Bears LB Danny Trevathan is Suspended for 2 Games

Soko

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Deserved

To be honest, it's way too light.

Adams was down, covered by 2 other defenders, defenseless, and Trevathan not only hit him, but left his feet, went helmet to helmet, and the play was clearly unnecessary for not a split second, but a full beat.  This was a dirty, dirty, dirty play.

Frankly it doesn't matter that Adams seems to be OK.  He could have had a career-ending injury.  If the league was serious about league safety, this would have been a huge suspension.  That's the only thing that will stop this type of BS.   

I say this as a guy grateful for what Trevathan did for my team when he played for us.  But if he was on my team, I'd still say the same thing.   SMH NFL.  4 games for PED, but only 2 games for a move that could have easily been a career ender.   Way to send a strong message (not really).  O.o

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Adams was down, covered by 2 other defenders, defenseless, and Trevathan not only hit him, but left his feet, went helmet to helmet, and the play was clearly unnecessary for not a split second, but a full beat.  This was a dirty, dirty, dirty play.

Frankly it doesn't matter that Adams seems to be OK.  He could have had a career-ending injury.  If the league was serious about league safety, this would have been a huge suspension.  That's the only thing that will stop this type of BS.   

I say this as a guy grateful for what Trevathan did for my team when he played for us.  But if he was on my team, I'd still say the same thing.   SMH NFL.  4 games for PED, but only 2 games for a move that could have easily been a career ender.   Way to send a strong message (not really).  O.o

I mean, football is already a violent sport that condones hitting. There isn't much of a line between a hit that may or may not injure a player. If Adams gets up from that without a budge, is that hit really magnified as it is now? I don't think the flag even gets thrown, and I don't think Trevathan even gets suspended. And I'm not defending Trevathan here at all. 

4 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I mean, football is already a violent sport that condones hitting. There isn't much of a line between a hit that may or may not injure a player. If Adams gets up from that without a budge, is that hit really magnified as it is now? I don't think the flag even gets thrown, and I don't think Trevathan even gets suspended. And I'm not defending Trevathan here at all. 

The answer is, of course, that the reason it is a suspendable offense is because of its likelihood in resulting in injury (like it did here). So the question of "What if he didn't get hurt?" is a non-starter.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Adams wasnt down nor had the refs ruled his forward progress was stopped.  Trevathan didnt leave his feet either.  Adams head lowers at the last second (cant tell whether he did it or if the defender forced it in the process of the tackle.  If you watch the replay it looks like trevathan is targeting the ball and when he gets there Adams head is there instead.  Its so far from being a dirty play that the play is over for a good 5 seconds or more before the ref comes over, sees how bad Adams is hurt, then throws the flag.  Trevathan lowered his helmet, which he is culpable for, but he wasnt using it as a weapon.  I feel bad for Adams, glad he's ok.  But there was no intent here and he was just the victim of circumstances

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The answer is, of course, that the reason it is a suspendable offense is because of its likelihood in resulting in injury (like it did here). So the question of "What if he didn't get hurt?" is a non-starter.

That's not really what my point is. I brought it up to compare a suspension for a hit in correlation to something like a PED violation. Something that is obviously universally banned, against a hit, which is part of the sport....

4 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Adams wasnt down nor had the refs ruled his forward progress was stopped.  Trevathan didnt leave his feet either.  Adams head lowers at the last second (cant tell whether he did it or if the defender forced it in the process of the tackle.  If you watch the replay it looks like trevathan is targeting the ball and when he gets there Adams head is there instead.  Its so far from being a dirty play that the play is over for a good 5 seconds or more before the ref comes over, sees how bad Adams is hurt, then throws the flag.  Trevathan lowered his helmet, which he is culpable for, but he wasnt using it as a weapon.  I feel bad for Adams, glad he's ok.  But there was no intent here and he was just the victim of circumstances

Bears fan, right?

3 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

That's not really what my point is. I brought it up to compare a suspension for a hit in correlation to something like a PED violation. Something that is obviously universally banned against a hit, which is part of the sport....

I guess I don't understand.

9 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Pandora's box of player safety?

Just follow the rules and you won't get suspended. Simple.

It's kind of hard to do that. The difference between an illegal hit and a legal one is way too complex for it to be simply "Follow the rules" a defender can tackle a player  in a 100% elgal but the WR/RB/TE can lower his head and ram into the defender and 15 yard penalty. 

I'm not defending Trevathan but it's much harder to be a defender in this modern era of football than people realize. Still he deserved a 2 game suspension at the very least, but considering it's his first offense I think a 1 game suspension would've sufficed. 

Player Safety is never going to be an issue you can 100% solve sadly.

Archived