Bears LB Danny Trevathan is Suspended for 2 Games

Soko

34 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

It's 100% excuses. Why is it naive?

Football isn't the only collision sport in existence. It is however the one with the softest disciplinary system. (Even CFB has a targeting rule).

Suspended (2) games, reduced to (1)... What a joke. 

The NFL is even soft on PEDS. Sports that fall under WADA can ban athletes for up to two years. Repeat offender Cushing receives ten games, SOFT!      

No it's an explanation for the physics of the game. You act like those Physics are some how removed from the game and each player is responsible for the consequences of their hits. Like I keep saying if he hit square in the numbers there wouldn't be a single complaint.

And so what if Football isn't the only collision sport. Irrelevant. It has a "softer" system maybe because they understand the violent nature of the game or maybe because there are only 16 of these games. CFB has a targeting rule and you have seen that it's a controversial rule. Heck Id be willing to venture that more people are against it. 

Could care less about PED suspensions. Not what I'm talking about. They already have excessively punished Trevathan so you got your wish in regards to then being soft on penalties

18 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

That hit or rather where he was hit it what people want out. If that hit him square in the numbers nobody would object or say "let's get rid of those hits in football".

If he hits Adams in the numbers but because he led by the crown of his helmet he screws up his own head and/or neck is why these kinds of hits should be taken out of football.  We all love a good clean hit but not the kinds that put people's careers in jeopardy.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

If he hits Adams in the numbers but because he led by the crown of his helmet he screws up his own head and/or neck is why these kinds of hits should be taken out of football.  We all love a good clean hit but not the kinds that put people's careers in jeopardy.

Come on you wouldn't be clamouring for a suspension because of injury to himself. If you wanna get rid of those hits out of football, fine. No real issue with that. But don't be suspending players for hits like that especially if they have no history of such a play. 

26 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Come on you wouldn't be clamouring for a suspension because of injury to himself. If you wanna get rid of those hits out of football, fine. No real issue with that. But don't be suspending players for hits like that especially if they have no history of such a play. 

Perhaps the only way to eliminate these kinds of hits is to hit the offending player in the wallet by suspending them.  If the hitter is injured then no suspension is necessary because maybe then he'll understand why leading with the crown of your helmet is illegal in this league.

On 05/10/2017 at 7:01 PM, Kip Smithers said:

No it's an explanation for the physics of the game. You act like those Physics are some how removed from the game and each player is responsible for the consequences of their hits. Like I keep saying if he hit square in the numbers there wouldn't be a single complaint.

And so what if Football isn't the only collision sport. Irrelevant. It has a "softer" system maybe because they understand the violent nature of the game or maybe because there are only 16 of these games. CFB has a targeting rule and you have seen that it's a controversial rule. Heck Id be willing to venture that more people are against it. 

Could care less about PED suspensions. Not what I'm talking about. They already have excessively punished Trevathan so you got your wish in regards to then being soft on penalties

Yes, football's judicial system is soft... No, that's not a good thing.

Most have no overall problem with the CFB targeting rule, they only want it amended slightly, rather than abolished. The NFL doesn't yet have a targeting rule, but they easily could install one with the appropriate flexibility, & built in grading system.   

The physics only comes into play after he made the decision to drop his head early, & launch himself blind at the target.

I'll concede some ground for the sake of this argument, & say Trevathan's HTH hit was not malicious in intent. But it was reckless, & he is still culpable for his careless actions, & poor technique. For reckless actions that cause significant injury, I'd like to see either of the two following options enforced...

(Disclaimer - I expect all cases to be fairly reviewed... The below is on the basis of no priors) 

1) In game ejection is enforced. Followed by a minimum (1) game suspension. For reckless play resulting in injury (Ejection counts as time served).  

2) Minimum (2) game suspension enforced after the game. For reckless play resulting in injury. 

OBJ's deliberate HTH hit on josh Norman in Dec 2015, should've been minimum (5+) game suspension. (With carry over). 

Get tough, NFL -  Stamp both reckless & deliberate forms of dangerous play out of the game.  

Archived