College Football and Covid19 (Cancellations, Postponements etc)

candyman93

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Lol I live here. I know what’s going on.

And the internet w/ people and their videos help people who don't live there see what is going on. But if that's the logic you're going to use, you're not in a place to criticize anyone else from a different geographical region b/c, you know, your own logic. Be consistent.

• Like 2

I still don’t see anybody playing this fall. North Carolina is pausing their activities. Notre Dame seems on the fence. Pretty soon we will probably reach a point where the SEC is playing by themselves and Clemson playing the Citadel 10 times and calling that the college football fall season.

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And the internet w/ people and their videos help people who don't live there see what is going on. But if that's the logic you're going to use, you're not in a place to criticize anyone else from a different geographical region b/c, you know, your own logic. Be consistent.

😂 

7 hours ago, Danger said:

@Oregon Ducks @BobbyPhil1781

Stick to football or take it to DMs

This was long over on my end at this point. I even suggested the DM route and said the discussion wasn't for the forums. He used the "nuh uh I'm from here you're not" logic which killed everything. No more from me on it. No need to fret 

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

bUt ThE b1g LeAdErShIp BaD tHoUgH

The Michigan 247 site is currently debating whether “as a result of” means that COVID caused the heart condition or if the heart condition magically showed up on its own.  Leaders and the best baby

5 minutes ago, winitall said:

The Michigan 247 site is currently debating whether “as a result of” means that COVID caused the heart condition or if the heart condition magically showed up on its own.  Leaders and the best baby

I dare anybody to read and summarize 10 pages of Sparty board discussion on this without becoming suicidal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I dare anybody to read and summarize 10 pages of Sparty board discussion on this without becoming suicidal.

I actually went over there after seeing this and it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting tbh. They have a super-long thread about COVID but almost nothing related to football and the virus. Michigan site may be worse because in addition to what I mentioned earlier we have non-lawyers trying to tell actual lawyers about the billions in damages the players are going to get from the B1G for canceling. 

Edit: I just mean as it relates to football and the virus. The OT topics on there are downright terrifying for humanity. 

Edited by winitall
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, mse326 said:

I mean I could answer it, whether I believe it or not, and whether you accept it or not.

Our job here at [insert university here] is to prepare our students as best we can for adulthood and their future careers. To our varsity athletes we are not just providing and intellectual education but an education in their sport of choice in which many wish to pursue their future careers. Is incumbent on us to provide all of our students with the best education we can in a safe manner. Due to the current health crisis we do not feel we can achieve that with our full student body on campus. This virus is too infectious and too dangerous for any protocols to be able to protect our university community in such large numbers. While we recognize that in person learning is beneficial to many of our student we are confident we can continue to provide a world class education in a remote setting. This, however, is not true for our athletes in their athletic endeavors. In person training, practice, and game play is essential to further their athletic education and best prepare them for the next step. While many will not reach that level we as a university work tirelessly to provide all our students with the best preparation we can to give each and every student the best chance at pursuing the career they want. The decreased size of the students on campus when only athletes are present is such that we feel proper protocols can be implemented to keep those present safe. Accordingly we believe it is in the best interest of all parties involved to allow our athletes on campus while the remainder of our student body remains safely in their homes and taught remotely. 

Okay then explain why all the other sports and clubs like drama and band and art can’t be there too

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Okay then explain why all the other sports and clubs like drama and band and art can’t be there too

I mean your asking about a hypothetical, not knowing what a school would do. As to sports my "explanation" never distinguished football from other spots. I would have a much harder, maybe impossible, time doing so for just football. If they limited it to sports that participate in the NCAA or similar national organization but didn't include intramural that would be pretty easy. And that leads to clubs. Clubs while providing benefits are meant solely as intramural or extracurricular activities. They aren't designed to to educate students for future careers even participation in them has such an indirect effect. Further many clubs can operate remotely just as classes can.

As to drama and band specifically I would say it would have to follow how the classes are being taught. For drama and music majors these things are obviously parted of their curriculum so I have to imagine any change in educating remotely finds a way to deal with those students that give them proper education. If it doesn't that is actually a completely separate issue as it is things leading directly to their degree requirements.

And just to be clear I typed that mostly as a devil's advocate response just to show how they could respond to the accusation. I am under no illusion that that would actually be why. There is no doubt it is about money and any justification is post hoc.