College Football and Covid19 (Cancellations, Postponements etc)

candyman93

I think the CFP, ACC, Big 12 and SEC would all be embarrassed if the AP decides to wait on awarding a national champion until the Big Ten and Pac-12 play, and then have the AP decide to award its national championship to an undefeated Big Ten or Pac-12 team instead of the CFP winner (who is guaranteed the Coaches' Poll title).

The CFP was designed to completely eliminate split titles, something even the BCS couldn't do.

So, the split title possibility alone should preclude anyone from playing in the fall.

6 hours ago, Danger said:

ESPN is struggling to bring in viewers in an awful way right now, you think they'd turn up one of the best things they have going for them?

This just in, breaking news: Money causes more problems than it solves

7 hours ago, Danger said:

ESPN is struggling to bring in viewers in an awful way right now, you think they'd turn up one of the best things they have going for them?

Also, if ESPN can wait to televise NBA playoff games until August then they can certainly wait until spring for the CFP

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

We CaN tRuSt CoLlEgE kIdS

Dude, we can't even trust MLB players outside of a bubble but we're supposed to believe 18-23 year olds will make sound decisions? Looooooooool

Slightly off topic, but the amount of colleges returning to in-person classes is nuts to me.  

But yeah, if we can't trust professionals making 6 figure minimums, why should we just the college kids who are away from home for the first time? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Slightly off topic, but the amount of colleges returning to in-person classes is nuts to me.  

But yeah, if we can't trust professionals making 6 figure minimums, why should we just the college kids who are away from home for the first time? 

We are nationally WORSE now than we were in March when college completely shutdown. This is going to make it worse and put a huge burden on small college towns. 

Also this kinda highlights the narrative Trevor Lawrence and others are pushing that it’s just as dangerous at home than it is at college. 

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell you aggravating 30 thousand kids aged 18-22 on a campus in a town and community designed to foster a large social experience with dorms and communal dining halls is an awful idea 

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

Also this kinda highlights the narrative Trevor Lawrence and others are pushing that it’s just as dangerous at home than it is at college. 

This statement is slightly confusing when I read it.

Do you mean players are safer at home or college...?

16 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This statement is slightly confusing when I read it.

Do you mean players are safer at home or college...?

I mean that’s it’s preposterous to take the position that college aged kids are safer at school or playing a sport than just staying home 

44 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I mean that’s it’s preposterous to take the position that college aged kids are safer at school or playing a sport than just staying home 

I don't know that that's true IF, and that is a big IF, football continued and the athletes were on campus but the rest of the students were virtual.

If you only had athletes who are more or less constantly monitored and can suffer the loss of something they care about (since apparently health isn't enough for college kids) they would pretty good in that regard I think. Obviously some will still be idiots but that some will be far less than the many at home and will be quicker to be caught and tested. 

Where it is ludicrous is to think a campus full of students will take the proper precautions. 

• Like 1