College Football and Covid19 (Cancellations, Postponements etc)

candyman93

58 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I don't know that that's true IF, and that is a big IF, football continued and the athletes were on campus but the rest of the students were virtual.

If you only had athletes who are more or less constantly monitored and can suffer the loss of something they care about (since apparently health isn't enough for college kids) they would pretty good in that regard I think. Obviously some will still be idiots but that some will be far less than the many at home and will be quicker to be caught and tested. 

Where it is ludicrous is to think a campus full of students will take the proper precautions. 

The entire lie that student athletes are students first and athletes second and the value of their work is compensated via scholarships that provide an invaluable college experience goes out the window the moment you say “ok it’s not safe for all the other students but the athletes need to be here so we can have sports and they need to assume the risk we won’t let other students take”. 

It’s impossible to justify it on any grounds other than “we are willing to take chances with athletes because of the money involved” 

14 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The entire lie that student athletes are students first and athletes second and the value of their work is compensated via scholarships that provide an invaluable college experience goes out the window the moment you say “ok it’s not safe for all the other students but the athletes need to be here so we can have sports and they need to assume the risk we won’t let other students take”. 

It’s impossible to justify it on any grounds other than “we are willing to take chances with athletes because of the money involved” 

I don't claim they are students first. We can debate the value of a scholarship another time, but I don't at all deny that they are athletes first.

And I do think that if it is just athletes on campus they are safer than if they were home.

But campuses opening up to all students is just dumb. Anyone who thinks there can be proper protocols in place that will be followed is insane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'm just baffled by the audacity of all these entitled people in this country. So damn dumb. 

Justin Fields starting the petition is kind of hilarious though. Everyone who has started a Change.org petition knows that it's pointless and they won't change anything, but as the signatures pile up now Fields is going to have to worry about getting his hopes up, even though he knows it's over.

Basically this is all a giant metaphor where Fields is now an honorary Wisconsin fan. And, like always, OSU is the plague.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Justin Fields starting the petition is kind of hilarious though. Everyone who has started a Change.org petition knows that it's pointless and they won't change anything, but as the signatures pile up now Fields is going to have to worry about getting his hopes up, even though he knows it's over.

Basically this is all a giant metaphor where Fields is now an honorary Wisconsin fan. And, like always, OSU is the plague.

I actually clicked on the petition today and was surprised by how low the signature level was. 220,000 doesn’t seem great after almost 24 hours on a Sunday after it gained a lot of publicity yesterday. 

Changing Kevin Warren’s opinion on this is hopeless for anybody. People should have been clued in, the dude gives every press conference with a shrine to himself as his backdrop. 

Kevin-Warren.png?resize=905,509&ssl=1

It’s cute that anyone thinks this dude cares about the opinion of some college kid on this. Or anyone tbh. 

54 minutes ago, winitall said:

I actually clicked on the petition today and was surprised by how low the signature level was. 220,000 doesn’t seem great after almost 24 hours on a Sunday after it gained a lot of publicity yesterday. 

Because most people aren't willing to risk death just to hear Beth Mullins call Purdue-Northwestern at 11 AM one last time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because most people aren't willing to risk death just to hear Beth Mullins call Purdue-Northwestern at 11 AM one last time.

To be completely honest, it slightly renewed my faith in people. I guess I assumed there were more Clay Travis followers out there than in actuality. 

I have to admit that I'm surprised that the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are continuing with their football seasons for the simple fact that there could potentially be lawsuits in the future.  Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way but are those conferences not afraid of a current player suing them years down the line?  If there are games played and a player catches covid-19 in which they experience some type of health complications in the future, what is stopping that former player from suing the University for negligence? I'm no lawyer and perhaps I'm being pessimistic but is this not a possibility?  With no way of protecting themselves from possible litigation in the future, is the risk worth it now to force a season with the potential to lose possibly millions in the future?

Peace!!!

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Changing Kevin Warren’s opinion on this is hopeless for anybody. People should have been clued in, the dude gives every press conference with a shrine to himself as his backdrop. 

It’s cute that anyone thinks this dude cares about the opinion of some college kid on this. Or anyone tbh. 

This picture is like something out of a parody.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

It would be more acceptable to have that background if he was quarantined at his mom's house.

• Like 1