Can Thad Moss be our next Mike Sellers?

turtle28

‪Mike Sellers Jacks Up Kenoy Kennedy

I could see Thad Moss lighting up safeties after catching a pass out of the backfield in the flat, on a wheel route or across the middle after Haskins fakes a handoff to Peterson or Love on 1st or 2nd down.

11 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Sellers moved well for a guy that was 6’3 and 270 lbs. 

Thad Moss same height and 250 lbs. 

I can see him as a nice option off the line on 3rd and short to move the chains. Not sure if he would be used the same way as Sellers. Haven’t seen a lot of ST offense. 

That’s what I’m thinking too man. I think Moss can be a good lead blocker, we’ll develop into that as Sellers did and Moss is a good enough route runner with good hands that can be effective in the passing game as Mike Sellers was.

I know a lot of people have concerns about Moss’s length and whether he can be effective as an in-line blocker on the edge, well having him play FB & H-back fixes that issue.

42 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Sellers was a dog!!! He really helped our run game and he was a cool player man. I’d love Thad to have any impact worth remembering if it’s to the level of Sellers it’s a huge steal as a UDFA!!!

I have Mike Sellers’s jersey. Doesn’t fit me anymore though, it’s from when I weighed 145 pounds 12 years ago, now I’m 185. Haha 😂 

Edited by turtle28

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I have Mike Sellers’s jersey. Doesn’t fit me anymore though, it’s from when I weighed 145 pounds 12 years ago, now I’m 185. Haha 😂 

Man your doing good!!! I wish I could get there!!! Metabolism is crazy. Eat all day but 165 to 169 is it. Lots of stairs and I run a lot though. But I’d love to get to 180. But that’s awesome you still have that jersey!!!

Just now, ripsean21 said:

Man your doing good!!! I wish I could get there!!! Metabolism is crazy. Eat all day but 165 to 169 is it. Lots of stairs and I run a lot though. But I’d love to get to 180. But that’s awesome you still have that jersey!!!

I wish my metabolism didn’t slow down when I was in my mid 30s. I’m not as active as I should be, that’s why I’ve put on 40 pounds of the last decade. I used to work in a grocery store and was always running around checking prices, stocking shelves, loading/unloading trailers etc, now I have an office job and sit on my butt half the time.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Sellers moved well for a guy that was 6’3 and 270 lbs. 

Thad Moss same height and 250 lbs. 

I can see him as a nice option off the line on 3rd and short to move the chains. Not sure if he would be used the same way as Sellers. Haven’t seen a lot of ST offense. 

I think he goes the direction of ignoring it for the most part.  The Panthers under his father were exclusively one-RB.  Most teams now in goal line situations will bring in an extra lineman to block somewhere, whether that's in the backfield, or putting them on the line and kicking a TE back.  The FB/H-back is really a dying breed, just about all teams have abandoned it.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think he goes the direction of ignoring it for the most part.  The Panthers under his father were exclusively one-RB.  Most teams now in goal line situations will bring in an extra lineman to block somewhere, whether that's in the backfield, or putting them on the line and kicking a TE back.  The FB/H-back is really a dying breed, just about all teams have abandoned it.  

I mean...Alex Armah played about 125 snaps per season in that role while Norv was there. Call it 8ish snaps per game. Caught a few passes, ran for a few TDs over the two years. 

Not a big role, but a lot more than we ever saw with Gruden. 

I’d love to see Thad Moss in that sort of role. It would be more of an H-back than a traditional FB, I’d assume, but he’s a pretty hard-nosed football player from what I’ve seen. I think he’s probably the best bet on the roster to fit into a role like that, though it would be interesting to see how Hentges would fare if they shifted him to such a position. 

That said, for my money at least, the next Mike Sellers is right up I-95, burying LBs and playing defense for the Ravens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I mean...Alex Armah played about 125 snaps per season in that role while Norv was there. Call it 8ish snaps per game. Caught a few passes, ran for a few TDs over the two years. 

I’d love to see Thad Moss in that sort of role. It would be more of an H-back than a traditional FB, I’d assume, but he’s a pretty hard-nosed football player from what I’ve seen. I think he’s probably the best bet on the roster to fit into a role like that, though it would be interesting to see how Hentges would fare if they shifted him to such a position. 

That said, for my money at least, the next Mike Sellers is right up I-95, burying LBs and playing defense for the Ravens. 

Darrel Young played in 209 snaps in 2014 & 109 snaps in 2015 and then, Callahan and/or Gruden wanted to move in a different direction w/ 2 TEs more instead of a FB w/ one TE, they went w/ two TEs more w/ Reed & Davis. That decision probably hurt Alfred Morris and our running game more than anything in 2015 and for the rest of Gruden’s tenure as HC.

That being said, I agree with the rest of your post.

Edited by turtle28

21 hours ago, e16bball said:

Fair point on the h-back.  I think if they had planned on having one, we would hear something by now.  And I don't think Moss is going to just end up in that blocking role.  Maybe Hentges gets it.  I still think they go with an extra lineman in many of those situations. 

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Fair point on the h-back.  I think if they had planned on having one, we would hear something by now.  And I don't think Moss is going to just end up in that blocking role.  Maybe Hentges gets it.  I still think they go with an extra lineman in many of those situations. 

I’d welcome the jumbo package! Also, let’s not forget Ryan Anderson has done fairly well as a lead blocker on goal line and short yardage. So, we don’t need to waste a roster spot on a FB when Anderson can play there a handful of plays a game.

The Thad Moss hype is actually mind-numbing. He was an undrafted free agent, and probably for reason. If his name was Thad McDougall, nobody would care about him.

Not to mention, Scott Turner basically said he is still rehabbing his foot injury. With the season one month away, it seems doubtful he will make any sort of impact.

Carry on...