffs, ie champ gets first choice and last place doesnt choose, they get what spot is left

Edited by Motion

18 minutes ago, Motion said:

Ekler is the lowest rated at 14th overall RB, basically meaning 14 picks to miss out on all those rbs, so practically no other position would be taken for one not to drop to you, uh 2 non rb picks for you to miss out on all of them? You think thats likely?

BTW in one of my leagues everyone gets to choose their draft spot in order of the standings after playoffs, ie champ gets first choice and last place doesnt choose, they get what spot is left

Lucky you, I make playoffs every year lol

And yes I think its quite possible that the only non-RBs taken before my pick 17 are Thomas-LJax-Mahomes