Tracking the linebacker corps

Kevin Pierre-Louis is a guy I have my eye on.

He’s a really smooth athlete, and he can make plays if you keep him clean and give him some space. He almost certainly covers better than Holcomb, so you would have to think he’s got a better chance at being on the field for 3 downs. I can see him being the guy they’re grooming to take over for Thomas Davis. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

He’s a really smooth athlete, and he can make plays if you keep him clean and give him some space. He almost certainly covers better than Holcomb, so you would have to think he’s got a better chance at being on the field for 3 downs. I can see him being the guy they’re grooming to take over for Thomas Davis. 

Grooming a 29 year old to take over for a 40 year old.  Only the Washington Football Team.  

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

I actually think Thomas Davis is the starting SLB while KPL is the starting WLB, but maybe they’re going to play Davis in the middle with KPL at SLB & Foster at WLB? 

I don’t know. It’s anyone’s guess. I’m still on team SDH, I really think he should be a starter and I felt that way last year too or at least he should’ve played in the nickel instead of Holcomb.

I guess we’re finally going to find out in the next few weeks.

Edited by turtle28

20 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Going to be interesting could really see any combo of the 7  on the field together, Davis,KPL,Foster,Holcolm,SDH,Bostic,and Anderson

Same here man. I’m very interested to see the competition of the LB corps. I’m most excited about this competition. I think they all can play, so unlike the competition at #2 WR, LG, LT & TE - where we hope those guys can play like a good starter - I’m most excited about the LB competition bc I think they are better players.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Same here man. I’m very interested to see the competition of the LB corps. I’m most excited about this competition. I think they all can play, so unlike the competition at #2 WR, LG, LT & TE - where we hope those guys can play like a good starter - I’m most excited about the LB competition bc I think they are better players.

The fact that the guys were talking I feel comfortable starting especially this year behind this line while they gel I’m okay with. Hopefully guys like Parsons declare I want that guy in our LB core!!!

49 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

The fact that the guys were talking I feel comfortable starting especially this year behind this line while they gel I’m okay with. Hopefully guys like Parsons declare I want that guy in our LB core!!!

I’d love to get Parsons’s next year if we miss on Sewell. Sewell’s still my #1 choice, but that could change if Christian or Charles end up looking at least serviceable at LT.

Gun to my head, I guess I’d say I think the week one starters will be Thomas Davis (SLB), Jon Bostic (MLB), and Cole Holcomb (WLB). 

I’d expect KPL to get a lot of playing time in nickel packages from the very beginning, and eventually I’ll guess that they’ll phase him in and Davis out. 

As Reuben Foster continues to get healthier, I think he’ll take over for Holcomb at WLB. Which will, in turn, raise the question of whether Holcomb (or SDH) can unseat Bostic for the starting MLB spot. My guess is “no,” and that the future MLB is not currently on the roster, but I’d certainly like them to get a chance to see whether they can do it. 

Total guesswork on my part, just a stab at how I could see it playing out.

• Like 1

https://riggosrag.com/2020/08/14/reuben-foster-washington-football-team-jaylon-smith/3/

I like this article comparing Reuben Foster to Jaylon Smith. Obviously, Foster has to get back and stay healthy to become that kind of linebacker. I would say that he could look like Jaylon looked when he first got on the the field after the Cowboys drafted him, which was his 2nd year, his rookie year he didn’t play bc of the knee injury.

If we re-sign Foster, there’s a possibility he develops over the next few years into a Smith type LB that Rivera was eluding to during his interview. 

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

https://riggosrag.com/2020/08/14/reuben-foster-washington-football-team-jaylon-smith/3/

I like this article comparing Reuben Foster to Jaylon Smith. Obviously, Foster has to get back and stay healthy to become that kind of linebacker. I would say that he could look like Jaylon looked when he first got on the the field after the Cowboys drafted him, which was his 2nd year, his rookie year he didn’t play bc of the knee injury.

If we re-sign Foster, there’s a possibility he develops over the next few years into a Smith type LB that Rivera was eluding to during his interview. 

Jaylon Smith also didn't have a shoulder ready to fall off.  I think we need to temper the expectations down even more for Foster, especially after watching the film before he was claimed by the team, because him playing with one arm looked like the worst LB in the league.  

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Jaylon Smith also didn't have a shoulder ready to fall off.  I think we need to temper the expectations down even more for Foster, especially after watching the film before he was claimed by the team, because him playing with one arm looked like the worst LB in the league.  

Coming off a full season of no football and just working on getting healthy. How do you think that shoulder is doing today? Did him recovering from knee surgery not also give his shoulder more time to heal as well? I would say yes. While I understand the need to be cautious I'd be optimistic as well with the reports coming out as of lately. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:24 PM, e16bball said:

Looks like you not the only one to keeping a eye on KPL

54 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, and he has have rehabbed that injury. The shoulder injury was two years ago. You really, really don’t like Reuben Foster do you?

Edited by turtle28